Massey Ferguson 2860M Cab

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M Cab #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
So, after years of research and test driving tractors, I finally pulled the trigger on a new tractor. This was a tough decision for me and and I went through a lot of stress and shopping to get to this purchase. There is not a lot of information out there for the Massey 2860M and I want to share my experience/review with this purchase and why I ended up with this machine. This might be long winded or long typed but I hope this helps others that might be looking at similar sized tractors.

I have been looking at tractors for well over 5 years but never felt good about pulling the trigger. Money and payments kept me from taking the leap and I was struggling with justifying it. I know I lost out on cheaper prices but it is what it is. I don't think they are ever going to go down to what they were 5 years ago and I did not want to wait to see and have to spend even more. I really struggled with this purchase and looked at all colors, sizes, brands, HST, power shuttle, cab, new, used and ergonomics.

I am currently living on 16 1/2 acres. Somewhat hilly with probably 4 good flat acres. Property was all pines that had been planted in 2014 I think. I probably have cleared around 4 acres now and want to clear about 4 more. I have a full sized excavator for the hard work and was using my New Holland TC40 for grading, plating grass and moving around brush with the grapple. If you had talked to me 3 years ago, I would have for sure purcahsed a utility sized tractor. Once I got serious this year, I was on the hunt for a utility size. Almost bought a used 5065e and a new Kubota M7060, both open station. Very close on the M7060. Also looked hard at a new LS mt468. As I broadened my search I looked at a nice used Kubota MX5400 Cab, gear drive. Came close with that as well. I also liked the Yanmar YT359. I shopped all Kubota, Kioti, Massey, Deere, LS, Yanmar dealers within a 2 hour radius. I test drove countless tractors, sometimes 2 and 3 times. All the tractors were very nice and I would have probably been good with any of the ones I looked at.

I looked at Massey last as I always did in my research, and I have to say that in the compact class (40 to 60 hp premium tractors), with the options you get, fit and finish, and price, Massey was hard to beat. My tractor was built for Massey by Iseki from front to back. Everything is put together really well and the hydraulics and loader are awesome and powerful. Engine purrs like a kitten, a 4 cylinder, and not very loud. I went with the Cab (thanks to a thread I had on here for advice on that) and HST (also another thread I started on here). I was very worried about both. Always had gear and open station. I have driven it for the past 2 days and went up the steepest part of my property, driving up and down and had no issues with power. The HST is smooth as butter. Put down some buckets of mulch and it is just as easy as you want it (still reaching for the shuttle and using the gas pedal, LOL). Has cruise control and I can set the HST speed from fast to slow and response from fast to slow as well. The Cab is AWESOME. Did I say that the Cab is AWSOME!!! I got the deluxe Cab with air ride seat. No more back busting tractor seat. Ice cold AC, radio, front and rear wipers, sunshade, cup holder, cell phone holder and doors that open on both sides. Also has rear side windows that open as well. Everything is easy to touch and move. Nothing feels like a chore. Throttle is right by my right arm. Tilt steering that is controlled by using your foot to engage to move, really easy and nice. The top of the Cab is light gray which helps with reflecting sun off of it. Underneath the tractor, nothing is hanging and there are skid plates covering any important items down there. Whoever designed this tractor really thought it out. Also came standard with 1 rear remote, extendable 3pt links, and CAT 1&2 ball ends. I added the 3rd function valve and had the tires fluid filled. Picked up a full bucket of gravel with nothing hanging off the back and no tractor bouncing. This tractor is heavy in all the right places (Cab without loaded tires and loader is 4600 lbs.). Rear lift at 24 inches is 3000 lbs. As time goes and I continue to use it, I will update what I like and dislike. Nothing is perfect.

I think Massey is such a deal because they do not spend the money advertising like the other companies do and a lot of thier product is word of mouth. I think this helps them get their prices down and provide you with so much value for the money spent. I really liked and wanted the Deere 4r series and Kubota Grand L series but they were both going to be about 8 to 10 grand more to get the same options I have on the Massey. The Yanmar YT359 was a very nice tractor but I just was not 100 percent comfortable with it. The LS was also nice but I was worried about parts in the long run. Probably not an issue but it gave me pause. My uncle has an older 2011 Massey and has no issues getting parts and the tractor runs like a top. I also have several Massey dealers within an hour of my location that have been around a very long time.

