Buying Advice MF 231 for $5000 or Should I wait to buy a Kubota LX2610?

/ MF 231 for $5000 or Should I wait to buy a Kubota LX2610? #1  

rescue161

Tractor
LX2610SU
I'll be in the market for a compact tractor later this year and was looking at the Kubota LX2610. My neighbor has a relative that just passed away and his wife has a Massey Ferguson 231 with a box blade and a rotary cutter for $5,000. It is garage kept and looks new. He bought it new to clear their land and then rarely used it. He was proud of it. Anyway, should I buy this today for $5,000, or should I wait until later this year to buy the Kubota? The 231 is more tractor than I need, but I thought it was a good price and almost too good to let go. It will mostly be used to blade a long gravel driveway and to bushhog 8 acres twice a year. What do you guys think? Thank you.

/ MF 231 for $5000 or Should I wait to buy a Kubota LX2610? #2  
Buy, buy, buy!!!!! Those are great tractors and that's a great price!!!!

/ MF 231 for $5000 or Should I wait to buy a Kubota LX2610?
I just wish it had a front end loader. As far as the Kubota goes, I was going to use it to cut my lawn with a 3-point finish mower deck. The 231 is way too heavy for the yard. I only have a 1.5 acres of grass to cut. If I got the 231, it would be restricted to bush hogging and driveway maintenance. I guess I could buy it now and using for the Summer to do the driveway (it needs it bad) and then if I think I still need the smaller tractor for the FEL, then I could sell the 231. I want a tractor BAD and just don't want to make a bad decision. Trying to save for a barn and this will eat into that fund, so I'm questioning myself.

/ MF 231 for $5000 or Should I wait to buy a Kubota LX2610? #5  
Yes. Buy it now. Use it until you decide you need something different. You will get your $5K back immediately.

Actually, if it's as nice as you suggest, you can buy it and turn it for a profit.

I think you'll realize it's worth having. Even if you go ahead and buy a loader tractor. $5K is minimal investment. Even if it's only chores are the brush cutting and driveway maintenance.

/ MF 231 for $5000 or Should I wait to buy a Kubota LX2610? #6  
Plus one for the MF. You can always sell it later after you're done with it. I'm sure you can sell it for what you've paid for it.

It's a bigger machine, will allow you to take the bigger and denser brush easier, then you just need to maintain it with the smaller Kubota if you end up going that route.

It will also give you an idea on what size tractor you need, again if you end up selling the MF.

Well, I went and looked at it and it is way bigger than I was thinking. It was a 1994 model with one owner. It does have a power steering leak that I'm sure won't be a problem for the buyer. I'm sure she'll be able to sell it quick at that price, but I just can't use a tractor that big. I'm glad I went and look at it though, because it is a good deal and I would have kicked myself if it was a tractor that I could have used.

/ MF 231 for $5000 or Should I wait to buy a Kubota LX2610? #8  
Since you don't show your location, is it close to Missouri?

I'm sorry about that. I thought I had the location set. I'm in Hubert, North Carolina. The tractor is in Holly Ridge in Onslow County, NC, out near the ocean. It's along way from Missouri.

/ MF 231 for $5000 or Should I wait to buy a Kubota LX2610? #10  
Since you don't show your location, is it close to Missouri?

I knew Richard would ask. Heck I would to if I was closer. I'd go down and pay cash and haul it home on the GN. Nice utility tractor. Parts are inexpensive and Perkins motors are rugged. 5K is chump change for it.