Cultivator type for my application. I don't know the name of it.

/ Cultivator type for my application. I don't know the name of it. #1  

UrbannGuerilla

Bronze Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers AC5050 / Ford 555B TLB / Ford 6600
I'm looking to use a cultivator with sweeps on it to clear southern pea walkways of weeds for the first part of the growing cycle until a canopy starts developing. I've searched the internet a few days looking at cultivators, and some cultivators are called chisel plows, or field cultivators. Some have springs and some don't, you have C tines and S tines, some have spike rows and "rolling baskets" behind them, some have gauge wheels. The options are endless. I just need help narrowing down the correct terminology to search for.

I'll describe the thing I think I need, and how I intend to use it, then I welcome your input or suggestions.
The cultivator needs to have the tines so they can be adjusted side to side to accommodate the different spacing, adjustable.
I don't think I can use rolling baskets or the spike levelers behind it, they'll crush/rip the peas up because its not just a barren field I'm running across- Its just going to be used to clear the walkways between rows of weeds.
Idk if I need gauge wheels. Seems they'd make even application easier in most cases, but I worry that the wheels wouldn't line up on the walkways, should the tine arrangement need to be changed. I've planted single rows before but this year I'm trying double rows so that's why some tine adjustment would be helpful. Please give me some input so I can at least start looking for the correct terminology (and any helpful features to look for) would be great.

/ Cultivator type for my application. I don't know the name of it. #2  
I'm looking to use a cultivator with sweeps on it to clear southern pea walkways of weeds for the first part of the growing cycle until a canopy starts developing. I've searched the internet a few days looking at cultivators, and some cultivators are called chisel plows, or field cultivators. Some have springs and some don't, you have C tines and S tines, some have spike rows and "rolling baskets" behind them, some have gauge wheels. The options are endless. I just need help narrowing down the correct terminology to search for.

I'll describe the thing I think I need, and how I intend to use it, then I welcome your input or suggestions.
The cultivator needs to have the tines so they can be adjusted side to side to accommodate the different spacing, adjustable.
I don't think I can use rolling baskets or the spike levelers behind it, they'll crush/rip the peas up because its not just a barren field I'm running across- Its just going to be used to clear the walkways between rows of weeds.
Idk if I need gauge wheels. Seems they'd make even application easier in most cases, but I worry that the wheels wouldn't line up on the walkways, should the tine arrangement need to be changed. I've planted single rows before but this year I'm trying double rows so that's why some tine adjustment would be helpful. Please give me some input so I can at least start looking for the correct terminology (and any helpful features to look for) would be great.
Maybe a disc harrow is the term you are looking for?
DSCF8971md.jpg

DSCF7672md.jpg

/ Cultivator type for my application. I don't know the name of it. #3  
I would think a rolling cultivator would be what you are talking about, that's what I use between rows of peas, corn, etc.They are fully adjustable depending on the width of the rows.

/ Cultivator type for my application. I don't know the name of it. #4  
Welcome to the mechanical weed control rabbit hole.

Sounds like you just want to some weed control cultivation in your row middles. I'd start with something like a sweep or a knife mounted on a shank. A sweep has the advantage of being commonly available and if set right can run pretty close to your pea plants and even potentially get some area underneath the canopy. Set the sweep to run right below the soil surface and it will cut the weeds right at the base. A knife wont disturb as much soil, but they're harder to find and mount for a tractor cultivator.

The links below are meant to be set up on any 2" square toolbar. They sell modular toolbars as well if you don't have one. The spacing is easily adjusted.
8 Inch Row Crop Sweep for Shanks with Footpieces (check the different sweep widths)

Some sweeps can run on an S-tine shank, but the purpose of the S-tine is to vibrate as it goes through the soil helping to break up the soil. The C-tine shanks are similar, but they just have a different mounting style based on the toolbar manufacturer. That's great for a field cultivator that is preparing a seed bed, and less so for a weed control cultivation pass where you may not want the sweep or knife in the soil to move up or down.

Depending on the size of the area you have you might just want to go with an old Plantet Jr wheel hoe or a new one from someone like Hoss Garden tools. It's a lot easier to get right up close to the plants with a knife style sweep that doesn't disturb much of he soil. I have a 2" toolbar and I use it for potatoes and some other odds and ends but I find I use the wheel hoe much more in my garden.

/ Cultivator type for my application. I don't know the name of it.
I would think a rolling cultivator would be what you are talking about, that's what I use between rows of peas, corn, etc.They are fully adjustable depending on the width of the rows.
I think I've saw these while looking around at "cultivators".. these are the ones that have the "finger-like wheels" on them right? I've never saw one operate, and don't know anything about them outside of this conversation, so I don't have any idea of what kind of job they do, but I will see if there are any videos showing them in action so maybe I can get a better understanding of what to expect out of the machine. Thanks!

