How can I be sure the check will be good?

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #141  
They come to the house, they pay me. We make out hand written reciepts and I sign the title over. They take the title and go do whatever they need to do and they come back for the car. It is either that of they have it towed. Either way before they leave I scrape off my registration sticker and take my plates off. I've bought and sole several cars through private sale here and this is how it has always been done.
You are being way stupid. You won't sell a car over the weekend, and during this time of covid ignorance, a lot of Dmvs have limited hours. And if the OP puts on a tag from another vehicle they own, THEY are committing a fraud and are subject to arrest if they get stopped. Just sell the car......

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #142  
We have only sold a few cars over the years.
There's a large cemetery about 1.5mile away with lots of paved roads going around and through it. People interested in car I drive them there then let them drive around cemetery trying it out. If they buy it we meet at a local bank where money is transferred, no warranty paper and title is signed, I remove my tags, and call my insurance company cancelling insurance.
Now it's their car and responsibility.
Yes, cancel your insurance, and the title is now in their possession with YOUR signature verifying transfer. You have zero risk after this. BTW, it may take 6 weeks to get a title transferred.....

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #143  
i've lived all over this great nation ( not NY) and in every state i lived in, both the signatures had to be witnessed by a notary.

I always try to do it a dmv.
Not in Arkansas. No notary needed.

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #144  
I’m afraid you are behind the times... Civil forfeiture in the United States - Wikipedia

continue to research and you will be shocked to discover that only 2 court cases have been overturned by judges. You will also discover this is a billion $ fundraising business for law enforcement.
Search YouTube for endless testimony of law enforcement’s abuse of these laws! This has been going on for many years! Many have their entire retirements confiscated because they were accused of being drug dealers.
I'm 62 and have been stopped maybe a half dozen times in my entire 47 years of driving. I've NEVER been worried or even asked to get out of my car and for dang sure never had my person searched. If you are truly worried about this, you have major issues.

I bought car 2 years ago for CASH in another state. $12,500, No issue. He did let us drive back with his tag and we mailed it back, and yes I did get insurance on it before we left for the purchase.
I've bought 2 lasers from China in past 4 years, wire transfers which for overseas are $60 each. Way east and safe.
I did buy a $23,000 car last year from dealer in MO, 150 miles from home. Used Cashier's check. The dealer wanted a photo of it the day before. No issues. I asked and they said Cashier's check worked for them....
But wire transfer would be safest, especially from someone out of the area.

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #145  
I'm 62 and have been stopped maybe a half dozen times in my entire 47 years of driving. I've NEVER been worried or even asked to get out of my car and for dang sure never had my person searched. If you are truly worried about this, you have major issues.
Well said. While there certainly may be innocent victims of civil forfeiture, and I am no fan of the process as-is, the risk to an otherwise law abiding person carrying cash to or from an equipment sale is infantesimal. Way bigger risk of being mugged, but even that is an extremely low incidence crime outside of metro areas.

/ How can I be sure the check will be good?
Just to update everyone, I sold the machine this morning. The buyer was from about 100 miles from me. He has a small construction business. He paid me cash.

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #147  
All is good. Thanks for closing the book on this.

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #148  
....Search YouTube for endless testimony of law enforcement’s abuse of these laws! This has been going on for many years! Many have their entire retirements confiscated because they.......
Holy crap! I did not know this. From now on i am going to use utube for all my news and facts. Thanks much!

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #149  
I agree that wire transfer is the only way to do large amounts.

I have done it twice without issue but I think a buyer can have it reversed under certain circumstances.

I paid for my backhoe by wire and sold a racecar that paid me by wire.

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #150  

I bought car 2 years ago for CASH in another state. $12,500, No issue. He did let us drive back with his tag and we mailed it back, and yes I did get insurance on it before we left for the purchase.
I've bought 2 lasers from China in past 4 years, wire transfers which for overseas are $60 each. Way east and safe.
I did buy a $23,000 car last year from dealer in MO, 150 miles from home. Used Cashier's check. The dealer wanted a photo of it the day before. No issues. I asked and they said Cashier's check worked for them....
But wire transfer would be safest, especially from someone out of the area.
This is almost exactly my experience too. Somewhere out there, though, it seems to be a mad bad world.

Or maybe it is not out there but in there? I dont know. Just TOL.