Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,731  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,733  
Here we go, james may chimes in.

I think EVs being 50 to 75% of the market by 2040 as he mentioned is realistic. He makes strong points why the EVS will replace ICE in time.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,734  
MY Magneto Model T will live again...

Don't need any battery to run... hand crank and lie grade fuel.

Best is probably a very old diesel Mercedes...
I keep meaning to get rid of Wilma (the old diesel Mercedes).

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,735  
I think EVs being 50 to 75% of the market by 2040 as he mentioned is realistic. He makes strong points why the EVS will replace ICE in time.
The problem is, the ev people think ev's can replace every vehicle on the road, and that just isn't practical with current technologies. And may points that out. I dont' think most people are opposed to ev's in general, just ev's at their current technology and infrastructure level.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,736  

What may happen in Britain is unlikely to happen in the USA. It is like expecting us to follow what happened in Norway.

The degree of government interference is the unknown element.

The other factors to consider are the cultural differences, and our ability to supply fuel cheaper than the countries moving more quickly to EVs.

One thing James May said is interesting. If EVs could be charged to full capacity in a few minutes (like we can with gas/diesel), and there were chargers everywhere (like we have with gas/diesel), a 150 range would be acceptable to most users. And a smaller battery would reduce weight, initial cost and replacement cost.

I have stated that before. Give me a cheap 150 mile range EV and I get much more interested. If I could charge it in less than 5 minutes almost anywhere it changes the game significantly. It becomes the almost perfect second car.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,737  
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025-toyota-camry-hybrid-epa-fuel-economy-mpg/

Toyota drops the ICE only Camry for 2025 as they slow down on EV only transition as they keep talking about their 1000 mile EV solid state battery development.
Toyota does not drop the ICE just modifies it to a hybrid - From your Link; "That means front-wheel-drive Camrys get 225 hp from their 2.5-liter gas-electric combo."

I had a Prius hybrid and was impressed with it for the first 100,000 miles. My next vehicle will most likely be a Toyota hybrid. If the cost comes down on the prime to justify the price difference between a hybrid and a prime I could buy a prime. I'm not ready for a lifestyle change to an all electric. I still like the filling station model. Within 5 miles of me there are two new gasoline/diesel stations being built, they have no charging stations. There are no propose dates in Texas where ICE vehicles cannot be sold.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,738  
Toyota does not drop the ICE just modifies it to a hybrid - From your Link; "That means front-wheel-drive Camrys get 225 hp from their 2.5-liter gas-electric combo."

I had a Prius hybrid and was impressed with it for the first 100,000 miles. My next vehicle will most likely be a Toyota hybrid. If the cost comes down on the prime to justify the price difference between a hybrid and a prime I could buy a prime. I'm not ready for a lifestyle change to an all electric. I still like the filling station model. Within 5 miles of me there are two new gasoline/diesel stations being built, they have no charging stations. There are no propose dates in Texas where ICE vehicles cannot be sold.
Wouldn't you like your "filling station" at your house?

One of the many reasons and EV is much more convenient than an ICE.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,739  
The problem is, the ev people think ev's can replace every vehicle on the road, and that just isn't practical with current technologies. And may points that out. I dont' think most people are opposed to ev's in general, just ev's at their current technology and infrastructure level.
Where do you get that "EV people" believe every vehicle should be an EV?
The infrastructure for EV's is already there. At your house.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,740  
Wouldn't you like your "filling station" at your house?

One of the many reasons and EV is much more convenient than an ICE.
That is why I would consider a hybrid again or even a Prime (plug-in ICE). I'm just not ready for all the times on trips where I have to find safe recharging locations and waiting. It is just too confining. Most people think like me also.