Comparison What is the best brand of tractor?

/ What is the best brand of tractor? #361  
I looked it up, ended up down a rabbit hole of Italian articulating tractors; they're quite interesting machines.
They are interesting and there are a lot of articulating tractors made in Italy. My CAST tractor is not articulating is is just 4 wheel steering. You can rotate the seat and drive if both ways

/ What is the best brand of tractor? #363  
Until there is a MOPAR tractor I'll make do with whatever color does the job. :cool:

I guess you don’t actually want to use your tractor because the transmission is always busted.

/ What is the best brand of tractor? #365  
This could go on for ever and then start
all over again
toyota, gm and ford

willy

/ What is the best brand of tractor? #366  
As you focus on Massey Ferguson and New Holland tractors in your dealings, rest assured that you're aligning yourself with top-tier equipment that can meet the demands of modern farming and construction operations. Invest in Massey Ferguson tractors for unmatched quality and performance that will elevate your productivity and success.

Well seeded spam has been reported.

/ What is the best brand of tractor? #367  
When you look at manufacturing experience and numbers sold Kubota comes to mind.

/ What is the best brand of tractor? #369  
I have had many mopars since 1966 and this is the
problems I have had. 1969 Plymouth 189,000+ miles
new tranny, 1977 1/2 ton Dodge pickup resistor block
on fire wall would only last a year. I have had Dodge
cars and trucks, only one plymouth, 2 chryslers
My step brother fell asleep at the wheel totaled 2 cheveys and his Pontiac every 3 months the same thing broke after 3 times he got something different

willy

/ What is the best brand of tractor? #370  
Just as the title says what brand in Your Opinion is the best brand of tractors and why?

Let's say 120hp and under so most brands that have compacts but not big Ag tractors are still in the competition.
“Opinion” is certainly the key word here, because it eliminates all the wrong answers.

I can only comment on the brands that I have personal experience with, that being John Deere, Allis Chalmers, Ford, International Harvester, and Case. Since two of those (Allis Chalmers and Ford) have folded or been absorbed, I’ll take them out of the running.

That being said, a Ford was the first tractor I bought myself, I still have it and use it regularly, and it will likely outlast my grandkids. The first Allis (model D14) wasnt bad either, but I was happy to be rid of my last one (model C).

Case and IH are now combined so I’ll leave the pair in the running but my experience there has been mixed. I purchased a used Case 580C backhoe for my first employer and spent quite a few operating hours on it and have no complaints. I had my pick of (4) used ones and I picked the only one without a 4/1 bucket because the other three that had them were clearly much more worn down.

I’ve owned (2) IH tractors (both Cubs) and my experience with the first was poor, but that was mostly my own fault because it was very badly worn out when I bought it. The second one has been great so far.

I’ve logged more hours on Fords than all the others, because that was the preferred brand of my first employer, and including the two I have owned myself (model 8n & model 2110 diesel).

The first tractor I ever operated was my grandpa’s 1949 John Deere model M. That thing did an awful lot of work thru the years, and was the first tractor on our farm. Our kids are the 7th generation of our family to live here. I’m pretty sure it would still run if someone put a battery in it and tried it, but no one has in about 10 years. It’s under a tarp over at my parents place right now.

Grandpa bought it new, to replace his team of horses. In his later years he bought a used Allis D14. I remember him cutting hay and bailing hay with that, while I crimped and raked with the JD M.

When I saved up enough cash for a new tractor in 2005, I looked at John Deere, NH, and Kubota. I looked for something in the 40 hp range and found the best price on a NH, but not by much. JD and Kubota were about $ 400 more but had the edge in specs (hydraulic flow, lift capacity, etc). JD had a slight edge there and the closest dealer so that’s where I went. The American engine was another plus (other two were far eastern), as was my past history.

That JD (model 4120) has served me well the past 19 years, and certainly seems to have much more left in it. Maintenance on it (and the old JD M) seems a lot easier than all the Fords I’ve had, and the IH’s and Allis Chalmers.

I know my father in law seems very happy with the last two Kubotas that he’s had, but in my Opinion, John Deere is the best tractor with no real close competition. Even my little John Deere lawn tractor (15 hp LT155) has been great.

Last edited: