Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #12  
My wife and I just bought right at 300 acres in West Tennessee. Half is cleared with row crops planted and the other half is wooded areas.

I’d like to clear the remaining 150 acres of woods, including stumps and roots to eventually plant on it. What is the best way to go about this? I’ve runs tons of tractors and equipment before but I’ve never cleared woods/timber.

Thank you for taking the time to read and offer advice.
150 acres, whats the timeline? Bring in a logging company to clearcut, then a large excavator (20 ton range) and a large dozer (100 + hp) with rippers. I would rent or lease (at least to start) so maintenance is covered. Do you have a mobile fuel and lube plan? Big stuff, big fuel bills. Are you gonna burn, stack or grind the stumps and roots ?
Maybe drop it into smaller sections, say 5-10 acre cuts to start and see just how much is involved before committing too much.

Last edited:
   / Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #13  
A couple pictures, including an aerial of the wooded area would help people make an informed suggestion.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee
Sorry if this sounds rude, but are you serious? You want to destroy 150 acres of natural wooded area? If you need 300 acres of row crops, why didn't you just buy 300 acres of existing farmland? 150 acres is already a huge farm to manage. I don't get to decide whether this is the right and moral thing for you to do, but you asked for opinions, so mine is: please don't do it.

Row crop fields are 4x the price. I can buy this property and clear the wooded acres for half of what I can buy farmland for. What’s in row crop will stay. The additional land will be made into beef cows pastures.

I know it’s unconventional but it’s far and away cheaper this way and it’s not even close. Anything usable will be cut down and used for fencing and cow pens so the wood isn’t a total loss.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #16  
2023_06_23_14.43.42.jpg

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #17  
For pasture; mulching May be an option, but you will probably need to disc and ammend the soil. Also, I've said this half a dozen times in clearing threads; some times it's easier to just go Around big trees. A 36" oak might just not be worth it...

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #18  
Row crop fields are 4x the price. I can buy this property and clear the wooded acres for half of what I can buy farmland for. What’s in row crop will stay. The additional land will be made into beef cows pastures.

I know it’s unconventional but it’s far and away cheaper this way and it’s not even close. Anything usable will be cut down and used for fencing and cow pens so the wood isn’t a total loss.
A grain lot, factory farm?
Shade for cattle would be nice.
Will you live there?

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #20  
If pasture wouldn’t you want to leave some trees for shade?
I've heard arguments for and against leaving trees in pasture. Cattle will some times shelter in a storm, and those trees attract lightning; and you Could loose 10+ head off a single lighting strike. What I don't know, is would an open field have the same number of lighting kills over time? In theory, the lighting is gonna strike in the field somewhere, regardless of there not being a tree; but the cattle won't be as tightly packed in the area of the lightning.