My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,771  
So right you are David ! When you have land with projects and trying to build a house also it gets complicated. My biggest fault has always been that i almost get something completed and then i go to something else ! Drives the dear wife crazy ! Hope your surgery goes well and gets you back to a more pain free life.

Have a Happy Easter !!

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,772  
Well, you guys warned me, that I would be working on things for years after moving in. It’s been almost 10 months ...
10 months is nothing. I started building my house in 2005, and I'm nowhere near close to being done with it. But in my case, we keep changing our minds and redoing everything before we finish anything.

Kitchen is being moved to the other side of the house, the front door has now become our back door with a massive new porch, and the front door doesn't even exist right now. Work Shop is being converted to a Great Room, and we added a large 3 car garage to the side of the house. The list gets gets bigger every year, it never gets smaller.

My wife says that I have to have it all done before I can retire, which will never happen, so who knows when it will be done!!! :)

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,773  
LOL. Right you are Eddie! I'm going on 11 years now... I just made the doors for the laundry sink cabinet this afternoon. Should be able to get that installed in a couple weeks, and then I could sort of call things done(-ish). That is the last rough-work item left outstanding - the plumbing stub-outs have been sitting there patiently for a looong time... I still have baseboard to do, and will add some upper cabinets in the laundry room plus built-ins in the master closet, but those are getting into the "nice to have" list more so than the critical list. I have also downshifted my efforts this past year to "we'll get there when we get there" as I am not interesting in knocking myself out for this anymore. So much is complete that I'm not worrying too much about what little is left.

Keep at 'er David, and it will get better but it takes a very long time doing it this way. You need to be patient and have understanding family members for this to work...

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#4,775  
The process of building this place has given us educational opportunities that we never imagined before. We see things with new eyes. Fields and homes and barns that we might have driven past hundreds of times but never really noticed are now interesting. I find myself wondering “what made them build it that way?”
And now, I am starting to wonder how long did it take to build and what came first.
I have looked at old houses, where there was an obvious difference from a main house to an addition, based on building materials and style/technique. But I never considered that they probably moved in long before the house was “finished”

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,776  
I do the same when looking at an open pasture. How many years did it take them to clear all that land? What did they do to support themselves while spending money on building the farm?

#4,777  
What did they do to support themselves while spending money on building the farm?

These days, there has to be some other job. Not sure if there was a time in the last hundred years, when you didn’t have to have something else going on to keep a farm going.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,778  
These days, there has to be some other job. Not sure if there was a time in the last hundred years, when you didn’t have to have something else going on to keep a farm going.

Agreed - grandfather from 1900-1955 had 200 acres of woodlands and 100 tillable and did cord wood for the paper mills in the winter, and milked 30 Jerseys, bottled and delivered milk and eggs to 250-300 houses year-round. The side business was the wood business.

My father took over the milk business in 1950 and the rules/regs of pasteurization were not tenable. So became a beef/ chicken/veal farm with hay/grain and he had a state job to support the farm in the 60s - 70's while I worked the fields.

Today farming is either big business 1000+ acres, or small operations specializing for farm to table - but most of these also need another job,

#4,779  
Barn scheduled for Monday and Tuesday next week. Had shoulder done yesterday. Was still finishing the mini split instal for my bedroom at 6 the night before. And doing some tractor work till 8. Cut down the septic stack to ground level as per Jefanna’s request. It released a cloud of black flies which surprised me.
I had a bunch of nee fence supplies come in and was glad my son was here because he assembled the solar charger cart while I was finishing up work online. He also helped me get the mini split squared away. Im going to run three line of electric rope temporarily and then get some permanent high tensile in (also electric). Temp should help to figure exactly where we need the fence situated

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,780  
Hope surgery went well and you recover quickly