Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #41  
Interesting posts and some good information, some not so good.
if you have winter fuel, and you use a hair dryer to heat your filter, your result will only be temporary as you are only changing the specific gravity of the fuel within the filter, once started you will then draw more of the summer fuel into your system. 🤔🤔🤔
Winter fuel will give you a Horsepower loss of approximately 5% of your rated power?

Diesel fuel does break down so do not keep large amounts of fuel you are not going to use in a month or two. This problem is called fuel bug, check it out on Google.

Your fuel supplier should be able to tell you when they will switch to winter fuel, if not switch to one that will.

I am not familiar with how much fuel everyone burns in the winter, but I am thinking a lot less than in summer. If possible use up all your summer fuel before fall so you eliminate part of the problem.
If this is not possible, get a separate tank for winter fuel or even use Jerry cans for winter.

Always drain the sediment and water out of your main supply tank and tractor, at a minimum of monthly depending on quantity of fuel you use.
Keep tank fill caps under cover from rain and snow and insure all vents are also clean and open.

Change your fuel filters, all, before every winter season, “no exceptions” and keep spare filters of each type you own.

Water separators are very handy and if you continue to see water in the drain side they are telling you that you have a problem with your fuel supply system.

Fuel deicers and water removal fluids are very handy and do work, use a quality product, check with your local highway haulers for advice on what they use. When not mixed do not be confused if they appear to be gelled, they will do this as they need to be mixed with fuel to do there job.

Servicing is the cheapest part of owning any machine, do not try and cheep out by missing services or change intervals. Filters are cheap, water and contamination in your fuel system will destroy them and then the real money is going to be spent.

This information is not brand specific but will work for 99% of the units currently in use.

I live in Canada and have a very good understanding of what is reguired to run diesels in winter conditions. Cheers

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #42  
I grew up on a farm in Nebraska with a lot of livestock in the 50`s and 60`s that has to be fed, so there was no diesel tractors we had the only JD 4020 gas I ever new of. Look up comfort cover for vintage tractors on the internet. Not only do these things keep the operator warm THEY HOLD HEAT ALONG THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE keeping your diesel fuel filters warm. Also may have to block off 1/2 of the radiator.
We called them heat housers. Some equipment had reversible fan blades set depending on the temperature.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #43  
In most cases the diesel fuel supplier will provide fuel suitable for the ambient temperature. No need for additives etc.

So If you have fuel problems heat up your entire system and drain the fuel. Replace with what’s appropriate to the ambient temperatures.
No magic involved nor some exotic additive that cures the worlds problem‘s required. Just the proper fuel for the conditions.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #44  
In most cases the diesel fuel supplier will provide fuel suitable for the ambient temperature. No need for additives etc.

So If you have fuel problems heat up your entire system and drain the fuel. Replace with what’s appropriate to the ambient temperatures.
No magic involved nor some exotic additive that cures the worlds problem‘s required. Just the proper fuel for the conditions.
Not hardly, if you are buying from a station that moves a lot of fuel. Even then what you will get is fuel that was treated for the predicted low temps at that time.
It is your responsibility to maintain your fuel in a suitable state for your ambient temps.
And on top of that anyone that is buying any kind of volume is going to see a wide range of ambient temps while using that fuel.
Anyone that doesn't treat their own fuel is going to get bit in the butt sooner or later with gelled fuel,
and even those that do treat their own can get bit. So a person had better be prepared with additives and in my opinion a stock of #1 fuel to either blend in or replace if an unusual event is forecast or occurs.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #45  
Not hardly, if you are buying from a station that moves a lot of fuel. Even then what you will get is fuel that was treated for the predicted low temps at that time.
It is your responsibility to maintain your fuel in a suitable state for your ambient temps.
And on top of that anyone that is buying any kind of volume is going to see a wide range of ambient temps while using that fuel.
Anyone that doesn't treat their own fuel is going to get bit in the butt sooner or later with gelled fuel,
and even those that do treat their own can get bit. So a person had better be prepared with additives and in my opinion a stock of #1 fuel to either blend in or replace if an unusual event is forecast or occurs.
From years of observations north of the 49’th I’ve only seen one instance of a fuel retailer sending out the improper for the weather. A cold snap during warm weather. Pretty well shut down an entire construction project.
It was not uncommon to see commercial long haul trucks sitting at the roadside but those had usually fuelled up in a much warmer area and were usually the result of an unexpected cold snap At their destination.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #46  
From many years of tractor and equipment operation from upstate NY to Idaho and Wyoming I have seen several instances of gelled fuel and have been directly involved in several either as the operator or more often assisting in getting them cleared and back running. I've had 3 instances of my own gelling but I also purchase my fuel in bulk not daily or weekly. I treat my own fuel anymore (the last 20 years) and have not had an issue in many years. My equipment and the tractors I help with are used daily regardless of the weather.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #47  
If you purchase fuel in bulk you get what is presently in stock at the retailer. If your own stock extends into a different season there may be unwanted conditions resulting.

Gasoline also changes for different seasons.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #48  
When i can, i always try to by our diesel fuel at busy truck stops. The fuel is usually fresher.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #49  
Diesel911 is not designed to be a regular additive, just used for emergencies when you’ve already gelled. It contains additives that are hard on the fuel system if used all the times. Power Service makes an antigel additive that is designed for winter use along with Howes, Standyne and several others.
I ordered this, have not yet used but what do you think about this: STA-BIL Diesel Winter Anti-Gel.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #50  
No personal experience with it, most likely as good as anything else.