Loader Deere 3039R with Factory Cab with FEL TILT FUNCTION too stiff to comfortably use.

/ Deere 3039R with Factory Cab with FEL TILT FUNCTION too stiff to comfortably use. #1  

ren1pa

Tractor
JD 2320
Greetings all.

I recently bought a Deere 3039R with the factory cab. I really do like it, but much to my disappointment, the SCV "joystick" is extremely difficult to use for the curl/dump function. I tried using both arms and it was still very stiff but NOT ergonomical for moving left to right at arm's length. (Neither a safe nor acceptable solution). As it turns out, the control does not directly open and close those flow valves, but rather controls a long slide cable like the throttle cable on a lawn mower, which travels several feet to the actual valve. This design is ok for lifting and lowering the loader which is no more than a push/pull motion of my arm which is ergonomically correct.

Unless the John Deere dealer has a remedy, I may have to consider returning for a different model or shop for another brand. .

Anyone else with the same problem? Any thoughts on this situation?

Thanks all,

ren1pa

/ Deere 3039R with Factory Cab with FEL TILT FUNCTION too stiff to comfortably use. #2  
Call the dealer, something is not right. It should be finger tip control not Armstrong control.

/ Deere 3039R with Factory Cab with FEL TILT FUNCTION too stiff to comfortably use. #3  
I have the same problem with my 2 year old one. It got worse after the dealer worked on it to fix the front plow drifting down after only a few feet of driving. Very annoying and every time I take it in for an appointment it takes weeks for them to get to it.

/ Deere 3039R with Factory Cab with FEL TILT FUNCTION too stiff to comfortably use.
Thanks for your comments.

I remain unable to use the joystick for the curl/dump function. The J.D. Dealer picked up the tractor and agreed it was "moderately difficult". They called a few days later and said they would oil and grease all the the controls and fittings. After a week of waiting, they notified me that the lube job was complete and offered to return my tractor. Prior to agreeing to the return, I requested that their counter person go out and check it out in person. She called back in a half hour and said that indeed it remained very tight.

They are ordering new cables, and expect delivery in 1 week. Back to me in ???.

I'm hoping for the best. I would really like this model to work as advertised.

ren1pa

/ Deere 3039R with Factory Cab with FEL TILT FUNCTION too stiff to comfortably use.
Call the dealer, something is not right. It should be finger tip control not Armstrong control.

Thanks for your input. I agree!

QUICK FOLLOW-UP: Re:" Deere 3039R with Factory Cab with FEL TILT FUNCTION too stiff to comfortably use."

The 3039R is back home with me, with smooth functioning controls. Thanks go out to the dealership staff, (they know who they are), from Salesperson & Store Manager to the parts & service staff.

ren1pa

/ Deere 3039R with Factory Cab with FEL TILT FUNCTION too stiff to comfortably use. #7  
I'm kind of a newbie here, and I have searched many a forum for answers. After coming up empty handed, I decided to do something about the stiff loader controls on my 3039R.
This has been a problem that was bugging me for some time. I had broken my arm 11 years ago, and it's never been the same. I have limited strength in my arm in the "dump" direction so I went on a mission this weekend to lengthen the lever. I had previously tried to lubricate the cables, but the fact remained that the lever was too short. I added about 9" to the lever. It looks a bit quirky (kinda like a modified shifter in some 18 wheelers I've seen), but the ease of operation has improved substantially. I can't say I was ever able to rest my forearm on the armrest when operating this before (too much force was always needed), but I am now able to feather the controls in all directions. I own a lot of construction equipment where pilot controls and shorter strokes are the norm, but for my purposes with this tractor, it was a welcome modification. I'll tie wrap the cable to the control after one more coat of paint. ren1pa, I would be curious to hear what they did to make your controls move more freely.

Attachments

• m+kQCwsBQkK0WzPwIK4VdQ.jpg
    m+kQCwsBQkK0WzPwIK4VdQ.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 179
  • N%jhsxiZSiGH1Qj9%sjjFQ.jpg
    N%jhsxiZSiGH1Qj9%sjjFQ.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 178
   / Deere 3039R with Factory Cab with FEL TILT FUNCTION too stiff to comfortably use. #8  
Nice! I just got a 3039r cab tractor and hate the cable operated loader control. I was just thinking of extending my joystick but also back towards the arm rest also. Thanks for the confirmation of giving it some finesse and better control, I will be tackling this new project.

/ Deere 3039R with Factory Cab with FEL TILT FUNCTION too stiff to comfortably use. #9  
If something is tight and starting to seize up you may eventually snap something with the extra 9 inches of leverage. Nice job on the fab work. the cables probably need to be lubed or replaced.

/ Deere 3039R with Factory Cab with FEL TILT FUNCTION too stiff to comfortably use. #10  
To clarify, the controls (in my opinion) were too stiff from the factory and I did have them looked at and lubed. It's frankly a bad system in my view and compound it with the limited strength I have in my arm, the added leverage helps me in my case and I do not have any fear of snapping anything. The ability to fine tune with the added leverage is something I never had when the controls were shorter. Judging by some of the responses I saw, I'm not the only one experiencing stiff Deere controls from what I am seeing. I do agree with you though; in some cases, bigger isn't always better ;-)