YKMT43 tiller oil leaking between bearing and tiller shaft. With pics any ideas

/ YKMT43 tiller oil leaking between bearing and tiller shaft. With pics any ideas #1  

gt14

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM146 YM165D
I was able to find a YKMT43 rototiller the 2000 rpm for my YM 146 Yanmar. Tiller had some leaks around the pillow block bearing so I am replacing those now. It came with a manual so I have the diagrams. Has anyone else ever did maintenance on one of these?

/ YKMT43 tiller oil leaking between bearing and tiller shaft. With pics any ideas
Need some advice on this one I just replaced both bearings on my YKMT43 rototiller. However the pillow block bearing that I purchased is leaking through the bearing. I ordered the correct PN I believe is there an option that will make the bearing sealed? Here are some pics. IMG_0101.jpgIMG_0102.jpgIMG_0103.jpgIMG_0104.jpgIMG_0105.jpgIMG_0106.jpg

/ YKMT43 tiller oil leaking between bearing and tiller shaft. With pics any ideas
Reinstalled new sealed bearing still leaking, anyone else ever have a problem like this?

/ YKMT43 tiller oil leaking between bearing and tiller shaft. With pics any ideas #4  
Have you tried 00 Grease instead of 80w90? 00 is a flowable grease.

No is that a thicker grease? I am wondering if the shaft has worn slightly and the grease is flowing bewtween the shaft and the inner bearing.

/ YKMT43 tiller oil leaking between bearing and tiller shaft. With pics any ideas #6  
No is that a thicker grease? I am wondering if the shaft has worn slightly and the grease is flowing bewtween the shaft and the inner bearing.
Well first things first is the gear box filled with 80w90 or similar weight gear oil now? 00 Grease is also called corn head grease or corn spindle grease. It's basically liquified grease. You can pour it, it comes from Tractor Supply Company in a gear oil bottle. Basically you can make something similar by mixing gear oil and regular chassis grease till it will flow.

Manual called for a 80w90w oil unless in very hot conditions then a 130w. The part that is leaking is the It is not in the gearbox rathar in the chain drive gear box. The leak looks to be coming from between parts 27 and 30 in the diagram above. I am wondering if gear lube in this area would work or is the oil required.

/ YKMT43 tiller oil leaking between bearing and tiller shaft. With pics any ideas #8  
80w90 is gear oil? 00 Grease won't hurt it. Especially since your probably like a lot of us and use it for a little bit a few times a year. It's not like grease that you grease u joints with. It will stick and bind and flow into bearings that are submerged in it.

Yes 80w90w gear oil is what the manual calls for. But it is leaking bad so I have to do something else. I am wondering if pack it with grease around the chain and sprockets it would work, my only concern is the chain tensioner. It is metal to metal.

/ YKMT43 tiller oil leaking between bearing and tiller shaft. With pics any ideas #10  
If you pump grease in there it has to go somewhere. sealed bearings are not made to be greased. I may not be understanding things correctly.