Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,442  
?
20240413_141819.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,444  
I would say that we certainly have different views on ZONING.
Keeping "better focus" that sounds more like even more government intrusion of private property rights.
We have way too much of that in this country already in most areas.
My experience with this comes primarily from 1990's Germany, and I know it's forever changing. But back then, it was very hard to get rural space re-zoned for building. Basically, if you wanted to build a home, you had to buy a lot within defined city, town, or village borders. Builders were not free to just buy out heritage farms and convert them to developments, the way we've been doing here for 100 years. Converting rural or open space to development was more difficult, there.

The result is that, driving on rural highways, you could see the clear delineations between towns and rural farm land, with little in-between.

I would agree that "suburbia" has crept way to far out into the country and it continues to as it also continues to ruin the county that so many want to move to.
Then as soon as they move they have to screw it up to be more like what they left :(
Sounds here like you're arguing with yourself. This is precisely what I was implying in the prior post.

My father was an engineer who worked with a lot of developers and builders, and used to joke that, "Everyone wants to be the last new person to move to an area."

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,445  
My experience with this comes primarily from 1990's Germany, and I know it's forever changing. But back then, it was very hard to get rural space re-zoned for building. Basically, if you wanted to build a home, you had to buy a lot within defined city, town, or village borders. Builders were not free to just buy out heritage farms and convert them to developments, the way we've been doing here for 100 years. Converting rural or open space to development was more difficult, there.

The result is that, driving on rural highways, you could see the clear delineations between towns and rural farm land, with little in-between.

Sounds here like you're arguing with yourself. This is precisely what I was implying in the prior post.

My father was an engineer who worked with a lot of developers and builders, and used to joke that, "Everyone wants to be the last new person to move to an area."
No I'm not arguing with myself at all.
I don't like suburbia sprawling out into good county and the idiots that follow it out. But I also don't blame the ones that sell out to the developers.
I do blame the lying politicians that tax farm ground so high that it can't pay the taxes farming.
Then the damned city idiots that move to the country and bring their city ways to the country.
I also do not believe the government has the "right" to tell people what they can and can't do to their property.
As far as I am concerned when they do so they are taking your property.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,446  
When I had to travel to NYC, I didn't want to drive, I couldn't see putting up with all the garbage to fly and then even longer cab rides then from the train station.

I don't dislike flying, I do dislike with an extreme prejudice the ridiculous power tripping assine airport "security" and the other tsa "bullies" (for want of a better name).
I have contemplate and talked to my wife about taking a long train tour of the country.

Yes... the airport experience and associated costs.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,447  

Three Dates at the Same Time​

Every day between 10:00 and 10:59 UTC, three different calendar dates are in use simultaneously on Earth.

For example, May 2 at 10:30 UTC, is 23:30 (11:30 pm) on May 1 in American Samoa (UTC−11), 06:30 (6:30 am) on May 2 in New York (UTC-4), and 00:30 (12:30 am) on May 3 in Kiritimati (UTC+14).

Speaking of time the Solar eclipse shifted time signals in the US

THE SOLAR ECLIPSE SHIFTED TIME SIGNALS IN THE USA:

The US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has a radio station in Fort Collins, Colorado. Call letters: WWV. Operating at multiple shortwave frequencies, WWV broadcasts precise time and frequency information 24/7 to listeners worldwide. On April 8, 2024, the frequency of WWV shifted:

This plot also contains data from WWV's sister station in Hawaii, WWVH

"It was the solar eclipse," says ham radio operator Kristina Collins (W8EDU) of Cleveland, Ohio, who assembled records from 13 monitoring stations in and around the path of totality. "The HamSCI Personal Space Weather Station Network's Grape stations measure Doppler shift in the carrier signal of time standard radio stations such as WWV. On April 8th, the network saw a distinct S-curve signature associated with the eclipse."

The Doppler shift occured when the shadow of the Moon pierced the ionosphere, creating a temporary hole where ionization was reduced. This, in turn, altered the "skip distance" from transmitters to receivers, as shown in the diagram below:

Because the skip point was moving, reflected radio signals were naturally Doppler-shifted. Spaceweather.com reader and senior physicist Larry Carr of Brookhaven National Labs made this calculation: "Using the 10 MHz WWV frequency, an average shift of about 1/2 Hz implies the layer bottom (the 'skip point') was moving at speeds up to 15 m/s. During the entire eclipse, the reflecting layer moved on the order of 50 km."

The total Doppler shift was only a few cycles per second, similar to normal night-day variations, so no one actually lost track of time during the eclipse. Nevertheless, it is a fascinating demonstration of an eclipse's power to touch the Earth.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,448  
I also do not believe the government has the "right" to tell people what they can and can't do to their property.
As far as I am concerned when they do so they are taking your property.
Any additional restrictions after you buy it the govt should have to compensate you for.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,450  
[/QUOTE]
Any additional restrictions after you buy it the govt should have to compensate you for.
... and therein lies a big difference. If restrictions were upon the property prior to purchase, it's hard to argue anything is being taken away. Europe has a very different legacy than here, transitioning generally from fiefdoms and monarchies, before interruption by the land redistribution associated with two world wars.

Here, the path is usually selling development rights for tax breaks, but to a similar end... maintaining open space.