What do you drive for a truck?

/ What do you drive for a truck? #271  
Once you strip the almost 200 lbs of EPA stuff; are there any other major issues with the Ecodiesel? My understanding was the source of pretty much every catastrophic problem with them originated with the EPA stuff, that can just be removed
I know someone who is in the Ecodiesel cult and has two of them. Which is why I know what I do know about a vehicle that doesn't interest me one bit since I'd have no use for one.

He's been looking at buying a spare crate engine. And if they still have a 15% failure rate, that may indeed be a good idea.

Apparently they run much better with a certain tune, but still seem to want to run quite hot when towing. Of course, towing with any 1/2-ton doesn't go completely unpunished.

Anyway, that they destroyed the crankshaft can't really be blamed on any emission equipment, I think. And if it was a good engine I'm sure that Ram would've loved to keep selling them, to help the corporate mileage standards.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #272  
I had read the 'main' source of the eco diesel problems was the high exhaust gas temp, and the EGR stuff. I'm sure it's not the source of 100% of the failures.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #273  
And if it was a good engine I'm sure that Ram would've loved to keep selling them, to help the corporate mileage standards.

I doubt whether it was a "good" engine with great fuel mileage had much to do with its demise. The people who make these decisions look at one thing only - how many of them sold. The numbers is all that matters to them, if it doesn't sell in the hundreds of thousands every year then it is on the chopping block.

And in addition to all the EPA crap on the engine that caused reliability problems, the manufacturers added on a huge surcharge for a diesel - another thing guaranteed to make a buyer think again. $4000 surcharge!

2023 Wrangler Diesel.jpg

When Jeep announced they were putting the 3.0 litre diesel in the Wrangler I was ecstatic...until I saw that what used to be an overpriced $40,000 vehicle was now closer to an $80,000 vehicle (because all the dealers were putting a huge dealer markup on each diesel in addition to the already inflated list price).

So no wonder the diesel Jeeps didn't sell well. Why pay thousands of dollars more for a diesel engine...can't make that up in fuel mileage costs!

/ What do you drive for a truck? #274  
All super short boxes ):

/ What do you drive for a truck? #275  
The numbers is all that matters to them, if it doesn't sell in the hundreds of thousands every year then it is on the chopping block.

....the manufacturers added on a huge surcharge for a diesel - another thing guaranteed to make a buyer think again. $4000 surcharge!
FCA/Stellantis didn't sell hundreds of thousand of several vehicles, yet kept making them. Think Hi Po Challengers and Chargers, Trackhawks, TRXs, etc.

Also, that $4,000 diesel option is about half of what it is for a Cummins in a Ram. Of course, it's not even close to half the engine.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #276  
I have a 2009 Tacoma that I bought used 6 or 7 years ago (my wife got tired of me beating up the minivan hauling stuff). After about a year and a half of driving that, I decided I wanted something with a bit more "character" and better suited to working in the woods. A friend a few miles down the road is in the business of restoring old Dodge trucks, so he helped me find Brutus, a 1951 Dodge M37 made for the military during the Korean War. Short wheelbase, good ground clearance and will go almost anywhere. It's slow (you sure don't want to get caught behind me on a long upgrade), but I don't need a "go fast" truck. The biggest downside: when I drive it into town to run errands, I have to allow an extra 1/2 hour or so on every trip to chat with the people who want to know more about it, or the veterans (Korean and Vietnam wars) who used to drive one.

Still has the fold-down troop seat benches in the back, so it works fine for people hauling as well:
Gagner Gang on Brutus.jpg

/ What do you drive for a truck? #277  
I have a 2009 Tacoma that I bought used 6 or 7 years ago (my wife got tired of me beating up the minivan hauling stuff). After about a year and a half of driving that, I decided I wanted something with a bit more "character" and better suited to working in the woods. A friend a few miles down the road is in the business of restoring old Dodge trucks, so he helped me find Brutus, a 1951 Dodge M37 made for the military during the Korean War. Short wheelbase, good ground clearance and will go almost anywhere. It's slow (you sure don't want to get caught behind me on a long upgrade), but I don't need a "go fast" truck. The biggest downside: when I drive it into town to run errands, I have to allow an extra 1/2 hour or so on every trip to chat with the people who want to know more about it, or the veterans (Korean and Vietnam wars) who used to drive one.

Still has the fold-down troop seat benches in the back, so it works fine for people hauling as well:
View attachment 859758
I'm jealous to no end..... One day I'll have one of old trucks to plod around in.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #278  
I'm jealous to no end..... One day I'll have one of old trucks to plod around in.
M37 Trucks are not all that expensive. That same model year in a Dodge Power Wagon (which shares many of the same components) in similar condition would probably start at 4 times the price of this one.

It's when you go the "resto-mod" route that they get expensive (replace with a modern diesel or V8 engine, which probably also requires new axles, transmission and transfer case, and upgraded brakes to handle the higher speeds). If you can live with a truck that is comfortable going 40-45 MPH and maxes out at 50-55, they can be a good match. If you want a "go fast" truck, you are probably better off getting a modern truck: by the time you make the changes to one of these to get it safely to highway speeds, you'll probably have the same amount of money into it (more if you are paying someone else to do the work.)

If you are seriously in the market, Check out the Dodge M37/M43 Facebook group. There are always some mentioned for sale there.

Last edited:
   / What do you drive for a truck? #279  
I’m hearing Ram’s coming out with a turbo straight six gasser to replace the 392.

Modern Ram/Cummins trucks are amazing. Only truck I ever owned that I really liked a LOT. I want to take care of it more than any other I owned.

Diesel 1/2 tons are about done. They didn’t sell well. I think the reason is because the average guy buying an F-150 just wants a go-fast grocery getter with some badges & decals that look cool and take the kids places.

Very few 1/2 ton owners work their trucks hard. A few do, but not many. Diesels don’t make a lot of sense for that application. VW also put a big hurtin on smaller diesels.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #280  
I think the reason is because the average guy buying an F-150 just wants a go-fast grocery getter with some badges & decals that look cool and take the kids places.
I never did understand the draw of "sport" trucks. To me, a truck is for getting something done. But I guess whatever floats their boat...