Sounds like you just want to some weed control cultivation in your row middles. I'd start with something like a sweep or a knife mounted on a shank. A sweep has the advantage of being commonly available and if set right can run pretty close to your pea plants and even potentially get some area underneath the canopy. Set the sweep to run right below the soil surface and it will cut the weeds right at the base. A knife wont disturb as much soil, but they're harder to find and mount for a tractor cultivator.

The links below are meant to be set up on any 2" square toolbar. They sell modular toolbars as well if you don't have one. The spacing is easily adjusted.
8 Inch Row Crop Sweep for Shanks with Footpieces (check the different sweep widths)

Some sweeps can run on an S-tine shank, but the purpose of the S-tine is to vibrate as it goes through the soil helping to break up the soil. The C-tine shanks are similar, but they just have a different mounting style based on the toolbar manufacturer. That's great for a field cultivator that is preparing a seed bed, and less so for a weed control cultivation pass where you may not want the sweep or knife in the soil to move up or down.

Depending on the size of the area you have you might just want to go with an old Plantet Jr wheel hoe or a new one from someone like Hoss Garden tools. It's a lot easier to get right up close to the plants with a knife style sweep that doesn't disturb much of he soil. I have a 2" toolbar and I use it for potatoes and some other odds and ends but I find I use the wheel hoe much more in my garden.
Yes. Looking to keep the walkways between the peas clean(er), at least until a canopy starts to develop-and longer if its possible. That's a lot of good info to look into, Thanks a lot!

Also, RE area size.. at this point I WISH it was just a garden. I looked at the Planet Jr wheel hoe and HOSS version. That actually looks really cool, and it would probably be perfect.. IF it was just a garden. I went from half an acre last year, to 2 acres this year, and next year expected to be around 5 acres. The problem is only getting bigger from here on out, looking for a solution to deal with it. Tons of rattlesnakes and copperheads in this area, it doesn't make you feel very smart when you're stepping around the pea patch into tiny openings in the canopy.. hoping for the best because you didn't keep the pathway clear.

/ Cultivator type for my application. I don't know the name of it. #8  

Keulavator 3-Point Cultivator Frame, Cat. 1​

The Keulavator™ frame, sold only at Agri Supply®, is a 3-point tractor attachment that can be customized to shape, ridge, bed and help cultivate your garden. This frame is constructed of sturdy tubular steel with solid welds for durability. The Keulavator frame has category 1 lift arms and two tool bars that are 15-3/8 inches long. The tool bars will accommodate IHC-style wedge clamps and bolts. Based on your bedding needs, clamp assemblies can easily be adjusted for a minimum row width of 31 inches to a maximum row width 52 inches.

A little update.. found this -ON the property. lol. It has 3 existing shanks, with sweeps on them, and on the front I-beam, there are 3 more of the attachment "things" that the shanks would go in. It has a 3 point hitch on it, looks like cat 2. I can't move it, its heavy. I think I could definitely use this, and most of it is already done for me. My questions would be, how do I identify the shanks on the rear that are already there?? How would I measure them properly to make sure I was getting the same dimension shanks as those? What type of attachment system is this that the shanks slide into, what is it called? How can I tell what degree angle the sweeps are supposed to be? Pictures attached.

Attachments

• cultivator 2.jpeg
    cultivator 2.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
  • cultivator shank attachment.jpeg
    cultivator shank attachment.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • Cultivator shank beam.jpeg
    Cultivator shank beam.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • cultivator sweep.jpeg
    cultivator sweep.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • cultivator.jpeg
    cultivator.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
   / Cultivator type for my application. I don't know the name of it. #10  
A little update.. found this -ON the property. lol. It has 3 existing shanks, with sweeps on them, and on the front I-beam, there are 3 more of the attachment "things" that the shanks would go in. It has a 3 point hitch on it, looks like cat 2. I can't move it, its heavy. I think I could definitely use this, and most of it is already done for me. My questions would be, how do I identify the shanks on the rear that are already there?? How would I measure them properly to make sure I was getting the same dimension shanks as those? What type of attachment system is this that the shanks slide into, what is it called? How can I tell what degree angle the sweeps are supposed to be? Pictures attached.
FWIW, do you have a PTO tiller? I use the plant a row, skip a row method and use my 60 inch tiller to keep the walkways clean. I use a Howse ridger(hipper/hillier) to build a raised bed and then knock the top flat with a 5 ft. Spike tooth narrow.