1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #91  
As has been stated before if I was going to look for another tractor I would check out the online classifieds and see what a potential purchase was selling for and the availability of that model, then I would check the wrecking yards for used parts availability. Bentrim

agree, but i wouldn't purchase one online sight unseen, you'd probably agree

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #92  
We have been using motor oil in our 544k industrial loader's hydraulic system since it was new and it has 10000 hours now. No problems so far.
i think it only breaks down at 100,000 hours...
just kidding
how often do you change the hydraulic filter?
now they apparently have a smaller micron rating and using a motor oil filter would not be the best.
i think a lot depends upon the environment. A clean warehouse or living outside could make a difference.

I've owned Kubota and Massey tractors and JD lawn equipment.
I found them all dependable
best thing you can do with any tractor and implements is get yourself a good Dewalt cordless grease gun so you will never
regret keeping up with your greasing.

I'm also a big believer in fuel supplements to keep the injectors clean.

at one point got up to four tractors at one time. It was SO nice not having to fight with pto connectors.
one tractor for mowing. One for field work. One you can take over the lawn with turf tires.
Sure more means more maintenance but most folks who have tractors are mechanically minded to some degree and
maintenance isn't hard at all.

If I were Italian, I'd probably want a Lamborghini tractor.
If I were German, it would be a Fendt.
being a hobby tractor user here in PA, would choose between Deere, Kubota and Massey.
I know there are half a dozen other very good brands out there, but these three seem to be the most
highly engineered and thought out.
I think Kioti and LS are right up there in quality; trick is having a dealer anywhere near you.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #93  
i think it only breaks down at 100,000 hours...
just kidding
how often do you change the hydraulic filter?
now they apparently have a smaller micron rating and using a motor oil filter would not be the best.
i think a lot depends upon the environment. A clean warehouse or living outside could make a difference.
Maybe I didn't phrase it right. The loader has 10000 hours. The oil is changed according to the manual,2000 hours I believe.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #94  
I bought one of the “big 2”

Bought new in 2007 with the plan for it to last a lifetime.

I’ve only had to change the battery (2x)

I don’t think I’ve even lost 5k on my original $ spent.

I’m sure there are equal/comparable machines but I’m set.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #95  
When I think of a tractor I want to keep forever, this is what comes to mind.
I would want something that I knew parts supply will be there for a long time.
I would want a tractor that they sold a lot of. this way, years down the road, there will be some sitting in graveyards waiting to pull parts from.
I would want to purchase one from a BIG company.
I would want the tractor and the company to be well known for producing quality equipment.

To me, the heavy hitters are Kubota and John Deere. I chose a Kubota.

I am lucky in that I have a brother-in-law that operates a very large service center and deals with tractors from all makes. I used his experience when making my choice. I heard the horror stories he's had attempting to get parts for the off-brand tractors like TYM, Kioti, Branson, etc. and having them sit for months on end waiting on parts. I wanted no part of any of those off-brand tractors.

Last edited:
   / 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #96  
When in the market for a tractor;looked at New Holland,John Deere and Kubota(what was available at the time) purchased Kubota.
Since that first;purchased a second (new) tractor plus 10K worth of implements from the same dealer.
They have been out-standing for warranty and service.I have zero regrets.
Family/friends have purchased used Kubotas with no problems.We have no reason to change.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #97  
My wifes aunt has been ranching with Kubota since 1976. She has two 30-40 hp machines. Never any trouble. One tractor recently traded in on a newer model paid back more than the original price after 14 yrs of service, you can't beat that!
Partially why I chose Kubota for our forever tractor after 25 yrs of industrial skiploaders on our ranch. Life is easier with Kubota. GL in your search.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #98  
If I were closer to Messicks here in PA, I might consider New Holland.

so many of these tractors are just rebranded something else.
I can't imagine John Deere being as successful as it has been if it didn't
partner with Yanmar to make so much of their equipment.
Yanmar considered to have really excellent engineering and they have made over 15 million
engines since 1933.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #99  
I don't understand that comment. JD commercial equipment (yellow paint) uses motor oil in their hydraulic system.
And 0W-20 is a common engine oil spec these days.
What's the point?
Hydraulic oil specs vary a lot between different brands. I have been around too many tractors where the wrong hydraulic oil was put in the hydraulic tank that destroyed transmissions mainly but, some axle bearings too. This varies between tractor brands and models but, my Kubota unfortunately uses a special oil that is $65/gallon! My Massey hydraulic oil is $105/5Gallon bucket. I have zero experience with hydraulic systems compatible with 0-20W engine oil.

In terms of diesel engines, I haven't been around one that wasn't designed for 15W-40W DIESEL ENGINE OIL like the Rotella I use in all mine.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #100  
These examples make me think that the way to handle ordering parts these days is to get an invoice or purchase order, some kind of paper trail for it. Not just a verbal communication of the price. I don't understand how some of the people who work in these places can live with themselves.

The local Toyota dealer doesn't understand why I drive an additional 45 miles each way for service and factory parts. Sure, it is probably cheaper for me to be PRICE GOUGED locally than the driving expense for an additional ~90 miles but, screw them! A $20 part from Toyota (MSRP) for $42! 🤬🤬🤬 If I broke down in front of their dealership today, I'd walk home before buying parts from them today. And this was Pre-COVID so, none of the supply chain comments to justify price gouging today.

I realize a business needs to make a profit to make payroll, taxes, utilities, etc. but, consumer abuse like this at a minimum unethical. Victimizing people without other options and taking advantage of people that aren't knowledgable about their car should be illegal. How someone can charge $350 for a $100 car battery to a 76 year old widow and sleep at night is beyond me.