Lastly, the reason I went with the compact vs utility was the bells and whistles I could get with the compact money wise and it is just going to be easier towing and hauling it. Plus, once I am done clearing with the excavator I will just be maintaining the property and keeping a small garden. I also have all the 6ft implements already that fit the compact just fine. Had I not got a hold of the excavator, I probably would have jumped to the utility size. I did buy the most HP I could get in the compact class. I really hope this helps someone looking for a tractor. It is a very big decision and there is a lot of competition out there. I am not brand loyal and looked hard at all tractor manufacturers in and around my area. They all have pluses and minuses and well put together. Dont be scared to get out of the comfort zone and look at tractors that might not be on your radar. Test drive all of them a LOT. If you have any questions just let me know.

KIMG1131.jpeg
KIMG1128.jpeg
KIMG1129.jpeg

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M Cab #2  
So, after years of research and test driving tractors, I finally pulled the trigger on a new tractor. This was a tough decision for me and and I went through a lot of stress and shopping to get to this purchase. There is not a lot of information out there for the Massey 2860M and I want to share my experience/review with this purchase and why I ended up with this machine. This might be long winded or long typed but I hope this helps others that might be looking at similar sized tractors.

I have been looking at tractors for well over 5 years but never felt good about pulling the trigger. Money and payments kept me from taking the leap and I was struggling with justifying it. I know I lost out on cheaper prices but it is what it is. I don't think they are ever going to go down to what they were 5 years ago and I did not want to wait to see and have to spend even more. I really struggled with this purchase and looked at all colors, sizes, brands, HST, power shuttle, cab, new, used and ergonomics.

I am currently living on 16 1/2 acres. Somewhat hilly with probably 4 good flat acres. Property was all pines that had been planted in 2014 I think. I probably have cleared around 4 acres now and want to clear about 4 more. I have a full sized excavator for the hard work and was using my New Holland TC40 for grading, plating grass and moving around brush with the grapple. If you had talked to me 3 years ago, I would have for sure purcahsed a utility sized tractor. Once I got serious this year, I was on the hunt for a utility size. Almost bought a used 5065e and a new Kubota M7060, both open station. Very close on the M7060. Also looked hard at a new LS mt468. As I broadened my search I looked at a nice used Kubota MX5400 Cab, gear drive. Came close with that as well. I also liked the Yanmar YT359. I shopped all Kubota, Kioti, Massey, Deere, LS, Yanmar dealers within a 2 hour radius. I test drove countless tractors, sometimes 2 and 3 times. All the tractors were very nice and I would have probably been good with any of the ones I looked at.

I looked at Massey last as I always did in my research, and I have to say that in the compact class (40 to 60 hp premium tractors), with the options you get, fit and finish, and price, Massey was hard to beat. My tractor was built for Massey by Iseki from front to back. Everything is put together really well and the hydraulics and loader are awesome and powerful. Engine purrs like a kitten, a 4 cylinder, and not very loud. I went with the Cab (thanks to a thread I had on here for advice on that) and HST (also another thread I started on here). I was very worried about both. Always had gear and open station. I have driven it for the past 2 days and went up the steepest part of my property, driving up and down and had no issues with power. The HST is smooth as butter. Put down some buckets of mulch and it is just as easy as you want it (still reaching for the shuttle and using the gas pedal, LOL). Has cruise control and I can set the HST speed from fast to slow and response from fast to slow as well. The Cab is AWESOME. Did I say that the Cab is AWSOME!!! I got the deluxe Cab with air ride seat. No more back busting tractor seat. Ice cold AC, radio, front and rear wipers, sunshade, cup holder, cell phone holder and doors that open on both sides. Also has rear side windows that open as well. Everything is easy to touch and move. Nothing feels like a chore. Throttle is right by my right arm. Tilt steering that is controlled by using your foot to engage to move, really easy and nice. The top of the Cab is light gray which helps with reflecting sun off of it. Underneath the tractor, nothing is hanging and there are skid plates covering any important items down there. Whoever designed this tractor really thought it out. Also came standard with 1 rear remote, extendable 3pt links, and CAT 1&2 ball ends. I added the 3rd function valve and had the tires fluid filled. Picked up a full bucket of gravel with nothing hanging off the back and no tractor bouncing. This tractor is heavy in all the right places (Cab without loaded tires and loader is 4600 lbs.). Rear lift at 24 inches is 3000 lbs. As time goes and I continue to use it, I will update what I like and dislike. Nothing is perfect.

