Watch out for bicycles too.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #161  
I'll repeat it again, I would rather have them ride right down the center of the lane, than to suddenly with no warning or intelligence, swerve over and "take the lane" as I approach. If you're riding down the right side of the lane, and I see you doing so, I'm (as will anyone) going to assume that is where you are going to continue to ride. I will factor that into my judgement on how to proceed, and how and where to pass you.

Suddenly spazzing out and swerving into the center of the lane is not something I'm going to expect you to do.
Amen! In many (most?) states motorists are required to give bicyclists and pedestrians 3 feet. If you suddenly zoom from one side of the lane to the other, you might get smacked.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #162  
This is why it's good to compare notes. That was my tale; but you left out the fact that there was 8 inches of snow in the road and motorists had been sharing the center wheel track; pulling out if they met somebody coming from the other direction.
He was running up that center track. If you've ever driven in that kind of snow you know that sometimes things don't go as planned. By law I am required to give him 3 feet; I chose to exceed that and leave the road.

Whatever the circumstances, I can't rationalise that a runner deserves an entire 2 lane road, any more than a motorist does.
I kept the snow out of my discussion purposely. I was just trying to talk about the aspect of the road crown, and gravel size in relation to my ankles while running. I agree, running down the middle of the road is not smart. Jon

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #163  
People going to hate me for saying this, but…

On rural roads, where cars are rare, there’s a safety advantage to walking down the middle of the road, especially at night:
When a car approaches, you only have to shift a couple feet to the left or right (10’ is better) to be in the opposite lane (or shoulder) away from the car instead of being on the same side hoping they see you, or pinned against a guard rail blinded by their headlights and just a couple feet away from them when they buzz by.

I can’t be convinced otherwise. 🤨

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #164  
People going to hate me for saying this, but…

On rural roads, where cars are rare, there’s a safety advantage to walking down the middle of the road, especially at night:
When a car approaches, you only have to shift a couple feet to the left or right (10’ is better) to be in the opposite lane (or shoulder) away from the car instead of being on the same side hoping they see you, or pinned against a guard rail blinded by their headlights and just a couple feet away from them when they buzz by.

I can’t be convinced otherwise. 🤨
That's your choice. ;) I always carry a flashlight at night, and am well out of the road if a vehicle comes along.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #165  
That's your choice. ;) I always carry a flashlight at night, and am well out of the road if a vehicle comes along.

Yes, carry a flashlight, and reflective clothing. My point is it’s safer on the opposite side of the road away from the car and it’s a shorter walk to that side from the middle (well, 50% of the time it is anyways. The other 50% you’re already there!).

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #166  
It would be of interest to check through the accident stats. Those pesky "left turns from the right lane" are all to frequent when I'm on the motor bike. and those "Left turns into oncoming traffic are BRUTAL".

Two summers ago I had a driver pull across (left turn) in front of me, I had to stop so short the front end went out about 5 feet from the guys bumper. bike down, me standing over it, one foot on the road, the other on the upright peg. The freaking driver just smiled and drove off! Oh, I do dislike that sort of responsibility.

We all need to take responsibility. Motor vehicle accidents are a real killer!
When is the last time you read about a fatal accident that envolved two two wheeled vehicles that didn't have a "cage" doing the dirty? Motorbike? Maybe at Loudon or Sturgis , Bicycles? NEVER (can't say I've heard of one.)

eta

Anyone here familiar with SMIDSY?

It's a Brit term used by bikers there.

Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You.

As they drive off!

Last edited:
   / Watch out for bicycles too. #167  
Yes, carry a flashlight, and reflective clothing. My point is it’s safer on the opposite side of the road away from the car and it’s a shorter walk to that side from the middle (well, 50% of the time it is anyways. The other 50% you’re already there!).
I understand what you say in principle. However, when I was growing up some kids were taught to get on the other side of the road when a car came and we were on our bicycles. Swerving across the road like that can be discerning for the driver at the very least.
I already mentioned this once yet it's worth repeating...
I don't do slow passes. I only will go by if I know that I have room to do so, and can give you most of the lane.
Several years ago I was coming out of the woods and came upon two kids on one bike going the same direction in my lane, which a coworker had just passed. I slowed and pulled into the other lane... just as they switched to the other side of the road, oblivious that I was there. I had a clear line of sight and it's just :censored: luck that I had slowed down; the only reason I didn't hit them is because I don't trust kids on bikes.
By all the rules of the road those kids should be dead. If not for my normal paranoia around bicyclists because they are prone to do stupid things, (although they certainly don't have THAT market cornered) I had slowed down to nearly nothing. My coworker got on the CB to make sure that I hadn't hit them; it was that close, and that stupid.
>
A couple of days ago it was mentioned that when pedaling, a cyclist often can't hear what's behind him. I've known people to blow their horns at them which is discouraged at best, as well as a good way to get a one finger wave. Yet being aware of what's behind you can make a big difference in your safety.
>
I always find discussions like this to be interesting as it gives different perspectives.
Years ago I was coming home late at night after working 2 jobs. A motorcyclist came flying up from behind and passed me, cutting me off as he pulled in between me and the car in front... which was about to make a left turn. He slammed on the brakes and I had to brake hard to keep from hitting him; after getting under control I looked in my mirror to see that another bike was about to climb onto my bumper. (To this day I don't know if the smoke rolling up in my taillights was from my tires or his.) I had already downshifted so I cut the wheel, dumped the clutch and stomped on the gas to pull up beside the bike in front, giving the other rider room to regain control at which point he gunned it out around me and they both took off again. I couldn't do that today; my reflexes are slower, and an AT just isn't responsive enough to downshift that quickly. (Plus with ABS I probably would have hit the first bike anyways.)
>
I related that experience a few years ago and another TBN member told me that I was at fault.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #168  
All I was trying to point out was that was almost certain suicide to make such an unexpected move that most sane people (and most drivers) wouldn't be expecting them to make.

This is something that pretty much all of the literature on safe bicycling stresses immensely- cyclists need to ride as predictably as possible around cars and avoid sudden moves that drivers can't react to in time.

/ Watch out for bicycles too.
On the subject of “taking the entire lane”. I will do that on occasion but only when a car is not close to me. An example would be I’m turning left at a stop sign.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #170  
Couple years ago I bought a “rear view mirror” that mounts on my bike helmet. It’s the best thing ever. You can see whose coming.

The problem with relying on sound is, there’s quiet cars.

The biggest danger, especially on rural roads with little traffic, and I still have to be aware of this with the rear view mirror, is you only see and hear the first car and think the danger is over once it goes past and don’t realize there is a second vehicle. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you can shift away from hugging the edge of the road. One could argue this is a reason to not hug the edge of the road when a car approaches.

Often when driving a vehicle and approaching a bike I’m tempted to honk horn to let them know I’m coming. However, it seems if you’re too close when you do this, you’re being rude or aggressive. I wish it wasn’t interpreted like this as it seems safer. There’s something about the sound of American horns that seem more aggressive than European ones.

Last edited: