Best subcompact for the money

/ Best subcompact for the money
Last edited:
   / Best subcompact for the money #52  
I'm tired of buying riding lawn mowers that don't last because they are built cheap and still cost an arm and a leg. I'm thinking of buying a subcompact tractor to mow the property and use it for light tractor work.

What are the best ones for this purpose and for the best bang for the buck?
If you want a tractor just to mow and can figure out a way to clean out the packed in grass in the spring when the grass is wet internally and externally then a MMM....mid mount mower on a tractor will give you a reliable mowing device and cut a smooth lawn.

If you want to use the tractor for other things, the mower can get in your way if it is a MMM but a shredder on the rear solves both problems. A shredder doesn't necessarily manicure a lawn....can cut a pasture really nice....for a pasture. The mower can be attached or removed easily from the 3 pt lift if you want to do something else with your tractor like cultivate your garden, or smooth out your driveway....with the proper implements for the intended purpose. Last a shredder doesn't clog like a MMM and it is easily lifted by the 3 pt. giving you access to the underside easily.

On which is the best, you can ask a dozen owners of different machines and probably every one will recommend the one they purchased. Lots of folks are color lovers so orange or green are the only colors they will even consider. Numerous other manufacturers have very reliable machines at a lot lower initial cost. There are pros and cons for all of them and most folks seem to need a dealer close by and worry about parts in the future. If you can do your own work, The internet and UPS solves your problems. My last purchase (new) was from a dealer 250 miles away. I had a problem with a rear light with an intermittent problem. Called the dealer, he sent me a new one, I put the old one in the box and sent it back....done deal.

I have 7 tractors from a new 25 hp in a 2021 purchase up to an 84 hp early 1990's used one I recently purchased. Their colors are shades of blue and red.

On a dealer next door, if you are totally inexperienced and don't do your own regularly scheduled maintenance then a dealer next door is a necessity. If you are like me, I have been farming for 45+ years and never had a tractor back to the dealer for anything and I have had several new ones and lots of used ones over the years. The lots of used ones over the years were upgrades as I could afford an upgrade and because my farming operation increased in size.

If you want a tractor just to mow and can figure out a way to clean out the packed in grass in the spring when the grass is wet internally and externally then a MMM....mid mount mower on a tractor will give you a reliable mowing device and cut a smooth lawn.

If you want to use the tractor for other things, the mower can get in your way if it is a MMM but a shredder on the rear solves both problems. A shredder doesn't necessarily manicure a lawn....can cut a pasture really nice....for a pasture. The mower can be attached or removed easily from the 3 pt lift if you want to do something else with your tractor like cultivate your garden, or smooth out your driveway....with the proper implements for the intended purpose. Last a shredder doesn't clog like a MMM and it is easily lifted by the 3 pt. giving you access to the underside easily.

On which is the best, you can ask a dozen owners of different machines and probably every one will recommend the one they purchased. Lots of folks are color lovers so orange or green are the only colors they will even consider. Numerous other manufacturers have very reliable machines at a lot lower initial cost. There are pros and cons for all of them and most folks seem to need a dealer close by and worry about parts in the future. If you can do your own work, The internet and UPS solves your problems. My last purchase (new) was from a dealer 250 miles away. I had a problem with a rear light with an intermittent problem. Called the dealer, he sent me a new one, I put the old one in the box and sent it back....done deal.

I have 7 tractors from a new 25 hp in a 2021 purchase up to an 84 hp early 1990's used one I recently purchased. Their colors are shades of blue and red.

On a dealer next door, if you are totally inexperienced and don't do your own regularly scheduled maintenance then a dealer next door is a necessity. If you are like me, I have been farming for 45+ years and never had a tractor back to the dealer for anything and I have had several new ones and lots of used ones over the years. The lots of used ones over the years were upgrades as I could afford an upgrade and because my farming operation increased in size.
Acquiring a subcompact with a mid mower would fulfil several needs but replacing the riding mower is primary. I just spend a few $$ repairing my expensive riding mower yet again because its not built like a tractor. The steering system is a joke, I've better engineering on a go-cart.

But all that being said I'm starting to lose the idea of buying a new subcompact to replace the riding mower, mainly due to the price. Like everything else these days the cost has skyrocketed and the dealers don't want to deal much. I found many "new" older tractors on the lots like a 2-3 year old that's been sitting through the summer heat and freezing cold winters but they want close to inflated 2024 prices. This is all due to the Covid saga apparently. I get the feeling dealers got stuck with these tractors because few want to or even can't buy in this economy and projected future.

/ Best subcompact for the money #54  
The Federal Reserve pumped an unprecedented amount of money into the economy during covid on top of what they'd already pumped into the system since 2008. That has a lot to do with why prices of everything have increased so much. If you really need a more substantial mower, it is doubtful prices are going to decrease absent another financial meltdown.

The other thing to consider is the thread discussing the EPA extending the diesel emissions requirements to add them to diesels under 25hp.

So if you really want a more substantial mower with a small diesel that doesn't have the emissions stuff, it looks like they will become more expensive as time goes on.

The Federal Reserve pumped an unprecedented amount of money into the economy during covid on top of what they'd already pumped into the system since 2008. That has a lot to do with why prices of everything have increased so much. If you really need a more substantial mower, it is doubtful prices are going to decrease absent another financial meltdown.

The other thing to consider is the thread discussing the EPA extending the diesel emissions requirements to add them to diesels under 25hp.

So if you really want a more substantial mower with a small diesel that doesn't have the emissions stuff, it looks like they will become more expensive as time goes on.
That's some good info, I did not know about this potential EPA change.

