CS2220 vs CX2510

/ CS2220 vs CX2510 #1  

macnitti

Tractor
Ford 8N
We have decided we want to buy a Kioti but the husband and I are debating which model. He likes the CS2220 and I think we should go a step above for 6k more and get the CX2510, future proof a bit. We do own a Ford 8N that is my husband's passion project and never working right but he's convinced one he has it working we won't need the CX.

We have just under 5 acres. We would like to use it for mowing, snow removal, moving small round bails and work around the property with the loader. What is everyone's thoughts? Is he right or can you help me win this?

/ CS2220 vs CX2510 #2  
You'll never regret the CX over the CS; that said, just how heavy are these bales? You may find the CS to not even be an option if they outweigh the small machines abilities.

Have you looked at the CK2620 (or a leftover CK2610)?

Are you two insistent that all this be done with one machine? A CK and a small mower could be a perfect fit.

/ CS2220 vs CX2510
You'll never regret the CX over the CS; that said, just how heavy are these bales? You may find the CS to not even be an option if they outweigh the small machines abilities.

Have you looked at the CK2620 (or a leftover CK2610)?

Are you two insistent that all this be done with one machine? A CK and a small mower could be a perfect fit.
The bales are under 500lbs so both machines would technically be able to handle it.

I have a JD ride on mower and hate it. We specifically want it for this purpose as well.

CK is out of my price range I believe. It for us would be the CS or CX.

/ CS2220 vs CX2510 #4  
Last edited:
   / CS2220 vs CX2510 #5  
The bales are under 500lbs so both machines would technically be able to handle it.

I have a JD ride on mower and hate it. We specifically want it for this purpose as well.

CK is out of my price range I believe. It for us would be the CS or CX.

The CX is your sweet spot, and from the sound of it you know that; now, to get him on board.

If you're insistent on one machine the CK wouldn't be for you. You can mow your lawn with it, of course, but you don't want to; it's not a lightweight.

How is your property? Is it hilly? Rutted? Smooth? Any obstacles? Outbuildings? Subcompacts like the CS series are great and have their place; my first 'real' tractor was a Deere subcompact and it was a stout little machine. Soon, however, I outgrew it; once I started finding uses for the tractor I quickly realized I would be better off with something larger. The 25 horsepower was fine for my uses, it was the physical size. It's a really common story.

In my mind at least, a CX might help you avoid that by going one size up from your perceived needs; they're going to expand once you have the machine! You two will discover all kinds of uses for a loader once you've got one!

The biggest shortcomings to the subcompacts are the things that actually make them so appealing. The small size does limit some of their uses; the small tires make for a good mower, but you're now limited in ground clearance for other tasks. That restriction on height also causes the 3 point hitch to become what's called a 'limited' Category 1; some Category 1 implements will be too tall to use. Things like post-hole diggers, for example. Going into the CX will give you a good bit more room back there. The CX will also give you greater hydraulic capability, and 18.8 PTO horsepower to the CS2220's 16.3.

Both machines are roughly 4 feet wide, so they'll use the same size 3 point implements (landscape rake, box blade, rototiller, etc), the CX will just use them better. The CX weighs more by default, but I'd still get the rear tires loaded with Rim Guard, and both machines should always be properly ballasted when doing loader work.

Your husband seems to be leaning towards the lesser tractor out of some notion that the old Ford will pick up the slack. If the Ford was ready for the job you wouldn't be looking for a new tractor, or certainly not with the same sense of urgency. When it's together he can have all the fun in the world using it for the enjoyable tasks, but let the new machine do the stressful work in comfort. Anything that Ford can do for you the CX will do more efficiently, and will do it with less pain on the body.

Tell him to let the Ford be fun, let it be a project, but you never depend on a project.

Take your time, operate both machines to get a good feel for them, and buy what is right for you. That said, maybe talk to them about the CK26xx. You may find it to be love at first sight; many of us did.

Have fun! I hope I didn't miss anything in this rant, lol.

/ CS2220 vs CX2510 #6  
I looked at the CS for about a millisecond before deciding on the CX that was next to it on the lot. Unless I was going to use it to mow my lawn I couldn't see a reason to go with the CS over the CX. Ive had my CX now almost a year and I have put about 70 hours on it and it has not stopped impressing me. For my uses its great, weighs a lot more than the CS which is good, but not so much that I cant drive it on my lawn when I need to. Something that I wasn't considering at first was loader lift height, I have a dump trailer that I would not have been able to load with the CS, the CX lifts more weight and higher than the CS. Also, Ive noticed a lot of the sub compact tractors suffering from lift height on the 3 point as well, some implements cant be lifted high enough for clearance, my neighbors JD 10 series was terrible with that. Anyways, just some things to consider.

/ CS2220 vs CX2510 #7  
   / CS2220 vs CX2510 #8  
That restriction on height also causes the 3 point hitch to become what's called a 'limited' Category 1
The CS is still a Full Cat 1, at least for hooking up.

/ CS2220 vs CX2510 #10  
5 acres? CX. Moving 500lb bales? CX.

Rule #1 buy as much tractor as you can afford and will maneuver easily in the spaces you need to get in.

You mentioned wanting the front end loader to be useful. There's only one rule for that, go as big as you can there's no such thing as too much lift capacity on a small tractor. It makes life so much better you can't figure out how you didn't kill yourself before you had the FEL with forks.

I have a CK and would recommend it to anyone but not for mowing nice lawns.