Vacant and Vacancy Tax Spreading?

/ Vacant and Vacancy Tax Spreading?
It's not easy at times, believe me. I'm just blessed to have good renters.

Vacant property tax to me sounds like a thinly disguised way to fill the depleting local government coffers and nothing more and I'm sure glad we don't have anything like that here.

I own quite a bit of 'vacant' land both here and in Northern Michigan that we use for recreational and hunting property and I certainly don't want any taxing entity to try to 'milk' me for even more taxes. Here in Michigan, my vacant land is for growing crops and is under the Michigan PA151 which essentially reduces the property taxes to almost nil. The up north property is taxed as vacant land but the tax rate is much less than land with a dwelling on it.

Glad I don't live in California or anywhere where the local taxing entity feels empowered to extract even more taxes for whatever reason.

Hard enough getting by today as it is.
Dad had friends that ran cattle… can’t do that anymore because the pasture is now included in vast wetland buffers… but he is suppose to control vegetation fuel load to mitigate fire risk.

/ Vacant and Vacancy Tax Spreading? #12  
Lots of folks with building lots putting on the market because of the tax… people are not buying because they don’t want to be stuck and having a lot is no guarantee the owner can get a building permit and getting one often takes years.
That is an unbelievably nasty government trick.

For those who do not know, the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency has many hurdles in place for anyone who owns a lot in the Lake Tahoe area and wants to build a cabin. Takes years and lots of $$ just to .. maybe .. obtain a permit.

Then a different agency comes along, and slaps a $6k/yr tax for not having yet built a cabin on your lot. What idiot would now purchase any bare lot under those conditions? If this stands I could see the entire market for bare lots being destroyed.

Lots of variations but by any measure a taking.

Currently there are homes in Tahoe without insurance and with 180 day occupancy the choice is move in or sell?

Why anyone would want to become a housing provider especially with today’s squatter laws and insurance issues is unfathomable to me.

/ Vacant and Vacancy Tax Spreading? #14  
For those who do not know, the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency has many hurdles in place for anyone who owns a lot in the Lake Tahoe area and wants to build a cabin. Takes years and lots of $$ just to .. maybe .. obtain a permit.
Lotsa folks in the Bay Area own vacation houses in the Tahoe area, or other parts of the Sierras. It is laughable that they call them "cabins", since they are usually 3bed/2bath conventional houses with often more square feet of area than houses they own here. Many owners would rather not rent them out, even if that could be lucrative. Being a landlord can work for some folks if they have good tenants, but many of us have been landlords before, and would never do it again.

Any property tax is a "taking" by the govt, but we have learned to live with them. Here in CA, the govt still can't figure out if it is legal to own a firearm magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds.

Back in the 90s, it took me about 2y to get my building permit on my 19 acres in Santa Clara County. It takes longer now, so vacant land sales are slow.

Yep… vacant land is difficult to value especially if development may not be possible even if proper zoning and utilities in place.

Now adding 6k penalty for vacant status is piling on.

It wasn’t too long ago when those not developing were praised… go figure.

The cabin of my grandparents is 800 square feet circa 1960 and was on septic for 3 years before mandatory forced hook up.

Water, sewage, garbage cannot be opted out… it is required even if not used.

Trying to add a half bath proved impossible so it stays as it is.

The bears are protected and several times during pandemic entered and made a mess… but owners face stiff penalties if bears are harassed.

It’s no joke trying to get insurance let alone rental property insurance at Tahoe…

Many owners shutter for the winter as access is limited and dealing with repairs in winter is problematic.

Taxation without representation?

By definition a vacation cabin/home is not a residence so the owners are excluding from participating in voting issues and in a place like Tahoe it means major decisions are effectively made by a few.

/ Vacant and Vacancy Tax Spreading? #17  
Next will be a bedroom vacancy tax.

:(

Bruce
A few years ago I read about some study which calculated how many empty bedrooms there are in this country. Why would anybody need to know that? I can just imagine somebody telling 86 YO mother that she has to give people a place to live, as she is still in the house my paternal grandfather built in 1927, and raised 6 kids during the Depression.

/ Vacant and Vacancy Tax Spreading? #18  
Observations made here could easily fit in your other thread as well.

The circumstances suck, no question. The big picture is there is such a fondness for public policy giveaways that the thirst for new revenue sources will not be quenched. Vacant lot tax today, who knows what tomorrow? The trends are all going toward even more tax and regulation in the name of "justice" for others. More money collected and more money spent.

When I was young, people who worked hard and became successful were admired and looked up to. A "self made millionaire" was considered an exceptional accomplishment. Others aspired to try to achieve that and if they only got halfway they were lauded for accomplishments.

Now, people mask and hide their accomplishments or success. A message has been spread that successful people must have cheated along the way. Which ignores the hard work and risk taken in order to get ahead. And if that is not bad enough, just being successful is now branded as a group that is "failing to pay their fair share." Of course the term "fair share" is never defined-- because even if you get close, the goalpost is then moved. It's pathetic. But it is also an established treadmill of how to win votes and raise money.

In a "regular" society, you might have a chance to get momentum for an initiative to roll back or block the idea of vacant parcel taxes. But even if it is fundamentally right to make such a change, the voters will never approve it. They have been conditioned that someone that has more than they do must be punished in order for "social justice" to prevail. No tears will be shed for those who can afford a second home-- no matter if the issue is right or wrong.

A cynical view, for sure. And views I wish I did not hold.

Maybe it’s all part of fundamentally changing America?

Private property is a cornerstone of America just as freedom of religion is another cornerstone.

Losing property for the benefit of others is eminent domain and fair value must be paid…

I don’t understand how a person can be compelled to go into the rental property business on property they own for their pursuit of happiness?

Even with exemptions the waiver requires the granting of waiver by petitioning.

the closest cabin neighbor is a firefighter and rescue team member… I bet there are tests when he is away from his home more than 6 months in a year…

When an ordinance says days per year I guess no need to sleep there… right?

If there was ever a case for the Supreme Court I think this is it.

Last edited: