How many acres do you own?

/ How many acres do you own? #121  
I live on 110 acres of farm land my dad and I bought in 1980 in South Carolina and I own all of now. I built my house in 1996 to 1998. Cut the trees of the place and sawed the lumber for the house. I have a large farmer friend that farms the row crop on about 30 acres of it. 4 acres I just fenced in for garden and my house is on 4 acres or so of pasture that I cut for grass. The rest is woods. Taxes for the 110 acres and house is less than $700 a year.

/ How many acres do you own? #122  
Sounds like diving is allowed off your banks Mr. Oosik! That would be amazing, to have that kind of depth in a pond...

Any fish? (Just asking for a friend )
Look on the very left side of the picture. That is the very highest cliff around the lake. That is the NW side of the lake. My son and his friend use to dive/jump off that cliff. There is a rope - so they could pull themselves back up. It drove my wife crazy - watching the kids do this. Now my son is 50+ and says he can't understand how he had the courage. The cliff edge is 42 feet above the water.

Fish - Yes, right now it's large and small mouth bass. I find it amazing to sit on the cliff and watch the schools of bass as they make a circuit of the lake. The schools are gradated. Smallest in the lead - medium sized make up the middle - lunkers in the rear.

We usually get a pair of river otters visit every winter. They make a "belly slide". High up on the side and down one of the few small valley - out onto the ice. It fun to watch them. They will do it for an hour or so. Then they get down to business. They don't just come for the sliding fun. They enjoy the bass also.

They will make a hole in the ice. Next to the cattails where the ice is thin. They will catch 4 or 5 bass and then sun themselves on the ice as they enjoy eating the bass. Hold the bass in their two front feet and munch away. Sound like a kid munching on a dry icecream cone.

They will stay four or five days. Then gone - like a wisp of smoke. No idea where the come from or where they go. We are a good 30 mile south of the nearest river - Spokane river.

WA State game biologist says they are river otters. He might be mistaken - they could be lake otters.

Last edited:
   / How many acres do you own?
I live on 110 acres of farm land my dad and I bought in 1980 in South Carolina and I own all of now. I built my house in 1996 to 1998. Cut the trees of the place and sawed the lumber for the house. I have a large farmer friend that farms the row crop on about 30 acres of it. 4 acres I just fenced in for garden and my house is on 4 acres or so of pasture that I cut for grass. The rest is woods. Taxes for the 110 acres and house is less than $700 a year.
Damn, 4 acre garden? Do you sell produce? Last year was my first garden, maybe 100 square feet. LOL...

/ How many acres do you own? #124  
Ha, ha. Our first garden was 80x120. This was before all the critters found it. We planted 14 hills of zucchini. Wife and I made - zucchini EVERYTHING. Took several loads to work and give them to the work crew.

It was a great garden. Everything grew so well. I even planted a row of Kohlrabi. Looked like little green Martians. I enjoyed the garden. I DID NOT like doing the work and having the critters eat it all.

I think the final straw - the wife came ROARING in the house. "Do you know what those @#$% chipmunks have done?". They had eaten every one of her strawberries. Just before they became ripe.

/ How many acres do you own? #125  
Ha, ha. Our first garden was 80x120. This was before all the critters found it. We planted 14 hills of zucchini. Wife and I made - zucchini EVERYTHING. Took several loads to work and give them to the work crew.

It was a great garden. Everything grew so well. I even planted a row of Kohlrabi. Looked like little green Martians. I enjoyed the garden. I DID NOT like doing the work and having the critters eat it all.

I think the final straw - the wife came ROARING in the house. "Do you know what those @#$% chipmunks have done?". They had eaten every one of her strawberries. Just before they became ripe.
Reason my cousin bought an old greenhouse for almost nothing but the labor to move and set up.

No more critter problems and extended growing season...

/ How many acres do you own? #126  
We own 26 acres in New Kent County VA. On a reservoir, House (under construction) lot is about 1 acre, the future orchard area is about 1/2 acre and the equipment storage/parking are is about 1/8 acre. 800' of gravel road, all of this in a cut over area. Of the remaining 20+ about half is in plantation pine and half in second growth. Turkey and deer abound. The terrain is plenty steep to serve as a natural backstop out to about 200m for shooting.

/ How many acres do you own? #127  
We have 80 acres in rural MO near STL on the Big River.

50 acres are farmed by a neighbor raising feed corn and beans.

20 acres are woods.

10 acres are grass and hay.

I’ve got a 35 HP Bobcat tractor and 2 Zero turn mowers.

All is good except in Spring when it seems it’s impossible to keep up with road weeds (gravel road about 1/2 mile) and mowing due to rains/wet areas. By June all is back to normal.

/ How many acres do you own? #128  
My farm is about 112 acres, I use for cows and hay, my hunting camp over on the Gulf coast is 3.5 acres of mostly pine and Live oaks, it's right across the road from the hunting club that I am in it's 96,000 acres.

/ How many acres do you own? #129  
Damn, 4 acre garden? Do you sell produce? Last year was my first garden, maybe 100 square feet. LOL...
That's what I just finished putting 8' fence around. The plan is to start selling some stuff when I quit work but for now the plan is to give away what we don't need.

/ How many acres do you own? #130  
My farm is about 112 acres, I use for cows and hay, my hunting camp over on the Gulf coast is 3.5 acres of mostly pine and Live oaks, it's right across the road from the hunting club that I am in it's 96,000 acres.
A hunting club that owns 96,000 acres?! That's one hell of a club!