Best subcompact for the money

/ Best subcompact for the money #22  
View attachment 857072
Can’t use a ZT due to steep hills?
….your prayers are answered!!!

The Cub Cadet Pro Z 560 S KW!

It has 4-wheel steering, it’s built like a tank, mows steep hills safely and effectively…it’ll save you a bunch of time when compared to a compact tractor w/MMM...and it cuts great too!

Mike
Same here. In the mountains of WV and have no problems with this.
4-3-23 (5).jpg

/ Best subcompact for the money #23  
What problems are you having with your 445?

They are not built significantly different than many of the subcompacts other than tire size.

4wd Subcompacts loose significant agility/turning radius in comparison as well. A neighbor with 8 acres and significant trees took nearly twice as long to mow with their 25hp SCUT than the it took for me to mow with a 48” exmark WB with sulky and they couldn’t do the steep ditches that had to be mowed across the slope.

After they witnessed it the second time they purchased a grasshopper front deck mower

/ Best subcompact for the money #24  
4WD and mower deck (with quick and easy attach/disconnect) for sure and a rear PTO. I would also want the loader if it also has a quick and easy attach/disconnect.
I guess that puts the kibosh to the ZTR crowd. I looked at the ZTR's and they just could not go where I needed to go. I even looked at the Cub's with all wheel steering, but they were still just 2WD.

I was in the same mindset as you about getting a mower that would last. In my opinion anything less than a SCUT is a wasted down payment. This is what I settled on and am very happy I did.

Kubota BX2680 with turf tires and a 60" mower. I have since bought a 48" land plane for my driveway, and a 60" plow for snow when I don't really need the 4320. It won't mow like a ZTR but it will mow in places that a ZTR won't.

20180616_201242.jpg

/ Best subcompact for the money
What problems are you having with your 445?

They are not built significantly different than many of the subcompacts other than tire size.

4wd Subcompacts loose significant agility/turning radius in comparison as well. A neighbor with 8 acres and significant trees took nearly twice as long to mow with their 25hp SCUT than the it took for me to mow with a 48” exmark WB with sulky and they couldn’t do the steep ditches that had to be mowed across the slope.

After they witnessed it the second time they purchased a grasshopper front deck mower
The 445 is not my current mower, the current mower is a Husqvarna TS 354D. The 445 has a bad motor and needs other work. I was going to rebuild it but I've been saying that for several years now so time to sell.

Mowing speed is not a priority for me. Currently I use my NX with the 7' cutter for most of the property except for around the house where NX would destroy the lawn. If I get a good subcompact I might just use it for all my lawn maintenance.

/ Best subcompact for the money
I guess that puts the kibosh to the ZTR crowd. I looked at the ZTR's and they just could not go where I needed to go. I even looked at the Cub's with all wheel steering, but they were still just 2WD.

I was in the same mindset as you about getting a mower that would last. In my opinion anything less than a SCUT is a wasted down payment. This is what I settled on and am very happy I did.

Kubota BX2680 with turf tires and a 60" mower. I have since bought a 48" land plane for my driveway, and a 60" plow for snow when I don't really need the 4320. It won't mow like a ZTR but it will mow in places that a ZTR won't.

View attachment 857143
Did you get the loader with it?

/ Best subcompact for the money #28  
didn't mention # of acres you're cutting. suggest considering a diesel front mounted ZT mower. also go with bar rear wheels rather than turf for the hill sides. & get all tires fluid or foam filled. to be honest, never been impressed w/sub compacts belly mowers... (boy, that will draw some ire here) :)regards

/ Best subcompact for the money #29  
   / Best subcompact for the money #30  

View attachment 857143

LOL. Not all ZT’s are created equally.

I demo’d several ZT’s on my property before purchasing the commercial Cub Cadet which was the most capable mower on my hilly property, not to mention, the fastest. But, you’re right, most ZT’s were slipping and sliding down my hills and simply couldn’t accomplish the task. My Kubota B2601 w/ 60” MMM w/ wheel spacers wasn’t nearly as safe as the commercial Cub and struggled on the hills.

I’m all for the OP buying a tractor. Go for it! Diesel. 4WD. Hell yeah! It can do a lot more than a ZT.
But, if you’re mowing steep hills, tractor rollovers are a risk and there are better tools for the job.

Mike