/ Best subcompact for the money #56  
I went through this exact scenario 2 winters ago. At the end of the previous summer, my '89 Wheel Horse 520h broke a rod. I spent the winter doing the same kind of research you are talking about here.
I mow about 1.25 acres at my house and had the opportunity to pick up a mowing job that's closer to 2 acres. Both lawns requiring some maneuverability and significant hills and steeper slops mowing. The mowing job was previously mowed by someone with one of those cub cadet zero turns. They are very nice machines and do a great job on hills but this job is steep enough that they still could not handle it.
For years I owned old garden tractors (JD 318, Wheel Horse 520h, Cub Cadet 1450). I want to work on old stuff for fun, not because I needed it to mow the yard. I refuse to waste my time and money with big box store junk. This led me to the conclusion that I need a 4x4 subcompact. The ability to add a FEL, 3pt and rear PTO are all added bonuses that make the monetary investment more worth it.
In shopping, I came to the same conclusion you did... PRICE! Used was my only affordable option. You obviously never know what you get buying used so I at minimum wanted to buy from a reparable dealer in the area that other people spoke highly of. I spent some time, as you are, figuring out which machine would be the best machine to buy used. I read a lot of reviews and read a lot on people's opinions on forums.
It led me to the Massey GC series (made by Iseki). For similar age machines and similar hours, they ran about $2000 less then Kubota or Joh Deere. Most found them to be comparable, if not better in some ways, but at a better price. I found a 2012 gc2400 with good hours, an MMM and FEL hook ups (did not have the loader) at a dealer 45 minutes away.
I have been very happy with the machine. It does not have loaded tires, but I am constantly impressed with how well it climbs and how stable it is with R4 industrial tires. Different tires would probably perform even better but they do not tear up my yard. if you are used to a general compact tractor, it will feel twice as fast. Not a zero turn, but with a knob on the wheel, it took 45 minutes off of my mowing that took 2 hours with my old wheel horse. As long as its not to wet, it also drags logs out of the woods for firewood that I did not think it would be capable of.
If you want something that will mow faster then what you have had, is built better then what you have had, will mow hills better then what you have had, can do more then what you have had and won't break the bank, a used subcompact tractor is exactly what you need. I just so happen to like the Massey and highly recommend it.

I went through this exact scenario 2 winters ago. At the end of the previous summer, my '89 Wheel Horse 520h broke a rod. I spent the winter doing the same kind of research you are talking about here.
I mow about 1.25 acres at my house and had the opportunity to pick up a mowing job that's closer to 2 acres. Both lawns requiring some maneuverability and significant hills and steeper slops mowing. The mowing job was previously mowed by someone with one of those cub cadet zero turns. They are very nice machines and do a great job on hills but this job is steep enough that they still could not handle it.
For years I owned old garden tractors (JD 318, Wheel Horse 520h, Cub Cadet 1450). I want to work on old stuff for fun, not because I needed it to mow the yard. I refuse to waste my time and money with big box store junk. This led me to the conclusion that I need a 4x4 subcompact. The ability to add a FEL, 3pt and rear PTO are all added bonuses that make the monetary investment more worth it.
In shopping, I came to the same conclusion you did... PRICE! Used was my only affordable option. You obviously never know what you get buying used so I at minimum wanted to buy from a reparable dealer in the area that other people spoke highly of. I spent some time, as you are, figuring out which machine would be the best machine to buy used. I read a lot of reviews and read a lot on people's opinions on forums.
It led me to the Massey GC series (made by Iseki). For similar age machines and similar hours, they ran about $2000 less then Kubota or Joh Deere. Most found them to be comparable, if not better in some ways, but at a better price. I found a 2012 gc2400 with good hours, an MMM and FEL hook ups (did not have the loader) at a dealer 45 minutes away.
I have been very happy with the machine. It does not have loaded tires, but I am constantly impressed with how well it climbs and how stable it is with R4 industrial tires. Different tires would probably perform even better but they do not tear up my yard. if you are used to a general compact tractor, it will feel twice as fast. Not a zero turn, but with a knob on the wheel, it took 45 minutes off of my mowing that took 2 hours with my old wheel horse. As long as its not to wet, it also drags logs out of the woods for firewood that I did not think it would be capable of.
If you want something that will mow faster then what you have had, is built better then what you have had, will mow hills better then what you have had, can do more then what you have had and won't break the bank, a used subcompact tractor is exactly what you need. I just so happen to like the Massey and highly recommend it.
Thanks for the detailed reply!

I thought about buying used, and still could, but it is a risk that has to be considered.

Short story: I bought a NX50 HST Cab new in 2019 but a few years later after the 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty expired the tractor experienced a major malfunction leaving my tractor unable to move backward. The HST had to be removed, parts ordered and then replaced. The shop had my tractor for weeks. Fortunately I still had a 4 year powertrain warranty after the bumper-to-bumper so it was covered.

With my luck if I bought used I would end up with a tractor with hidden problems that don't surface until after the sale.

Well I wanted to make the T25 work but it turns out you can't have a mid mount mower and a backhoe, its one or the other.

The Kioti cs2520 is now the leading contender.
Message to myself?

After doing more digging, not with a backhoe, I decided a backhoe is not a priority so I'm going to reconsider the T25. Besides, all my research so far points to the T25.

Carry On and Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em

/ Best subcompact for the money #59  
I can't use a ZT. I have some steep hills to mow that require good traction.
most hilly fields or yards have a unsteep way to get to the top...just use that to get to the top and mow the steep parts downward.

/ Best subcompact for the money #60  
I'm tired of buying riding lawn mowers that don't last because they are built cheap and still cost an arm and a leg. I'm thinking of buying a subcompact tractor to mow the property and use it for light tractor work.

What are the best ones for this purpose and for the best bang for the buck?
In my opinion you are better off getting (new or used) quality mower, Ferris, Scag etc. and a used small agricultural tractor, you are then sorted.