1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #161  
I think DEF usually shows up over 75 HP.

Don't worry about the emissions. Unless you can find an older tractor and have the time and ability to keep it running, the size you need will have some type of emissions. Just learn what they need.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #162  
For new tractor buyers the PTO operation is something to consider. If the tractor is to be used for mowing, haying, power raking, snowblowing or tilling....or any operation where the PTO is used, then spend a little time figuring how the PTO is engaged on the model tractor that interests you.

There are several different types of PTO controls. The best PTO controls allow the PTO to be engaged/disengaged and clutched completely independently of what else the tractor might be doing.

You want a PTO that takes the load up controllably rather than abruptly, has over-driven protection, and that lets the implement be brought up to speed before starting to move off.

Not related to the PTO, but another feature some find useful is automatic draft control on the 3pt hitch. That starts to be an available option at about 30 to 40 hp and up. Auto-draft control really makes a difference in plowing or any type of 3pt ground breaking. It has no other use that I know of...
rScotty

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #163  
I’m in the market for a 35 HP tractor and I’ve done a lot of research as a first time buyer.

The tractor will mostly being used for dirt work around the house (2 flat acres) and lifting items with the FEL. I also have 100 acres of hunting property to brush hog roads/shooting lanes, and plant about 5 acres of food plots.

Dealers seem to be a hot topic when it comes to tractors so I’ve narrowed it down to these, their time selling the tractors and distance from me.

YT235 - 2 dealers (1 has been selling Yanmar for 8 years and is 25 miles away, they only sale yanmar products). Other one is 40 miles away, didn’t get details on selling time

Kioti ck3520SE - 27 miles away, only been selling Kioti for 8 months.

Kubota L3302 (or L3902) - 2 dealerships within 20 miles. Been selling as long as I can remember.

Anyone have any experiences with these tractors, part availability, etc? I’d be doing as much repair work myself as possible.
In my opinion, if you are capable of doing most of the work your self I would cross all three of those dealer reliant tractors from your list and look at larger second hand machines with as little electronics as possible. As has already been suggested some thing 60 to 70 horse (maybe even 80) with the larger frame and engine block will be more comfortable, handle the equipment with less stress, be more stable (particularly important for use with the loader) and probably cost a lot less. Personally I would go for a Ford but Massey, International or John Deere would all serve you well with ample back up of new or used spares.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons
In my opinion, if you are capable of doing most of the work your self I would cross all three of those dealer reliant tractors from your list and look at larger second hand machines with as little electronics as possible. As has already been suggested some thing 60 to 70 horse (maybe even 80) with the larger frame and engine block will be more comfortable, handle the equipment with less stress, be more stable (particularly important for use with the loader) and probably cost a lot less. Personally I would go for a Ford but Massey, International or John Deere would all serve you well with ample back up of new or used spares.
While I do think that’s a good point - it’s not a good short term fix.

From what I realized after posting this, I’m really trying to do the work of 2 tractors with 1 tractor. A smaller tractor would probably be fine for the little bit of house work I need and a larger tractor would be much better suited for the hunting property.

However, since I obviously can’t buy 2 now, the hunting property really isn’t much of a factor for another 5-10 years and maybe at that point, another tractor could be an option.

With that said, I’m still no closer to a final decision than I was before I posted this lol. All have pros and cons and there’s so much brand loyalty with Kubota (rightly so) but hard to pay a premium for less tractor, just for the “what if” I have an issue with the tractor.

The YT235 is probably in the lead currently, followed by the L3302, then Kioti 3520SE.

I’m still torn between gear drive and hydro… on one hand, gear drive just seems fun, like a tractor is supposed to driven, and on the other hand, hydro would probably be more convenient, but obviously at a cost (literally) and power.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #165  
One thing to consider is if the tractor needs DEF. Somewhere around 28 to 35 HP is where tractors start requiring DEF, and DEF is a real pain to deal with. A friend of mine just bought a Kubota tractor and later discovered that if it had 1-2 less HP it would not have needed a DEF system.wrong. DEF doesn’t become part of the equation until 75 hp.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #166  
I've had a YT235 fel for 6 years. Love it and have had zero issues. Perfect for the 4 acres around the house and being a one man wrecking crew. Tires were filled and added a 3rd function valve myself with several other implements. Any questions on it let me know.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons
I've had a YT235 fel for 6 years. Love it and have had zero issues. Perfect for the 4 acres around the house and being a one man wrecking crew. Tires were filled and added a 3rd function valve myself with several other implements. Any questions on it let me know.
Good to hear, how much did the 3rd function run you and was it hard to install? I for sure want rear remotes but wasn’t sure about a 3rd function

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #168  
Good to hear, how much did the 3rd function run you and was it hard to install? I for sure want rear remotes but wasn’t sure about a 3rd function
3rd function was $800ish (W.R. Long kit) vs. $2100 that the dealer wanted to install a Yanmar kit. Pretty easy install of just removing a rear wheel and tapping into the power beyond port with the new parts. And have some extra fluid on hand to top off what you lose.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #169  
The 35 horse modern tractors seem to be kind of the worst of modern tractors. You have all of the emissions equipment headache but not much actual power.

In this case I would rather have my Kioti CK2610 and just turn it back up without the emissions headache or I would get a tractor with a little more HP.

FWIW l, my CK2610 has been a solid tractor and I live in an area that is hard on tractors and tractor drivers. (Pacific NW, hilly terrain, construction, light logging and light mowing...) I had a Japanese made compact Mahindra that was also sold under Bobcats name before this tractor and it was far less capable.
I hate the emissions BS also, but the CK3520 only has a regen button. No DEF. The dealer told me you might go 500 hours before ever hitting that regen button so it was a non issue for me. If that is true and it takes that long to require the DPF to need regen then the machine is extremely clean burning.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #170  
I hate the emissions BS also, but the CK3520 only has a regen button. No DEF. The dealer told me you might go 500 hours before ever hitting that regen button so it was a non issue for me. If that is true and it takes that long to require the DPF to need regen then the machine is extremely clean burning.
500 hours? That's not common on a Kioti. Most people are 20-50 hours between