Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #21  
A good shop would have a smoke machine to see where the leaks are. That's the best way to troubleshoot it. Otherwise it's a guess.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning
Look at the air intake to be sure it isn't cracked somewhere, especially the accordion sections. I doubt this is where the problem is.

Remove the top cover so you can check the hoses underneath it.

The air intake runs directly into the throttle body which is the metal body next to the green arrow.

Basically, take a look at every hose they'd have to have touched in order to replace or work on the throttle body.

View attachment 851692
Thank you all for your great suggestions.

I am going back out, removing cover and start looking. I will post back soon w my findings...thank you very much all

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning
Ok, i found a disconnected hose from its nipple ) see first pic.

The second pic is further back so you know the area.

I have the battery disconnected. After about 20 mins, I’m going to run her on the interstate for 20 mi’s hey speed sbd see if the engine light goes off. If so, then no more error codes tripping the eng light. Sound like a plan?

You guys are great !!!!

Attachments

• 7CEFD914-E5B3-4E15-A9C9-613A24A3E71B.jpeg
    7CEFD914-E5B3-4E15-A9C9-613A24A3E71B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 179
  • A0D3A77F-92F1-4C9B-A759-3D3D13F6731F.jpeg
    A0D3A77F-92F1-4C9B-A759-3D3D13F6731F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 174
   / Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #25  
Hopefully that will fix it. Nice of them to leave that disconnected for you.:rolleyes:

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #26  
If you don't have one, I'd suggest buying a decent code reader because it can be really handy to read and clear codes at home without having to rely on the auto parts place or or repair shop. Also suggest getting a battery tester which can help point to whether a battery needs recharging or replacing. They aren't that expensive these days.

UPDATE

After I reconnected the battery, the ck-engine light did not come back on upon starting....I ran the car on the interstate for 10 miles and the ck-engine light never returned. That should have been enough cycles to trip the code if there were still the problem, yes?

Bottom-line, you guys helped me fix the problem for our daughter, and it is such a great peace of mind now. My wife, daughter and I are truly grateful for your quick and sincere responses. I wish the rest of the country [washington DC] could work as effectively as we all did today !

Again, many thanks and wish you all the best, tstex

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #28  
UPDATE

After I reconnected the battery, the ck-engine light did not come back on upon starting....I ran the car on the interstate for 10 miles and the ck-engine light never returned. That should have been enough cycles to trip the code if there were still the problem, yes?

Bottom-line, you guys helped me fix the problem for our daughter, and it is such a great peace of mind now. My wife, daughter and I are truly grateful for your quick and sincere responses. I wish the rest of the country [washington DC] could work as effectively as we all did today !

Again, many thanks and wish you all the best, tstex
plus you saved $150

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #30  
Yes, I'd be pretty certain you found/fixed it. The vacuum leak was letting unmetered air into the intake causing the idle to increase. Just like cracking open the throttle a bit more. The ECU was trying to reduce the idle through it idle air control (IAC) and was unable to - hence the light.