LA135 cold start issue...

/ LA135 cold start issue... #1  

Bill544

Tractor
John Deere LA135
Folks, I have a gently used (2009 model) LA135 with the 22 HP Briggs-Stratton engine. The tractor only has 107 hours on it. I bought it from a neighbor in August 2022 with only 80 hours for a very good price as her husband had passed away and the mower was just sitting in her garage.

I use this machine at least weekly from April - November each year and it performs great. my only issue is this:

When cold, I need to give it a very small spray of starting fluid to get it running. Once started, it runs fine and will restart all day long with no problem.

I'm just wondering why this tractor needs this initial shot of starting fluid. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks very much...

Bill
Hedgesville, WV

/ LA135 cold start issue... #2  
I'd kindly suggest you find a different way to start it, as starting fluid may not be your best solution in the long run. It is a handy crutch and also the mower was a good price and may be expendable. but...

Look for the reason that fuel is not available after sitting a spell.

Welcome to TBN

/ LA135 cold start issue... #3  
Folks, I have a gently used (2009 model) LA135 with the 22 HP Briggs-Stratton engine. The tractor only has 107 hours on it. I bought it from a neighbor in August 2022 with only 80 hours for a very good price as her husband had passed away and the mower was just sitting in her garage.

I use this machine at least weekly from April - November each year and it performs great. my only issue is this:

When cold, I need to give it a very small spray of starting fluid to get it running. Once started, it runs fine and will restart all day long with no problem.

I'm just wondering why this tractor needs this initial shot of starting fluid. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks very much...

Bill
Hedgesville, WV

I would suggest cleaning and possibly rebuilding the carburetor. Today's ethanol blends in the fuel tend to corrode carburetors, especially if they sit for long periods of time. There are a number of fuel stabilizers on the market that can help reduce this effect when added to the fuel.

Hope this helps!

/ LA135 cold start issue... #4  
I don't know the Briggs engine. I've had a similar issue with a similar size Kohler for years. It turned out to be the vacuum operated fuel pump. Disconnect the output of the pump. Put a short piece of hose on it to direct it into a can then crank the engine. If little or no fuel comes out you've found your culprit. Once the engine starts the higher speed would allow it to pump enough fuel to run.

/ LA135 cold start issue... #5  
If this is every cold start, 9 out of 10- the control cable is misadjusted and the choke is not closing. This engine will also tend to do this after sitting a couple of months. Starting more frequently helps.