Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,131  
Read that somewhere else a while back. Not buying their excuses. How did they manage before all those modern e-pay methods came along? Kinda sad when the government doesn't accept their own currency.
Maybe they know something we don't! LOL

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,132  
The bridge was knocked down, blocking the port of Baltimore.
Last year 25K tons of chocolate came through that port.

I'm scared!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,133  
The bridge was knocked down, blocking the port of Baltimore.
Last year 25K tons of chocolate came through that port.

I'm scared!
My guess is NJ and VA are going to be a bit busier, in 2024/25.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,134  
Yeah, but how long to get that bridge replaced? Jon

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,135  
I used to carry a 50 for emergencies. Now I've had to boost that up to a 100$ bill.
We've always had a couple hundreds tucked away in our luggage, overnight bags, place in the car, etc. just in case when we go out of town and lose our wallets, or run into a place that give a cash discount that's worth the trouble. I'm probably not going to go out to the car to dig out a $100 bill to save 75 cents on a $25 bill. But I will go out to the car to dig out a $100 if the business only accepts cash.

I only know of one restaurant in our area that only accepts cash. And one antique/junk/fleamarket type small shop.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,136  
Today that would be like handing someone a $500 bill. Not a common denomination. There are more $100s than $1s in circulation at the moment though.

View attachment 859153
I've never seen a $500 bill. My dad showed me a $1000 when I was a kid. He got it for a bonus in the 60s. Every sibling got to hold it for about 5 seconds, then pass it along. That was a big deal when he was making under $10k per year back then. (y)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,137  
Reportedly 116k tons going at 8 knots I can't imagine the size or number of bollards or caisons needed to deflect or impede something that big from striking a bridge pier and causing it to collapse. Takes away some of my confidence driving over the Mackinaw bridge a dozen or so times a year in Michigan Especially now when I see lake freighters in the straits.
The Mack has a much, much wider safe passage lane than the Scott Key Bridge did. Try crossing it on a bike on the grated part if you want a real thrill. Been there and did that before and knobby tires make it even worse.... and the piers on the Mack are substantially larger as well and the ships are smaller too.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,138  
I think it was the third grade when we played grocery store and how to spend play money....We went on a field trip to the local bank. The manager went into the safe-deposit safe for a moment and brought out a 10,000 dollar bill.

We could look but not touch. He said it had been in the safe for a long time and he was going to send it in for some smaller bills.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,139  
With the ways things are going maybe bring back the $500 and $1,000 bills?
The way things are going our total net worth has increased significantly in the past few years compared to the 4 before it, where it went down.

So yes, we are better off today than we were several years ago.

I'm not sure why that's not the case for others in my demographic? And definitely why it's not the case for folks that make more than us.

Wife and I make a tad less than average wages combined for a married couple. I make less, she makes more. We live below our means.

Does anyone do a net worth statement anymore? I ask my coworkers, and they all say NO. I tell them to do it for themselves. They all say NO. I ask why? They shrug their shoulders. I can't figure it out.

We've done a net worth statement at least annually since we got married. Now that things are electronic, it's even easier. It all goes into our financial software and updates almost daily.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,140  
I've never seen a $500 bill. My dad showed me a $1000 when I was a kid. He got it for a bonus in the 60s. Every sibling got to hold it for about 5 seconds, then pass it along. That was a big deal when he was making under $10k per year back then. (y)
When I was a car dealer gopher mostly washing and gasing cars or bringing out keys to those looking there were times the owner sent me on a bank run to Bank of America.

16 years old and thousands in cash with a deposit slip in my button shirt pocket.

Maybe thought a kid would be the last person carrying cash?

This is when I saw $500 and $1000 bills...