Headlight update

/ Headlight update #1  

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
2007 F250 headlights were getting foggy and the light was not very good either. The plastic chrome was peeling off the grill too.
I peeled the rest of the chrome off, sanded and painted the grill. I updated the headlights with modern looking LED driving lights integrated into the headlight case. I also installed ‘Raptor style’ lights in the grill.
Gives the front a modern look and the lights are very bright.
I didn’t take a before picture.
1712918345870.jpeg

With the park/driving lights only.
1712918462567.jpeg

With headlights on.
1712918550958.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Headlight update
I also put on a new peel and stick Ford emblem on the grill.

/ Headlight update #3  
Do those amber lights serve any purpose other than potentially blinding oncoming drivers and looking kind of dumb?

/ Headlight update
Do those amber lights serve any purpose other than potentially blinding oncoming drivers and looking kind of dumb?
The F150 Raptors came from the factory with that style of grill light. I can’t think of any purpose except aesthetic. They don’t seem to be any brighter than the amber marker lights in the side mirrors. I’m not sure why they have so much glare in the photo.
I suppose some people might like the rough and rugged look of faded headlights and peeling chrome grill, but for me, I thought it made my truck look old and poorly maintained. I’m happy with the new look.

/ Headlight update #5  
Gotta say I'm super pleased with replacing my '97 F350's headlights with LEDs. My old headlights were very hazy, one light finally died when the housing got half full of water, and previous to that there was so little light. The new housings I got have a super sharp cutoff line avoiding glare to oncoming traffic, and the LEDs are bright enough that driving doesn't make me tired.

Strongly recommend lighting upgrades to anyone with an older truck.

I have no opinion on the aesthetics of the amber lights; my truck has them on the cab. They're probably increasing glare to oncoming traffic by a massive 0.05% so you should go to jail but that's just my 2cents. I like the white grill!

/ Headlight update #6  
The grill marker lights aren't bright enough to blind anyone. They do make the vehicle more noticeable under some conditions.

LEDs in halogen headlight housings can have bad light patterns like a cutoff that's poor so the lights blind on coming drivers or poor coverage of the road. If they're in dedicated housings they should be better.

/ Headlight update
The grill marker lights aren't bright enough to blind anyone. They do make the vehicle more noticeable under some conditions.

LEDs in halogen headlight housings can have bad light patterns like a cutoff that's poor so the lights blind on coming drivers or poor coverage of the road. If they're in dedicated housings they should be better.
The new headlight housings came with LED bulbs. They were very dull. I ordered brighter LED bulbs.

I didn’t know that halogen/LED housings had dedicated design features for each type of bulb.

I am pleased with amount of light from the new LEDs. Nobody has flashed their hi-beams at me yet. I hope that means I adjusted them correctly. There was no side adjustment, only up and down with the new housings.

/ Headlight update
I imagine the grille lights are no different than marker lights in brightness, so even if they're only for aesthetics they're not a bother. Peace, I think the truck looks great, very clean; is it white and tan two-tone?
Thanks! Yes, white and gold King Ranch color scheme.
The amber lights are not very bright in person. The photo I took shows a strange glare around the lights for some reason. It makes them appear brighter.
They were quite cheap. Seems like I got a bag of 20 for $20.00? That included the rubber grommets around the lens. I figured they might not last long so I wired them with waterproof automotive plugs so they would be easy to replace. The wiring plugs cost more than the lights.
I also installed amber marker lights on my 20’ trailer. 4 on each side. After a long day, I would have a difficult time backing my trailer into its designated parking spot. It was very frustrating getting out of the truck several times to check my location. The new marker lights on the trailer allowed me to back up in the dark without ever getting out of the cab. Everything was visible from the mirrors. I was so pleased with the nighttime appearance that I removed all the lights, sanded the old trailer (1995), and repainted it glossy white. It looked brand new.
Sometimes amber markers serve a purpose other than aesthetic?

/ Headlight update #10  
Well, when they're being used as marker lamps, I suppose they have a purpose. 🤣