I think Massey is such a deal because they do not spend the money advertising like the other companies do and a lot of thier product is word of mouth. I think this helps them get their prices down and provide you with so much value for the money spent. I really liked and wanted the Deere 4r series and Kubota Grand L series but they were both going to be about 8 to 10 grand more to get the same options I have on the Massey. The Yanmar YT359 was a very nice tractor but I just was not 100 percent comfortable with it. The LS was also nice but I was worried about parts in the long run. Probably not an issue but it gave me pause. My uncle has an older 2011 Massey and has no issues getting parts and the tractor runs like a top. I also have several Massey dealers within an hour of my location that have been around a very long time.

Lastly, the reason I went with the compact vs utility was the bells and whistles I could get with the compact money wise and it is just going to be easier towing and hauling it. Plus, once I am done clearing with the excavator I will just be maintaining the property and keeping a small garden. I also have all the 6ft implements already that fit the compact just fine. Had I not got a hold of the excavator, I probably would have jumped to the utility size. I did buy the most HP I could get in the compact class. I really hope this helps someone looking for a tractor. It is a very big decision and there is a lot of competition out there. I am not brand loyal and looked hard at all tractor manufacturers in and around my area. They all have pluses and minuses and well put together. Dont be scared to get out of the comfort zone and look at tractors that might not be on your radar. Test drive all of them a LOT. If you have any questions just let me know.

View attachment 862448View attachment 862449View attachment 862450

Nice looking tractor. Enjoy it.

Thanks for the detailed write up and pictures. Keep us updated as you build hours on the tractor. I am starting to look for my wife's next tractor and think she deserves a cab. Been looking at Kioti and TYM and will now add Massey to the list. I like the Kubota and Deere products but believe they come at a cost premium I am not willing to fund.

Did you include the TYM T574 HST Cab in your comparison to your Massey 2860M, if so what did you think between two?

Thanks again for the detailed writeup and enjoy the new tactor.

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M Cab
Nice looking tractor. Enjoy it.

Thanks for the detailed write up and pictures. Keep us updated as you build hours on the tractor. I am starting to look for my wife's next tractor and think she deserves a cab. Been looking at Kioti and TYM and will now add Massey to the list. I like the Kubota and Deere products but believe they come at a cost premium I am not willing to fund.

Did you include the TYM T574 HST Cab in your comparison to your Massey 2860M, if so what did you think between two?

Thanks again for the detailed writeup and enjoy the new tactor.

I did not include the TYM T574 in my search so I cannot give you a good comparison.

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M Cab #4  
I'm eager to hear from you.
I can pretty much copy your (long) write up.
I'm downsizing. Sold the cows and don't need a big tractor anymore.
Deere's 4 series is out of question. Even when we had good experience with our two Deeres that we have/had, but they priced themselves out.
Then I looked at the Kubota MX6000.
Downside on that, hydrostat only. Along some things that come with the economy model.
And then my wife sat in it. Not approved.

The Massey dealer had a 2850 hydrostat with premium cab sitting in their yard.
It was downpouring when we got there. To make it short. It got approved by the financial minister. She felt well in it. The only downfall is, there is no 12x12 version anywhere close that we could look at.

Now I need to sell my 6430 for a good price.

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M Cab
So, I am fully set-up with the 2860M and did some real work with it today. I was tending a fire on the top of one the hills on my property. I was picking up debris from one pile and carrying it uphill to the current burn pile. The loader on this thing is strong and responsive!!! Much more capable than the bushog loader on my TC40. The 2860M had no problems carrying the brush in my grapple up the hill or down and the hill is pretty steep (The picture does not look as steep as it is looking at it in person). I was worried about the HST but not anymore. The 60HP is NICE. Did a lot of back and forward loader work and the HST makes it way nicer than what I used to do with the shuttle shift. I still hit the HST pedal thinking it is the gas. LOL

I also did some rough grading with my new to me heavy duty box blade. The 2860 pulled right throught the ground with shanks dug in. This box blade is not light and the 2860 acts like it is not even back there. I also have the top and tilt on here and I dont know why I waited so long to get this type of set-up. No more getting in and out and adjusting all the time.

Getting in and out the cab might take 3 seconds longer than the open station. It is really a non-issue. Not sure why I was worried about it. It was nice working around dust and smoke but nothing but cold AC clowing inside the cab. So far, the only complaint would be going from mid-range to low. Sometimes it does not want to go on the first try but after moving it and hitting brakes it locks in. My uncles Massey does the same thing and it still runs fine. Overall, very happy with this purchase so far.

KIMG1142.jpeg
KIMG1146.jpeg
KIMG1143.jpeg

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M Cab #6  
Go lay in that hammock and admire your new tractor, congrats!