Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,841  
I have no problem with driving or even using fossil fuels for anything........
Your reading and writing skills continue to deteriorate. You even forgetfully have repeated more than a dozen times, in this thread, how where when and why you bought your Tesla. Please be careful typing ( and driving) .
My bad! My reading skills do suffer because I thought you was anti cobalt use for vehicles. But now that you're pro cobalt we are on the same page.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,842  
Cobalt accounts for almost three percent of materials used in Tesla-made batteries.
Cobalt isn't used in manufacturing internal combustion vehicles.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,843  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,844  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,845  
Interesting reading for you Moss. Of course I'm sure you'll have a snappy comeback...go for it:

It takes about 1 pound of cobalt to remove the sulfur from 80,000 gallons of petroleum products, like gasoline.
Tesla Y battery weights 1,700 pounds
Three percent is 51 pounds of cobalt per battery.
That equates to 4,080,000 gallons of gasoline. Over four million gallons of gasoline PER BATTERY. I'll never burn 4 million gallons of gasoline in my lifetime.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,846  
Interesting reading for you Moss. Of course I'm sure you'll have a snappy comeback...go for it:

It takes about 1 pound of cobalt to remove the sulfur from 80,000 gallons of petroleum products, like gasoline.
Tesla Y battery weights 1,700 pounds
Three percent is 51 pounds of cobalt per battery.
That equates to 4,080,000 gallons of gasoline. Over four million gallons of gasoline PER BATTERY. I'll never burn 4 million gallons of gasoline in my lifetime.
As a Tesla doesn't consume any lithium.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,847  
I'm honestly a bit surprised the manufacturers didn't go farther into the Chevy Volt style of PHEVs. At least to me, it seemed like the best of both worlds - enough battery to run most day to day driving tasks on battery alone, with the built in generator to run longer road trips without range anxiety.
Consider this: It is the worst of both worlds. One has to build a complete ICE and a complete EV not just one or the other.

The Volt was a poor PHEV. The transmission was perhaps one of the most complex mechanical Rube Goldbergs Detroit has ever produced. It was designed in a rush when GM made big boasts about the coming Volt before they actually tested their serial-hybrid design. Once they had one running they found it delivered terrible gas mileage.

A serial hybrid is ICE driving generator driving battery driving traction motor. Serial connection.

A parallel hybrid allows the ICE to directly drive the wheels, or not, as needed. And the traction motor to directly drive the wheels or not, as needed.

When the serial hybrid version of Volt failed so badly GM had to rush to design a transmission that could drive the wheels from two power sources yet also use the ICE to drive a generator.

Take some time to study Toyota's Synergy Drive system used in the Prius. I believe it is one of the greatest automotive designs of all time. Mechanically simple. Brilliant. But am sure the software and getting the control equations correct and balanced was a nightmare.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,849  
Cobalt isn't used in manufacturing internal combustion vehicles.
No? Read about all the uses for cobalt:

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,850  
No? Read about all the uses for cobalt:
I could care less about the uses of cobalt, I'm simply pointing out it's much better comparing Fuji to Macintosh as long as we're discussing apples.
The Musk and EV lust is fantastic! If we all go electric that will certainly save planet Earth as well as saving lives.
Sorry I interrupted this fantastic discussion!