7234 Injector pump / runaway

/ 7234 Injector pump / runaway #1  

Bobandpeni

Tractor
Cub Cadet 7234
Hi all,
I have a Cub 7234 with about 700 hours on it. We love the tractor, it is used to brush hog our pastures and drag our arena and gravel drives. My kids were running it last week and the engine ran away. It over-revved (my son-in-law said the tachometer was pegged at 3000 rpm) and continued running away even after the key was turned off. They called me, (as I was out of town) on how to shut it down and I said block the intake with a rag. They couldn't find the air intake so I told them to shut the fuel off at the fuel filter in the back. They finally got it shut down. Now that I'm home, I went to try to start it and it won't fire at all now. I turned the fuel back on and I have fuel at the injector pump but nothing at the injectors. I can hear the fuel shutoff valve click off but not on. The service manual I have is pretty bad so thought I'd try here next....any suggestions? I sure could use some help, we really need this tractor.

FWIW, I did find an injector pump at a place called Spencer Diesel and they have one for $1100. I'll spend that if necessary but would hate doing that if it's something simple. Certainly not a fuel shutoff valve if it ran away.

Thanks!
Bob
Massillon OH

/ 7234 Injector pump / runaway #2  
Don’t Try to start it.. u already know it ran away..
Remove the solenoid..& then the pump..
I can turn that pump around in a couple of days for probably less than half of that money..
If u want to send me some pictures of your engine and pump, I can walk you thru some diagnostic tests..
U can reach me directly at:
thepumpguysc@aol.com

/ 7234 Injector pump / runaway
For whoever might look at this thread, Mike Yale (thepumpguysc) rebuilt my pump for less than one third of what the retail guys wanted, he turned it around in 2 days and he talked me through the entire process. I cannot give a higher recommendation or review to Mike.

Also, for what it's worth, it is a piece of cake removing and replacing the injector pump in a Cub 7234.

I installed the pump today and my Cub is running like new again!

Thank you Mike for all of your help!!!

/ 7234 Injector pump / runaway
Picture of the Mike's rebuilt pump installed

Attachments

• IMG_1645.jpeg
    IMG_1645.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17