Got asked to bid a very unusual project

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #161  
too much risk. I would pass.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
too much risk. I would pass.
I appreciate the opinion.
I am going to proceed with bidding because I have a flaw of loving dangerous, risky work (farming & land clearing).

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #163  
I don't think he can pass without passing it on to somebody capable of doing the job. He's their go to guy and they are probably a very good client.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #164  
I would do exactly that, but here’s the difference on my project (IF it becomes my project).

1. Rivers have current. If you hook to a larger log and it breaks free, the current could drastically multiply the resistance pulling the log. That could be a disaster. You had the benefit of no current in a lake.
2. You also had the benefit of not having a log jam. When your logs were pulled across the lake, there was no risk of all of them breaking free and floating down a river, doing possible property damage.

I am still thinking wait until river is wadeable and cutting logs off a small piece at a time and letting them float away. Still has risk, but little overhead cost and smaller chance it all breaks free at once.
I know you know the difference between a lake and moving water. Moving water is a whole 'nuther animal.

I could just see an 80’ tree breaking loose and pulling anchor truck into the water…. :rolleyes:

yeah, no thanks.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #167  
Instead of cable, I would use a rope strong enough to pull the item, but weak enough to break before it pulls your machine into the river,

Instead of cable, I would use a rope strong enough to pull the item, but weak enough to break before it pulls your machine into the river,
That’s all I have anyway (rope), but point taken. I do have winch cable, but I’m hesitant to use a vehicle to pull to the rivers bank.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #169  
Use both attach the cable to the rope then you can cut the rope if it starts to pull the truck..

Use both attach the cable to the rope then you can cut the rope if it starts to pull the truck..
And much easier to rope logs while in the water than cable them….

I like it.