Help Me Design/ Build a Shop

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop
Uh oh.... anybody ever hear about a million RPMs from a dozer? Apparently the turbo has blown the seals and force fed engine oil into the intake. Had a bit of a runaway situation. I don't think the engine blew but it scared the mess outa me.

20230930_105143.jpg20230929_193056.jpg

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop #123  
Yikes. Diesel runaways are no joke, very scary and dangerous if the engine starts grenading and throwing parts out the side of the block. Did you have to stop it by choking off the intake, or did it eventually run out of surplus oil and quit?

If you ran at way overspeed for more than a few minutes, you might have a lot of issues now. Does it turn over freely? If you have glow plugs you can remove, I would pull them and inspect the cylinders with a bore-scope.

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop
It only ran away for a few seconds and stopped on its own. There is still plenty of oil. It's showing low now but nowhere near dangerously low.

I did re-start it (like an idiot) at low idle for a few seconds after and it sounded fine. Hopefully it was not long enough to cause more damage.

/ Help Me Design/ Build a Shop #126  
I just started building my house, and all but decided to wait on the shop. My wife and parents are on me about going ahead and building it while the house is going up.... They have a point, I really want a shop and need indoor storage for several things. We are planning on this being our retirement spot. I'm 40 and My wife is 44 so it needs to last for many decades.

My dream was a 50x60x12 red iron framed building. With inflation driving the price of the house so high, not to mention the shop price, that is not in the cards. Now hoping for at least 40x50x12. I know I can get 40' wood trusses, potentially 45'.

Proposed shop use:

1) Honey house/ bathroom with shower/ kitchenette for canning etc. This will likely be a framed out room 15x15 - 20x20 no set size but large enough for chores with A/C and ideally set up like an efficiency apartment. Initially I will rough in the plumbing for the shop construction and build out the rest over time.
2) General shop related tasks. light/ medium wood work, wrenching on random stuff, tractors, mowers, etc.
3) storage/ I bought a big shelf system from Bed Bath and Beyond when they went under. 12' tall and probably 40' long. lightish duty. no pallets but great for totes.
4) Motorcycle, mower and additional vehicle parking.

Proposed style.

A) Red iron frame - too expensive
B) Post Frame - Wood in the ground, Rot, Termites etc. Longevity? Much worry.
C) Stick built - Looks like potentially the best option for me.

I plan on getting the pad ready myslef, hiring concrete finishers, hiring framers and hiring out the metal skin installation. Planning on pulling power to a sub-panel from the house and wiring myself. I don't know anything about foundation requirements. Would prefer to add any required footing type things and pour all at once as opposed to digging footers, laying blocks, filling, then pouring the slab. There is probably around a 2' fall on the pad location so I would need to build up with the fill I set aside from my pond. It's clay and Shale, it was almost all shale but when I dug it back out for the driveway lots of the shale has broken down into clay.

I might could do a lot of the framing myself but I don't know the requirements for door headers and anchoring to the floor etc. Basically I'm not scared of hard work and can follow a plan but I don't have the knowledge for what's required.

Planning on 2 man doors and 2-3 overhead doors. At least one of those being about 18' wide.

Please help me with this. I know there have probably been several threads about this exact thing so links would likely also be helpful.
What do you have that you need an 18' wide OH door? Paving machine? 12'x12' OH Door at each end adjacent to corner of end and side wall with man door around the Corner. Possibly one side door in the centre of long wall. Dig and pour a suitable Foundation 3 blocks above grade. Build up from there from Engineered drawings. Keep Windows 8' high. No windows in Steel doors - designed to keep prowlers out. 200 Amp Service, Duplex outlets every 10' 3' above grade. Work on 25' x 40'.
2' of Fill is problematic, proceed carefully on this or reduce size to suit.
You may run afoul of Local Codes if you include living quarters. 10'x 15' max if you are being practical. Who will stay there and for how long?You will need a 3 piece bath and sewer or septic connections. Best to forget the Honey house. Small office with toilet, Heating and AC and wired for www. Big lazyboy and 70" TV. Run 1" waterline with tape marker and put Water Heater in Utility Room beside the office.
Lots of outdoor cameras, solar lighting. Don't mention Attic Storage or even build a stairway up there until after Local Final Inspection and Approval
It will cost 3x what you think and take 2x the time to build it.
Also consider Floor Drains and water line to both ends of shop depending on if you are in Winter environment.