X530 Issue Troubleshooting Help

/ X530 Issue Troubleshooting Help #1  

ubelongoutside

Tractor
Kubota L2800D & John Deere GX335
I have an X530 I've had for about 2 years. Late last season it started having an issue where it will stutter when I engage the blades at full throttle. Usually this happens when I've had to stop the blades to move something or back up without pulling up on the engagement lever, then go to restart the blades.

It almost sounds like its backfiring. It will go on for about 5 seconds and then resume normal operation. I figured it was a fuel flow issue, but then I noticed that it doesn't happen when I do it at half or less throttle, then go to full throttle after they're engaged.

I've had some other issues I've fixed and things I've tried so far that I thought could be contributing, but the issue remains. So far I've

had an ignition coil go out and replaced

found my choke lever wasn't returning to the open position, but fixed that too

gapped and replaced plugs

Any thoughts on other causes?

/ X530 Issue Troubleshooting Help #2  
Could it be related to the mower blade drive belts or perhaps the belt tensioner? Are the belts in good condition and clean?

Also, have the mower blade spindles been lubricated?

Just wondering if the engagement of the belts/blades at full throttle somehow impacts the engine to cause the sounds whereas the engine seems to work fine at lower speeds...

Let us know what you find out and good luck!

/ X530 Issue Troubleshooting Help #3  
You say you replaced plugs, plural. Are you sure both cylinders are firing and running? Your symptoms sound like my Craftsman mower when one cylinder wasn't working.

/ X530 Issue Troubleshooting Help
You say you replaced plugs, plural. Are you sure both cylinders are firing and running? Your symptoms sound like my Craftsman mower when one cylinder wasn't working.
Yes, I replaced both. I presume both are working normally as other than this issue the engine runs smoothly. When I suspected the coil I tested both and one clearly wasn't making the test light come on, and the tractor wouldn't start. I replaced it and it started right up.

/ X530 Issue Troubleshooting Help #5  
Can you slowly apply the choke to see if it runs any better When it is running rough? Might help point towards fuel vs spark issue.

/ X530 Issue Troubleshooting Help #6  
Check that both cylinders are firing when this "stutter" happens. Think roadworthy has a point.

Pull one of the spark plug wires off and see if one or the other is not firing. Let us know so we can get past this point and move to the next for you.

/ X530 Issue Troubleshooting Help #7  
Can you slowly apply the choke to see if it runs any better When it is running rough? Might help point towards fuel vs spark issue.
A stutter may happen when starting a mower deck and is caused by a lean fuel condition. Agree^^, test this by having the choke partly pulled when turning the deck on. If it takes care of the stutter, there may be a little debris in the main jet circuit that is causing the problem.

I'll try the choke idea as the problem started about the time I found out I had a sticky choke. I fixed the sticky choke and the stuttering started.

If that's the case I'll have to pull the carb and clean it up.

Thanks all. I'll update next time I cut the grass.

Check that both cylinders are firing when this "stutter" happens. Think roadworthy has a point.

Pull one of the spark plug wires off and see if one or the other is not firing. Let us know so we can get past this point and move to the next for you.
I suppose I could get a second test light and have one on each cylinder too.

I'm thinking the lean fuel idea though might be the culprit as this started when I realized the choke was sticking closed and fixed that.

/ X530 Issue Troubleshooting Help #10  
The little node light testers aren't worth much. The light with about anything. Two barrel or single carb?