Woodland Mills WC68 Chipper

/ Woodland Mills WC68 Chipper #1  

Hilbilly

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L6060HSTCC
I currently have an Agriease 4" gravity feed chipper which is a Chinese knock off of the Wallenstein. I've had it for around 10 years and it has chipped a lot of small stuff, which is all I chip. Normally nothing bigger than 2" to 3" but mostly green tree branches and green tree tops. It works OK but lately it seems to struggle pulling in the smaller branches and short pieces. So I am considering getting the WC68 because of the hydraulic drive. I've watched a ton of videos but they mostly show people chipping dry stuff or large stuff. The few I've seen that show it chipping green branches have leaves and the few I've seen showing green evergreen branches being chipped don't show very much and some show the brand starting but not finishing (maybe because it was having problems). Pretty much everything I chip is green cedar, pine and fir branches. I've read a few complaints about the chipper getting jammed when chipping lots of small green material and since that is the main function I need, I am concerned that this is not going to be much better than what I have now.

I use the chips for compost and usually end up taking the chips from the chipper, spreading them out and running over therm with the brush hog to get a finer material.

Anyone have experience with chipping lots of small green evergreen branches, using the WC68? They are currently on sale with free shipping and that got my attention.

All comments welcome regarding this chipper. I am not considering at any other chippers. It's either this one or I stay with what I have. Anything from the US is way too expensive, considering our Canadian dollar isn't worth anything these days.

Last edited:
   / Woodland Mills WC68 Chipper #2  
I was about to bite the bullet and get one of these to replace my chinese chipper 2 years ago. I was on a waiting list when they contacted me to say it was ready…but price increased $500 from original cost. I didnt do the sale. Increase was due to steel tarrifs.

instead i replaced blades and anvils on my jimna6 chipper. I know its cheap china crap, but it just keeps on working. Its chips green junk fine, just as long as you keep note thats its discharging from shoot.

last time i used it the support that holds the feed roller broke. And i noticed a zirk from pillow bearing had sheared off. Both were easily repaired.

cheap as it is, its 12 years old and just keeps working.

/ Woodland Mills WC68 Chipper #3  
Try sharpening or replacing the knives and bed knife, and also setting the knife to bed knife gap.

I think a powered chipper is much better than a self feeding one (I have both) but the self feeder should be able to be returned to it's original level with a tuneup.

I have a Woodmaxx 8H which is a totally different design to the Woodland Mills but it plows through green fir branches really well and doesn't clog. Fir is the best chipping of the 9 species of trees here (the rest are hardwoods).

/ Woodland Mills WC68 Chipper
Yesterday I pulled the bed knife and sharpened it. Found it was cracked. This is the second one that has cracked. I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with the mount for it. A quality issue. I welded it and replaced it. I have already sharpened the blades with a diamond stone. I reset the bed blade gap to 1/32" (as close as I can tell .... it's in a very difficult location to actually see the true gap). I set the gap for the one blade that was closest to the bed blade and the others all have bigger gaps. Probably another quality issue. It still struggles. Not working like it used to, so I know there is something I am missing. Like you say it should be able to return to original if all was done right.

I'm still interested in the WC68 though. I think it would be better.

/ Woodland Mills WC68 Chipper #5  
An Ottawa farmer sold me a used Chinese knockoff as a 4" Wallenstein. It has worked well on my Kubota B7510 for the last five years, though. I keep a spray bottle of valspar/old engine oil hanging from the tractor to keep the chute lubricated when chipping pine branches. They gum things up, but I trim a lot of pines. Black walnut branches (15 acres of them) are the easiest to chip, followed by basswood or butternut. Any branches which have long, straight twigs at the ends of the limbs (soft maple,mulberry) can clog the chute if the air flow through the chipper isn't high. I have thus formed the habit of hanging onto the tips of the end branches (I measured the distance to the knives) and pull the unchipped clumps out and discard them on the pile.

As I move around the pine/walnut plantings, I also run the chipper at whatever height is most comfortable to feed the stock, almost never on the ground.

