kubota B2601 tiller question

/ kubota B2601 tiller question #1  

Col56

Tractor
Kubota B2601
Hi all,

Does anyone know if I can use a Kubota FS1000 48" Tiller with the Kubota B2601.

My son in law lent me this tiller and I want to be sure that it can be used before I unload it off the trailer. This tiller has a sliding shaft with the PTO connection on one end and it slides into the larger shaft connected to the tiller. The inner sliding shaft comes out of the larger one. Don't know the proper names for these.

How would I know if it can't be used ? I assume that if it hooks up correctly to the spline and the shaft isn't to long then the possibilty is that it can be used but that's just my thinking.

Thanks for any help.

/ kubota B2601 tiller question #2  
Welcome to TBN.

Major concersn.......

- the PTO shaft is neither too long or too short. I know of no way to check this other than hooking the tiller up to the 3-point. LEAVE THE PTO SHAFT LOOSE ON ONE END. Raise the tiller to full height - bring the PTO shaft end to correct alignment on the unconnected end. Mark the shaft. Do the same when the tiller is fully lowered and at the midpoint between fully up and fully down. You should have, at least, six inches of overlap - the shaft must not bottom out. It is recommended that there be, at least, three inches of non-contact when the shaft is at its shortest. I hope this make sense to you.

- normally, it is recommended that you have five PTO Hp per foot of implement width. So.....48" = 20 PTO Hp. You can certainly run the tiller with less. You just might have to go slower or multiple passes.

/ kubota B2601 tiller question #3  
I have tried to connect an implement to the tractor PTO for the first time.

I could not get the attachment to slide onto the PTO. I think it is a subtle alignment issue between the female splines of the implement and the male splines of the tractor PTO.

New PTO powered implements, connecting to new tractor PTO splines are always difficult. Once implement and tractor PTO parts are somewhat worn in, mating becomes easier.

Clean mating parts, lubrication and technique are the keys.

Most here like Eureka Fluid Film as PTO lube. I prefer wax chain lube in an aerosol can.

Grease is too thick.

WD-40 burns off. Shaft goes on "OK" cold but can be difficult to disconnect when hot. WD-40 leaves a sticky fish-oil residue which accumulates.

Connect the implement to the tractor via two Lower Link pins and one Top Link pin. Lift implement hydraulically until implement PTO shaft and tractor PTO spines are perfectly level, one with the other.

Turn tractor engine off, disengage PTO so tractor PTO splines can be turned by hand.

Turn male splines by hand until they align with female shaft indents. Slide shaft onto tractor splines. Retract whatever type of detent you have, button or collar, then push the implement shaft the final two inches onto the tractor PTO stub.

If the PTO shaft and tractor splines are NOT perfectly level it is almost impossible to shove implement shaft on to tractor PTO splines.

I am 74 years old. I can mount implement and connect the PTO on my heavier tractor without too much difficulty in five minutes

Hi folks...took a bit of time and fussing but wanted to update you. PTO connection problem was resolved by leveling the implement to the PTO.