Massey Ferguson 165 Clutch

/ Massey Ferguson 165 Clutch #1  

Henry34

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 165
I have the opportunity to buy a massey ferguson 165 gas from a friend. It does not have multipower. I got it home with the contingency that if the PTO didn't operate any equipment that I might pass on it. I don't know much about Massey tractors but I found out that this is a two stage clutch. The problem is looking back whenever I have driven it, it only stops moving when the clutch is to the floorboard. I went and tried to hook it up to the baler to see if she'd run it- the PTO hasn't been used in the 7 years she's owned it, it's only just been a loader tractor.. Every time I'd try to engage the PTO all it would do is grind and not engage. I shut it off, went online and found out that this is pretty common and all it might be is a simple adjustment at the clutch pedal. I loosened the clevis bolt and turned the clutch clockwise and retightened. Now the clutch is soft and won't engage at all and I can't put it in any gear. Any advice on what the problem might be or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

/ Massey Ferguson 165 Clutch #2  
Dual stage clutch is adjusted underneath
Are three bolts that have locknuts on them usually adjust them to 80 thousands or 60 whichever works better take bottom inspection cover off need a flashlight and couple
Of skinny 9/16 wrenches
Adjust free travel on pedal first
Use a bar to hold shaft loosen bolt put about one to one and half inches of play
Should feel two different stages in clutch
First stage will be softer when main clutch releases. then will get tighter
When you depress pedal
To floor should release pto clutch
If it does not work or will not depress pressure plate is probably junk

/ Massey Ferguson 165 Clutch #3  
Are three bolts that have locknuts on them usually adjust them to 80 thousands or 60 whichever works better take bottom inspection cover off need a flashlight and couple
Of skinny 9/16 wrenches have to spin engine over with screwdriver to get to all three bolts
Use a bar to hold shaft loosen bolt put about one to one and half inches of play
When you depress pedal

/ Massey Ferguson 165 Clutch #4  
Deja vu

/ Massey Ferguson 165 Clutch #5  
Can get to bolts from inspection plate

Attachments

• 38D5E933-7817-4E62-A911-9F0EB267E6C1.jpeg
    38D5E933-7817-4E62-A911-9F0EB267E6C1.jpeg
    573.3 KB · Views: 36
   / Massey Ferguson 165 Clutch #6  
First I'd like to say a MF165 can do the work of 2 tractors built in the far East and have lots of life left over. The ONLY caveat has to do with diesel engine. Like it's gasoline counterpart the diesel engine is good as they come but are super expensive to rebuild when they wear out. Point being that after spending what it cost to rebuild a diesel the thing will last the rest of your life then some. Anywho what I reccomend is buy the IT munual at Tractor Supply Company. It has a wealth of easy to understand repair instructions with pictures. The clutch pak is supposed to be adjusted on the bench before installed but as 981 says above a passable job can be done through inspection hole but the throwout bearing fingers are also adjustable so getting full understanding from the IT manual will really help. If you have a way to support halves after tractor is split, replacing clutch isn't complicated nor time consuming.

/ Massey Ferguson 165 Clutch #7  
Before you get carried away with internal adjustments, look at the clutch pedal linkage. I believe there are two positions on the pedal linkage to switch operation from PTO use on non PTO use. A clevis pin on the linkage can be moved from one hole to another changing the stroke of the pedal. One way the pedal will operate both stages of the clutch, the other only it only operates the transmission stage. Not saying the PTO portion may not be stuck, damaged or out of adjustment internally, but this shouldn't be overlooked since you don't know all the history.

/ Massey Ferguson 165 Clutch #8  
Sorry 1/2 inch wrenches

/ Massey Ferguson 165 Clutch
Of skinny 9/16 wrenches
When you depress pedal
Update...

It moves now and I can put it in and out of gear without issue. I also adjusted the three bolt in the clutch after removing the inspection plate. The PTO goes on and of with the lever with some grinding and the clutch pedal has no affect on it when depressed. I check to make sure the depth was set correctly and that the bolts contacted the plate when the clutch was depressed. Everything underneath looked to be in good shape. No metal fragments or oil. What needs to be done to get this fixed? Thanks everyone for your replies!

/ Massey Ferguson 165 Clutch #10  
do you feel both stages of the pedal if you do then more than likely pto disc is stuck to plate
So you can see if you can hold pedal down and get a skinny blade in there but it will be tough
Or you can find a heavy load with the pto and hold clutch might break free or go boom have seen both
Splitting tractor is super easy especially with concrete
Clutch is gravy also don’t need a lot of tools