Year-round oil viscosity

/ Year-round oil viscosity
Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

First, congratulations on your tractor! I love mine! It's a 2018, well, thats when I bought it new.

Despite being 8 years old, mine only has 165 hours on it. The oil on the dip stick is pretty dark, so it's apparently been a while since it was changed.

you wont harm anything by changing the engine oil twice or three times per year. The only thing that will get hurt is your bank account. Conversely, you can do annual oil changes. I wouldn't go over a year though.

My time is more valuable than my money these days. I probably put less than 100 hours a year on my 8N, so the recommended 300-hour oil change interval for this LS would be way too many years between changes. I'll stick with annual. Those are usually in the fall so the oil is as fresh as possible during the cold winter starts.

Does the tractor get used when its -20? Is it stored outside without a block heater, or in a nice warm shop? The summers months, are you out working your tractor HARD when its 104? Take the average, run that oil.

This past winter, I was plowing snow off several driveways (hundreds of yards long) on my 1951 Ford 8N in -20F temps. That's when my wife insisted that I get a tractor with a cab. Other than plowing snow, I rarely use the tractor in the winter. Some winters never get a plowable amount of snow; other winters get one every week for two months straight.

I don't bat an eye at 104F temps as long as I'm sitting on my butt, and especially now that I'll be in an air conditioned cab. However, our 10-acre property doesn't have so much tractor work that I can't generally avoid the hottest time of day.

The tractor lives in a lean-to, so it's exposed to outside temps all year long. I don't have any heaters for them. I keep a trickle charger on my 6-volt Ford 8N, and it starts up just fine in -20F temps--although the hydraulic/trans fluid is molasses & takes many minutes to warm up enough to make the 3-point usable. Do diesels struggle with cold temps more than gas engines?

We also love photos! :)

Bringing it home last month:

PXL_20240316_195200138.jpg

/ Year-round oil viscosity
My 4140 LS manual says 10W-30 is good for -10 to 104. That covers my needs. Do you actually use your machine at temperatures out of that range?

It looks like you misread the manual. It says 10W-30 is good for -10 C (14 F) at the low end and 40 C (104 F) at the high end.

Yes, I regularly plow snow in subzero temps, which is why I bought a tractor with a cab. 🥶

It's sounding like T6 5W-40 is the popular choice, so I'll probably go with that for now. Now that I have a working hour meter (my 8N doesn't), I'll be able to get a better feel for how much I'm actually using this tractor. I'm betting it's less than 100 hours per year.

/ Year-round oil viscosity #13  
There are also 0w40 synthetic diesel oils on the market. I change oil strictly by the hours in my tractor. Everyone has a different level of comfortability with hours vs annual oil changes, but changing strictly for the season is, for the most part, a thing of the past.

/ Year-round oil viscosity #14  
Despite being 8 years old, mine only has 165 hours on it. The oil on the dip stick is pretty dark, so it's apparently been a while since it was changed.
How dark the oil is in a diesel is not an indication of how old or used up it is.

Very few diesels have clean looking oil after some usage, and some make the oil dark withing a minute of starting the engine after an oil change.

/ Year-round oil viscosity #16  
I have been running chevron delo synblend 10w-30 in the LS 3140H year round, Change at manual recommended hours.
Always let it warm up a bit before going to work and always let it idle for a bit before shut-down to let the turbo slow and cool down...big killers of a turbo is lack of lube while still spinning thousands of rpm's if the engine is shut down promptly and/or oil baking in a hot turbo bearings. Newer oils are better at protecting from those things, but why risk your machine by not giving a couple minutes of warm up and cool down.

/ Year-round oil viscosity #17  
2018 Boomer 40 here made by LS. I'm one of the turbo failures at less than 100 hours. Manual stated 10W30 CK4 year round. Service bulletin performed during turbo replacement included pcm update to restrict rpms on cold start until oil warms up and specified 0W40 CK4 full synthetic oil. I'm running 5W40 T6 last five years with no problems since. 0W40 hard to source in Northern WI. Hope that helps you.

/ Year-round oil viscosity #19  
2018 Boomer 40 here made by LS. I'm one of the turbo failures at less than 100 hours. Manual stated 10W30 CK4 year round. Service bulletin performed during turbo replacement included pcm update to restrict rpms on cold start until oil warms up and specified 0W40 CK4 full synthetic oil. I'm running 5W40 T6 last five years with no problems since. 0W40 hard to source in Northern WI. Hope that helps you.
With turbo on LS 0W-40 or 5W-40 oil will serve best to assure turbo does not grenade itself. Especially on low temp environments. Yes you are correct you must order 0W-40 where as shell T5 or T6 will work well. Diesel engines survives well with clean oil and clean diesel along with good coolant. At minimum perform annual maintenance. Tractor will last long time.

/ Year-round oil viscosity #20  
I live in Nebraska, where we see temps between -20F and 104F every year. I use my tractor year-round, but I don't use it enough to warrant changing the oil more than once per year.
Others have asked it, but I haven't seen an answer: Are you actually working the tractor when it's 104F outside? We see similar highs, on occasion, but those are the days when I get any work done early in the morning before it heats up. I'm chilling in the pool with a G&T in my hand, long before it hits 100F outside, not working the tractor.

Whenever a compromise must be made, favor the lower temperature range. Usually, the only penalty made for running beyond the upper outside temperature range of a given lubricant is increased consumption. Of course, modern 0W-40's really open up the available range.