Parking - in the new day an age - Rant

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #81  
Right out of college, I managed a Payless Cashways (AKA Furrow Building Materials). Some moron did this, parked right in front, blocking all the exit doors... infuriated me.

I got on the store PA, said someone has their truck blocking the entrance/exit of the store, license plate ABCD, you need to move it "now" (emphasized to indicate this very instant, as in drop what you're doing)

Nothing happened.... now I'm really irritated... repeat the message... my employees were watching me silently cheering me on.

I dropped what I was doing, walked up/down each/every isle went to each customer asking if that was their truck.. "nope, not mine", no, not mine either....

I finally got to the moron as by now, it was pretty evident that I was on a mission.

He sheepishly admitted it was his... "but I'm only in here to get this gallon of paint" (or something) I said I don't care....you need to move it right now or I'll have it towed.

Everyone in the store got to watch him do the perp walk, those nearby heard the conversation and I was pretty much the hero of that day.

Really galls me, some of the entitlement that some folks seem to think they own.
Taking up both gas pumps, then going inside, getting some breakfast, and not even getting gas.

The second worst is getting gas but blocking both pumps.

Local station next to the shop is the closest place for diesel at the moment. Truck stop across the street that's easier to get in and out of has had an issue with their diesel tanks so they have been out going on six weeks.

Pulled into the station this morning. On that island they have one pump that's diesel only, the other set of pumps is for gas only.

Lady pulled in blocked both pumps. Tool her sweet time inside the store. Came out, could see that my truck was waiting for the diesel pump (she just needed to back up 3ft and the nozzle would have reached for my truck.

She instead chose to start her pump, sit in the car smoke a cigarette (pump stopped just as she was entering her car). Smoked her cigarette. Then realized the pump had stopped and she needed to start it again to finish filling her car.

By the time she left there was a cue 3 deep waiting to access the diesel pump and my truck was nosed to the front of her car so she had to back up to leave. She had to ask the people in line behind her to move so she could leave.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #82  
Taking up both gas pumps, then going inside, getting some breakfast, and not even getting gas.

The second worst is getting gas but blocking both pumps.

Local station next to the shop is the closest place for diesel at the moment. Truck stop across the street that's easier to get in and out of has had an issue with their diesel tanks so they have been out going on six weeks.

Pulled into the station this morning. On that island they have one pump that's diesel only, the other set of pumps is for gas only.

Lady pulled in blocked both pumps. Tool her sweet time inside the store. Came out, could see that my truck was waiting for the diesel pump (she just needed to back up 3ft and the nozzle would have reached for my truck.

She instead chose to start her pump, sit in the car smoke a cigarette (pump stopped just as she was entering her car). Smoked her cigarette. Then realized the pump had stopped and she needed to start it again to finish filling her car.

By the time she left there was a cue 3 deep waiting to access the diesel pump and my truck was nosed to the front of her car so she had to back up to leave. She had to ask the people in line behind her to move so she could leave.
Some people are more important than the rest of us. Your description above is one way which they let us know that.
It's 20 miles from my house in any direction to get fuel. About 12 years ago when my last dog was getting old I had to leave her home because it was just too hot to take her with me. I ended up working later than I had hoped so wanted to get home; but had to stop for gas. The convenience store, with just one pump (access from both sides) is the only game in town, and they have a sign posted; "Please move vehicle when fueling is complete."
I pulled up behind the car of a customer who was in the store and waited for her to come out.
And waited.
Finally she came strolling out, got into her car and proceeded to set there.
I tapped the horn... nothing.
I tapped it again, a bit harder. Still nothing.
I hit it again, harder this time. At that point she stuck her hand out the window and yelled "I just have one more word."
At that point I laid on the horn until she moved her G-D car. She then got out and proceeded to berate me for being impatient... while I pointed at the sign which she so blatently ignored.

The bad part is that I was in my company truck, with the name and logo emblazoned on the door.

The good part is that I was in my company truck, with the name and logo emblazoned on the door.

In my not so wise past I've been known to drop it into 4-lo and start pushing... and I was POed enough that day to do it again. Not just because waiting was an inconvenience but also because it was a hot day, I was running hours later than planned and had a dog at home who I was a bit concerned about. At the time I didn't have AC at the house, and she was old enough so that heat bothered her breathing at times.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #83  
I know that there are plenty of people who have disabilities that make it hard to walk from the back of a parking lot that can get in and out of a tall truck. I've even seen big trucks that can are modified for wheelchair users. Don't judge just because you can't quickly identify someone's disability.
I've seen many handicapped stickers on cars at work where the occupant is fully capable of walking.
If you have a lifted truck and can walk stop milking the system that is needed for those that truly need a handicap parking spot.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #84  
Or, as happened to me I was parked in a handicapped spot when he county sheriff tapped on window and told me to move it "you don't need to use that spot". i replied "I don't don't but she does" just as my wife stepped out of the store. She was the owner of the handecapped placard.
So your wife could walk?

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #87  
Lots of hate for vehicle choices for handicapped people…. Come on man!

My friend has a fox body mustang, mint condition with supercharger, big cam, manual transmission and cobra wheels… with a handicapped plate. He gets rude comments from people that think they know everything all the time when parking in a handicapped spot. After that happens he rolls up his pant leg and shows them his prosthetic leg even tho he doesn’t have to… just to shut them up and put them in their place.

Handicapped people can drive anything they want, stay in your lane and keep the rude comments to yourself

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #88  
My dad was in florida many years ago and he was running into the grocery store to get something. He's from Ohio so out of state tags.
Not hardly a car in the parking lot, very early. He came out and there was a van parked right on his drivers door with two guys in it (No room to get in). He knew they were up to no good

He was still young enough and flexible enough that he just walked toward his car as if he didn't notice. jumped in the passenger side, slide across and took off.

They were most likely armed but if they were not, it was probably good for them that my dad did that. He was a bit of a bad @$$. Farm boy strong, never lifted a weight in his life and had serious guns and also had a pretty nasty temper. Now at 82 he carries a little .22 everywhere and knows how to use it. Don't mess with those old dudes.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #89  
As I said earlier, I park away from the business door. As long as I can walk I will do so. I consider it a Blessing to be able to get from my vehicle to the door. Regardless of how long that takes.

I know people with handicap tags that need them. I know people with handicap tags that "use" them. The difference is easily discerned.

I know a guy locally that's missing a lower leg. He has handicap tags and "Disabled Veteran" license plates. He lost his leg while in the Army. Stationed in Germany. Got drunk and injured himself playing football. Didn't take care of the injury. Got infection and lost his lower leg from neglect. He falls in that second category.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #90  
I have a 2500HD, and I have a handicap placard. I can walk now, but my feet hurt very bad. Some days worse that others. 3 yrs ago I couldn’t walk, so I don’t complain. Some days I use handicap spaces some days I don’t. Depends on how I feel. You can’t see a lot of handicaps.