Disabled Snapper Zero Turn Towing Assistance (Hydrostatic-drive related question)

/ Disabled Snapper Zero Turn Towing Assistance (Hydrostatic-drive related question) #1  

Panik

Gold Member
NW Ga - somewhere near that time zone thingy
Tractor
Kubota bx2360
Hey folks... hopefully this is the correct forum as it relates to the hydrostatic drives on my zero turn.

The main belt and/or tensioner went out on our zero turn the other day when my son was mowing. As you might expect that happened in a place that's not conducive to making easy repairs. I'd like to use my tractor to slowly tow the zero turn back to my shop for repairs..... Distance might be around 4 chains of level ground.

My general thoughts were as follows:

- Disengage each of the two drive levers for the hydrostatic wheel drives at the rear of the unit
- Chain the rear of the zero turn to my FEL bucket and lift the rear wheels off the ground slightly
- Slowly/carefully tow the mower to the shop.

Thoughts/concerns... am I over thinking this?

/ Disabled Snapper Zero Turn Towing Assistance (Hydrostatic-drive related question) #2  
You should be good moving your mower under the conditions you describe. Like you state go slow and shortest distance possible if drive wheels are turning.

/ Disabled Snapper Zero Turn Towing Assistance (Hydrostatic-drive related question)
You should be good moving your mower under the conditions you describe. Like you state go slow and shortest distance possible if drive wheels are turning.

The feedback is much appreciated... definitely don't want to have to repair/replace two hydro-stat drives.

/ Disabled Snapper Zero Turn Towing Assistance (Hydrostatic-drive related question) #4  
I think once you switch it to the free-wheeling mode you shouldnt have to worry too much about speed or distance if towing with a tractor (aka you probably wont be going too fast). Id be surprised if the actual axle shafts were pressure lubricated.. if they arent theres not much difference towing it with engine on or off.

/ Disabled Snapper Zero Turn Towing Assistance (Hydrostatic-drive related question)
I think once you switch it to the free-wheeling mode you shouldnt have to worry too much about speed or distance if towing with a tractor (aka you probably wont be going too fast). Id be surprised if the actual axle shafts were pressure lubricated.. if they arent theres not much difference towing it with engine on or off.

Good to know... I haven't been able to tackle this yet, and was contemplating (without having looked) whether there was even a good place on the rear of the zero turn to chain-off to lift the rear while towing.

/ Disabled Snapper Zero Turn Towing Assistance (Hydrostatic-drive related question) #6  
usually on each zero hyd pump there is a valve you can back off so that it's freewheeling. or as you mention, lift rear & tow using front wheels. forcing the hydraulics w/o disengaging the valve will clearly damage hyd if you force by towing.

please correct me, disengaging the drive levers alone to pump won't make it freewheeling. the flow valve will have to be released @ pump if you intend to tow freewheel.

Last edited:
please correct me, disengaging the drive levers alone to pump won't make it freewheeling. the flow valve will have to be released @ pump if you intend to tow freewheel.
I ended up doing both.... towed the machine with the wheels slightly off the ground AND pulled the disconnect levers/valves (or however you want to call them at the back of the machine). I figured doing so was a good safety measure with how low I had the machine off the ground and how uneven our yard is.

/ Disabled Snapper Zero Turn Towing Assistance (Hydrostatic-drive related question) #8  
sounds like you did the right moves

/ Disabled Snapper Zero Turn Towing Assistance (Hydrostatic-drive related question) #9  
I have to tow my zero turn each year in the Spring because it will get stuck easily in wet areas. Just use the FEL with a tow strap onto the back bumpers of the ZTR, lift the ZTR just enough off the ground, and pull it out.

/ Disabled Snapper Zero Turn Towing Assistance (Hydrostatic-drive related question) #10  
i'd do better with bar tires rather than turf on my zero rider & walk behind. yes, ZT gets hung up easily on wet areas & slopes.