Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #31  
Cloud stores are oversold and over marketed. There is enough technology available today at agreeable price points to where storage should never leave your property. I am talking terabytes available under 100 bucks. Unheard of 5 years ago, dreamed of 10 years ago. LOL.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #32  
Cloud stores are oversold and over marketed. There is enough technology available today at agreeable price points to where storage should never leave your property. I am talking terabytes available under 100 bucks. Unheard of 5 years ago, dreamed of 10 years ago. LOL.

Makes sense. OTOH back then, burglars used to also steal the VCRs that recorded them!

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #33  
Makes sense. OTOH back then, burglars used to also steal the VCRs that recorded them!
Agreed! I always thought it was less than prudent to put the VCR in the closet with the alarm panel, behind the alarm keypad. That always seemed to me like a neon arrow pointing out where the goodies were, and yet many folks did that.

Which is why I think that it is prudent to hide/fortify the locations (plural!) of that type of equipment. For example, the controller/computer/primary storage in one place, and backup storage elsewhere. There are some pretty nice "digital safes" designed to hold running disks available, but do something smart to hide it, preferably somewhere surrounded by items that to a burglar have low value.

I think making life difficult for a quick smash and grab burglar is one thing, and is a very different security profile compared to someone who has a reason to target you personally. The latter is a much much bigger challenge, at least in my opinion.

All the best,

Peter

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #34  
I bought a cellular based camera recently. I picked a Reolink Go PT because it doesn't store the data on their servers ("in the cloud") unless you add that feature and pay for it. And it seemed to have good reviews. I've only had it set up for a few weeks but it seems to work well.

It needs to be pretty close to the trail/road or whatever you're monitoring for the person/vehicle identification to work. Like 30' or so.

Storing data on the camera instead of the cloud means that if thieves steal the camera they got the images too and you probably did not get a copy.

Even though the image storage is not in the cloud, the management of the device goes through their servers. It's kind of unavoidable with a camera for a remote property. For your situation I think you could use wifi cams (with range extenders as needed) connected to a recording device at your home on the property. Then both the management channel and the image storage are under your control. You'd also save the expense of SIM cards with their monthly access charges for each camera.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #35  
Dahau is a banned manufacturer in the USA.
Really? THey sell in the US. THey also make most of the other brands that sell, like Qsee, Amcrest, etc....

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #36  
and meanwhile, I"m sure DJI is sending back all your drone footage....

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #37  
I was told earlier that Ring doorbell cameras store 100% of the video footage on their servers whether you subscribe to their cloud service or not. So, they keep videos of your property you may not know even exist.

Related, I was told there is history that Ring has turned such videos over to law enforcement for prosecution even if the person being prosecuted was the customer who originally bought the Ring doorbell. If that is true it is the ultimate "snitch" machine. 😃

I don't know if that is an internet rumor or something valid, but it did come to me from several sources.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #38  
Really? THey sell in the US. THey also make most of the other brands that sell, like Qsee, Amcrest, etc....
Yes, by Executive Order and the National Defense Authorization Act , FTC, GSA, NSA, Pentagon, Treasury and Commerce all have info.

I think they are in the process of selling to Taiwan to escape sanctions. Don't follow that anymore.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #39  
and meanwhile, I"m sure DJI is sending back all your drone footage....
LOL.

So it is a really interesting subject. They have air gaps now. And they really don't transmit to China. They transmit to either Chinese owned or hacked locations. Barring that they hack globally and steal what they want, when they can.

Why set up an infrastructure when I can just "use" yours? LOL.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #40  
I thought about video surveillance when we first moved onto the property. My outer gate is a mile down my driveway. There is an entire pine forest between this gate and my house. At the very best - cost prohibitive.

We had MANY uninvited "guests" when we first moved here. My private ten acre lake was stocked with Rainbow trout. Many reaching 4 to 6 pounds.

Sooo..... as we were building the house - I kept my loaded 12 gauge close at hand. All the uninvited were met by me and my shotgun.

The reasons and excused were long and varied. The answer - plain and simple. The "word" spread quickly.

The County Sheriff visited after about two months. We got all our concerns/questions answered and he left satisfied.

Forty two years now and I've only had two uninvited guests after that first year. Not their fault. A mapping company in Seattle had my driveway listed as a county road. Took over a year to get that corrected.

Nuff said.........