/ Woodland Mills WC68 Chipper #6  
I can only tell you of my experiences with the WC68. Several years ago at our old house I wanted to clean out part of the woods in the front, about a half acre, and some in the back where the dogs were fenced in - another 1/2 acre or so. I wasn't taking down anything large, only scrub and trees < 4" at the base.
The chipper worked like a champ. It was pretty much all green and a pretty good mix of species including pines, oaks and beech. I don't ever remember it jamming. When my project was finished I sold it. That had to be 3-4 years ago.

Fast forward to this year. I bought a WC88. I have some work to do here at the new house and will probably sell it when I'm done.

My tractor only has 32hp and I can stall it if I feed 4-5" material in too fast. That's solved easily by slowing down the hydraulic feeder.

Last edited:
   / Woodland Mills WC68 Chipper #7  
I currently have an Agriease 4" gravity feed chipper which is a Chinese knock off of the Wallenstein. I've had it for around 10 years and it has chipped a lot of small stuff, which is all I chip. Normally nothing bigger than 2" to 3" but mostly green tree branches and green tree tops. It works OK but lately it seems to struggle pulling in the smaller branches and short pieces. So I am considering getting the WC68 because of the hydraulic drive. I've watched a ton of videos but they mostly show people chipping dry stuff or large stuff. The few I've seen that show it chipping green branches have leaves and the few I've seen showing green evergreen branches being chipped don't show very much and some show the brand starting but not finishing (maybe because it was having problems). Pretty much everything I chip is green cedar, pine and fir branches. I've read a few complaints about the chipper getting jammed when chipping lots of small green material and since that is the main function I need, I am concerned that this is not going to be much better than what I have now.

I use the chips for compost and usually end up taking the chips from the chipper, spreading them out and running over therm with the brush hog to get a finer material.

Anyone have experience with chipping lots of small green evergreen branches, using the WC68? They are currently on sale with free shipping and that got my attention.

All comments welcome regarding this chipper. I am not considering at any other chippers. It's either this one or I stay with what I have. Anything from the US is way too expensive, considering our Canadian dollar isn't worth anything these days.
In your post the word "chipper" is highlighted 4 times.

Are you asking about the Woodland Mills WC68 or the one your link directs us to WoodMaxx?

I have a woodland mills wc68. So far I have chipped mostly storm damage Spruce and had no problems.

One minor irritation is that it is difficult to feed a larger than 3" butt end first into the unit.

I can do it by cutting the butt at a sharp angle or by daisy-chaining the branches.

Last edited:
That's weird! I did not highlight the word chipper and I certainly did not intend for a link to Woodmax. As the thread title states, I am interested in the Woodland Mills WC68. Why is my post being directed to a different site. Something is wrong here!!!!! Do I need to report this to Admin?

Something weird is going on! When I type a post the word "chipper" does not get highlighted but when I hit the "post reply" it does. When I go back and edit the post the highlighting disappears.

I just want some feedback from owners of the WC68.

Edit: it just keeps getting highlighted! No matter what I do!!!!!!! Not Happy!!!!!!

Last edited:
   / Woodland Mills WC68 Chipper #10  

I can "almost" help you out. I have the 8" model of the Woodland Mills you're looking at. I'm a machinist by trade, and have done a lot of fabrication work too. The quality and thickness of materials of my WC88 are excellent. The hydraulic feed is a bit fussy, in that you breath on it and it goes from too fast to too slow. Once you fine the right spot, it does stay put. If you're just chipping fir boughs it will clog, as will most chippers. You need WOOD not just branches full of those fine needles. If I'm into a bunch of fir or hemlock boughs, I run through a few branches, then follow up with a good chunk of wood to clear out the needles. If you can swing the WC88, it does allow you to feed in a much bigger bunch of stuff than the 6" model. It's not that you're going to chip 8" firewood, but rather the bunching up of branches feeds better through a bigger chute. Hope this helps. The Woodland Mills unit we have is really a great attachment for our property. Wish I had one years ago! Keep the belts tight, don't chip dirty limbs and you should be fine.