Got asked to bid a very unusual project

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #311  
Believe the appropriate authority would be the Army Corp of Engineers for navigatable water ways within the United states :)
A little thread drift ,,,,,,

I lived near the Tennessee River for a time where lighted navigational posts or bouys mark channels, hazards, etc. TVA who manages the river sent out divers to retrieve hazardous batteries from the river bottom that had been discarded from around these markers over many years. When asked how they knew where to search a spokesman said “ Well we figured a battery could only be thrown xx number of feet from the markers by earlier maintenance crews.” 😳

Now back to the regular scheduled programming. 😃

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #312  
So this is a recently abandoned railway in my town. We have hundreds of them here in the rust belt. Unfortunately, with their abandonment comes a lack of maintenance. I would think they would still have to maintain this, but owner tells me they won’t.
So I have been asked to remove this log jamb.
I have my ideas, but thought some backround information would be helpful.

There is no access from the RR bridge. It is closed off and off limits, so debris cannot be removed from there.
On the right side of the picture, the land you see is mush. You cannot realistically get equipment to the edge of the river from there.
On the left side of the picture, there is a “ledge” of ground. You can get a pickup down there, but not much bigger without cutting/building an access path.

View attachment 848250

My thought was to rent a crane with a clamshell bucket and an operator and have him “grapple” the logs and swing them over into a waiting debris truck. The crane would sit where you see the foot tracks in the foreground.

Water is fairly deep and current fairly strong. The width of the water from the center of the rail bridge center support to the edge of each bank is about 50’ of water.

Thoughts?
Saw this on my way home tonight. Finally going to tear down this dilapidated tavern that's been an eyesore for 30 years. Specs says it has a 61' reach max along the ground. Just thought it was kinda coincidental in timing.

IMG_6147.jpeg

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #313  
Saw this on my way home tonight. Finally going to tear down this dilapidated tavern that's been an eyesore for 30 years. Specs says it has a 61' reach max along the ground. Just thought it was kinda coincidental in timing.

View attachment 849719

That’s a heck of a machine to knock down a 1 story building.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
The reach may be far, but at max reach, the lift capacity is pretty limited.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #315  
Hay Dude I'm with airbiscut. I think you'll get through this ok. I like your attitude towards the whole job and I look forward to seeing the end result.
Even if he doesn't use dynamite?

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #318  
That’s a heck of a machine to knock down a 1 story building.
Local company. He won't have to move much, and won't have to drive over the basement. There's no room on the rear and one side, as the building sits about 5' from the property line on those two sides. Probably bid on the job, as it's a county ordered demolition on abandoned property.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
Local company. He won't have to move much, and won't have to drive over the basement. There's no room on the rear and one side, as the building sits about 5' from the property line on those two sides. Probably bid on the job, as it's a county ordered demolition on abandoned property.
Funny you mention this. Here in PA we have counties, of course, but on a smaller scale we have townships.
Our townships are ”old-school” corruption that everyone just assumes will continue forever.
Like the township supervisor hires friends & relatives to farm township land, or do sub contract work.
Nobody cares.
In a neighboring township, there’s a lot of AG land. In the township by-laws, we were told all township contracting must be re-bid every so many years. I believe it was every 3 years.
So I called the township supervisors office (they know me) and I asked to bid on renting AG land. Their answer was “Tom _______ already does it so we don’t need a bid.“

Township secretary doesn’t even know the most basic township bylaws. Now of course, if I raise the question, I‘d expect my cattle to be let out at 3AM or my tractors to have sand put in their fuel tanks, etc.
This small scale corruption just leads to larger scale corruption in gov____ment.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #320  
Around here it's kind of the opposite. They bid out the big jobs, but if something small needs to be done (after a storm for instance) , they'll call one of the locals who will get it done on the cheap. The contractors who are willing to put in bids would charge double.

Last edited: