Adding a "T" to a buried black poly water line?

/ Adding a "T" to a buried black poly water line? #1  

Slackdaddy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20HST
Figured this was the best group to ask in.
I have a 3/4" 200psi black poly water line from the house to a yard bib.
It is buried at 28-30" deep.
I want to add a branch line about mid span for the garden.

I have the proper S.S. 3/4" barbed "T" and S.S. clamps. And I know all about heating the pipe ends with hot water, etc.

Question,, any easy way to get the "t" in both pipe ends after exposing the pipe and cutting about 3/4" out of it where the T is going??
It's not like I am going to have a ton of slack to flex the pipe up and manipulate it onto the barbs?

/ Adding a "T" to a buried black poly water line? #2  
I have a similar line running to a hose bib, not as deep though. I would imagine it would accept a "T" without much difficulty by digging out a foot or two of earth on either end, cutting out a precisely measured section, attach one end, then lifting both ends up, insert the other side of the union.
I'm sure that's on your radar.... I think it'll go smooth enough once you get into it.

/ Adding a "T" to a buried black poly water line? #3  
I would open a trench and working hole larger that you think you need. A longer trench will give you more upward flex. A hole where you will be working will make it easier. It could be a tough job, do all you can to give yourself a break.

Doug in SW IA

/ Adding a "T" to a buried black poly water line? #4  
Cut out about a foot of pipe and install the tee on one end. Install the piece of pipe you cut out on the other end of the tee. Trim the pipe to the correct length and use a slip coupling to connect the ends together.

/ Adding a "T" to a buried black poly water line? #5  
I tee'd a 1 1/4" line near my well for a yard hydrant. If I remember correctly, the bottom of the hole was about three feet long. Higher up, it was a lot bigger as it was six feet deep.

/ Adding a "T" to a buried black poly water line? #6  
I had a 2" PVC line feeding the house for about 15 years and then added a 1" black line to feed a yard hydrant. I don't remember exactly how the plumber made the connection but it seams like some type of connector was clamped and screwed into the main line and then the black flexible line was clamped to that.

I don't think the main line was sawed in half. Just some fancy piece of plumbing.

/ Adding a "T" to a buried black poly water line? #7  
Saw the main line, but don,t cut any other length off of it. Work the T into onto one side of the main line, and double clamp it, after heating one end. Lift the pipe a foot or so, and start the other side of the main line. Push down while wiggling the pipe and fitting, to work it into place. If you need some extra leverage to get the ends on the main line, use a one foot piece of scrap plastic pipe temporarily on the center part of the T. Double clamp each joint with SS clamps. A bit of a offset in the main line doesn,t do any harm. Give yourself some extra space to be able to get on your hands and knees while working in the hole.

/ Adding a "T" to a buried black poly water line? #8  
Dig more trench to expose more line. Or, I like that slip fitting above, but it means one more joint (actually two). The pipe won't fail, it the joints that fail.

/ Adding a "T" to a buried black poly water line? #9  
I don’t know your ground, our place eats SS hose clamps in out 5 yrs. I double clamp and mark my yard plan with the location of the splice/ repair So I can find them again. Cam

/ Adding a "T" to a buried black poly water line? #10  
I don't know if it's compatible but you can buy PVC slip joints. I have used them underground and never had a problem with them.