What size/width driveway for truck and gooseneck trailer?

/ What size/width driveway for truck and gooseneck trailer? #11  
Yep, always recess the gate for delivery trucks

/ What size/width driveway for truck and gooseneck trailer? #12  
40' for sure.

While there are some on this forum that would insist you can get a 40' gn into a narrow drive, in reality it ain't gonna happen and you are likely gonna drive tires over the ends of the Culver crushing them.

If you have a smooth area that doesn't have a road ditch, when it's dry or frozen drive the rig off the road and measure.

Or do it in a drive you know you can get in and out of. Start you turn off the road. Mark where your outside front tire is, the. Continue pulling in and mark where your trailer tires are. Take a measure.

/ What size/width driveway for truck and gooseneck trailer? #13  
When I had our house built 20 years ago we had a 40 ft culvert installed. Have never regretted it. The crew cab pickup and 28ft GN turn in with no problem. Even the semi drivers appreciate it.

RingVideo-20220915-161346_Moment.jpg

Attachments

• RingVideo-20220915-161346.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 58
   / What size/width driveway for truck and gooseneck trailer? #14  
40' for sure.

While there are some on this forum that would insist you can get a 40' gn into a narrow drive, in reality it ain't gonna happen and you are likely gonna drive tires over the ends of the Culver crushing them.

And I guess you could if the main road was 60 ft wide in front of your house. But there’s no way you can turn off a 20ft wide road 90 degrees into a 20ft driveway without running off the end with a 30ft trailer. This thread actually seems pretty well in agreement that he needs 40 ft.

/ What size/width driveway for truck and gooseneck trailer? #15  
The width of the driveway on straight sections wouldn't be my concern. Having extra wide radius corners would be the top priority.

/ What size/width driveway for truck and gooseneck trailer? #16  
I have big project planned for next year and the contractor put in a new access to our property. Forty feet of culvert, ribbed on the outside, smooth inside. Five loads of one inch minus rock on a four axle dump truck. This will allow for Anything, ANYTHING to access with no problem

/ What size/width driveway for truck and gooseneck trailer? #17  
And I guess you could if the main road was 60 ft wide in front of your house. But there’s no way you can turn off a 20ft wide road 90 degrees into a 20ft driveway without running off the end with a 30ft trailer. This thread actually seems pretty well in agreement that he needs 40 ft.
This thread, yes.

Other threads that come up time to time....there are still a few that think you can pull a gooseneck in anywhere a BP can fit, which is just physically impossible due to the pivot of the gn being in front of the rear axle, making to clip corners alot shorter than. A BP

Last edited:
   / What size/width driveway for truck and gooseneck trailer? #18  
This thread, yes.

Other threads that *** up time to time....there are still a few that think you can pull a gooseneck in anywhere a BP can fit, which is just physically impossible due to the pivot of the gn being in front of the rear axle, making to clip corners alot shorter than. A BP

A GN no doubt tracks wider than a BP. But I couldn’t make my hypothetical turn with my 24ft BP trailer either. To be fair my trailer has a long wheelbase and tracks more comparable to a 30ft. And maybe with a short wheelbase truck I could do it but with my dump truck or 4 door long bed leaf spring ford I can’t.

/ What size/width driveway for truck and gooseneck trailer? #19  
If the O/P has 20 and 40 foot options, I think we can all agree without a lot more information, he should go with the 40 foot option. There are times when I have put my rig with a 53 foot trailer down a 20 foot opening, but I really didn't like it and was sure glad I got the cooperation of a lot of people who took a few extra minutes to stay the heck out of my way. (1 mile from my house and an accident closed the road ahead, so I HAD TO take the detour down a side street with deep ditches on both sides. Knowing I would have the same issue at the other end of the street, I called my Bride and got her to come slow traffic down long enough for me to make another wide turn. Once She slowed, and I started out, a car passed her and ended up looking nose to nose with my rig. I just sat there till he figured out that I wasn't going into the ditch to make room for him after he passed my Wife on a double yellow line! He actually was nice about backing up in the wrong lane past my Wife so I could finish my turn!
( Sorry about the rabbit hole!)
David from jax
The slower you take a turn, the sharper of a turn you can make.
DfJ

/ What size/width driveway for truck and gooseneck trailer?
40’ it is, thanks for the opinions. Now I have to figure out how to get a DOT required 15” pipe in a 8” deep ditch