Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #22  
Its obvious to me that I am going to have to really spend some time understanding the technology out there and its limitations that might be a problem for me.
There are enough inexpensive cameras out there that you should be able to select something inexpensive quickly, get a few out there and then analyze for the big bucks.
I'm partial to Wyze and have 30 to 40 active at any one time covering 3 geographically separate properties and a bunch of "special" use situations.
Special use includes set up for dog watching, FEL camera, trailer backup cam, monitoring the laundry.
I've had Reolink and several other brands but Wyze has been the best supported for the $$.

Last edited:
   / Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #23  
If you have a distance that's too far for basic ethernet (100m max), you can consider a fiber repeater; you can either use it to connect a wifi access point and then use wifi cameras or use it to directly connect (possibly through a hub/switch) hardwired cameras.

I have one that's specifically intended to extend USB a long ways - similar to this: Amazon.com
Mine came as a pair for that price, one for each end of the fiber.
They make ethernet extenders that are pretty much the same.
On my land it goes about 200m.

Downside of it is that it does require fiber, which you'll probably want to put in a conduit for protection (direct burial fiber gets expensive really fast and IMO doesn't provide enough protection).
I got 200m of 4-strand singlemode fiber with pulling eye at both ends, terminated at both ends (ie, connectors ready to go) for $380 a few years ago. I only needed one fiber, but figured having more than one was good in case one was damaged during installation, and more than one fiber wasn't much more expensive than just one.

One thing to consider is that wifi cameras are detectable in general; people will know there's wifi out in the forest - whether or not that's good is up to you - some people may consider that enough of a warning that they're under surveillance and leave, but others may decide to look for the cameras.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #24  
There is another important consideration. Chinese manufactured cameras are quite popular, such as reolink, amcrest, dahua, hikvision, empiretech, etc. But they also have a potential security risk. Actually many cameras do, but probably best to say especially Chinese cameras.

Years ago there was significant security penetrations done by Hikvision cameras. I believe the US government still has them on a banned list and not allowed for any governmental use.

I have a recently purchased Dahua camera. I installed it and it promptly asked permission to download and run the camera configuration program. I am security conscious, so I clicked "no" to not allow that program to download. What I found thereafter was the best camera features (intrusion, tripwire) are not possible to use unless you let the companion program download and run. Catch-22. That camera program is a .exe file that is capable of doing drastic damage if malware is included. So I have a fancy camera with fancy features but I can't use any of them unless I possibly expose my network to hackers.

I did some research on technical forums to better learn of the safety or risk of this program. I found one quite skilled individual who had found extensive malware in the program the camera wants to download. Such as a trojan or viruses. He is not the only one to report this but this individual seemed especially skilled to evaluate threats.

I began commenting with this individual on the tech forum, and found many others quickly joining in to assure everyone of the program's safety. As the suspicious type, I believe those "others" providing assurances actually or secretly work for the manufacturer. I do believe the individual who found the malware. Not only am I not allowing my camera to download the needed program but I am considering isolating it even further away from my other devices. So many bad things can happen if your security gets penetrated that it is worth staying away from risky things. Like many chinese cameras.

It's a difficult world to navigate with so many bad actors out there. Can't offer many solutions-- just altering folks to potential risks.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #25  
Dahau is a banned manufacturer in the USA.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #26  
   / Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #27  
Well here is one of many vendors that sells Dahua in the USA. Was this a total ban or just government ban?

@riptides is on the money: Deemed an "unacceptable risk to national security" by the FCC, along with Hikivision, Huawei, ZTE, and Hytera.

I would not endorse any camera that requires cloud storage of your images, especially if those images are stored outside of the US, e.g. China.

I think that your (@plowhog's) comments about not allowing the camera to download software is a great one. I would also take the time to lock your cameras IP address, and communication to and from just your computer(s), and / or your dedicated host offsite. Cameras have a well deserved reputation for leaking data, information, and just plain image export. This may require an significant upgrade to your home router, but in terms of security, it will be, I think, necessary, as networked cameras are effectively an open door to the outside world.

Cellular communication cameras have the advantage of a more secure communication link, but check where the data is being stored, and where the company is headquartered and manufacturing. Details matter for security on this issue.

All the best,

Peter

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #28  
The best night vision I have is my ATN night vision scope on my Savage 22-250 rifle. Deadly on yotes and anything else in the dark of night. I have the one that the government wanted to ban but were not successful or if they were, I never got notified. It's wicked. It not only gives you the sight picture but it calculates bullet drop and windage as well and it's Bluetooth so anyone nearby can watch the action as well. It's usually one and done. Out here it's never a bi-ped issue it's always a quadra ped issue. All we have are outside LED security lights that are dusk to dawn and that's it. One thing I've never been at all **** about is trespasser though with the way things are going today, I probably should be. We have a lot of Mexican migrant workers here during planting and harvest because we are surrounded by truck farms but all the migrants are very respectful and friendly and not a problem at all. It's the not locals that are the issue here. They come out here, get loaded and do stupid stuff. Last year I had one drive through my fence on the east side of the house and right into the creek where the state police found him passed out and his insurance company had to pay for the fence he drove through plus reimburse me for crop loss.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #29  
How close to your home does someone need to be before you open fire?

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #30  
Lol..^..
I had a customer that was picking up a pump one Saturday & wanted to know
“how late” is to late.??
I said, u better get here before the sun goes down, cuz I start shooting after that..
He made it in plenty of time..