Loader Hooks on JD Heavy-Duty 61” buckets

/ Hooks on JD Heavy-Duty 61” buckets #1  

WinterDeere

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
John Deere 3033R; JD 855 MFWD
My old tractor had a chain grab hook welded atop the customized loader bucket, which I used quite a bit for skidding logs of trailers, lifting logs with tongs, etc. I’d like to install the same (maybe three of ‘em) on my new bucket, similar to this image I found online:

IMG_0525.jpg

But the construction of this 61” heavy-duty bucket is a little strange to me. Deere seems to make their “HD” buckets by taking their standard flimsy buckets and welding an extra 1/8” plate under the top lip, to form a hollow channel across the top. Here’s some photos:

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

There doesn’t appear to be any evidence of any webbing or internal structure, it’s just a hollow channel formed by two 1/8” plates. So, if I were to use a bolt-on like shown in the stock image above, I think I’d just end up crushing or distorting the relatively thin 1/8” steel. Similarly, if I welded the hook directly to the top of the bucket, I think I’d bend the bucket under heavy use.

I’m thinking I could weld the hook to a plate, maybe 4” square x 1/4”, and weld that to the bucket. This should add substantial strength, lessening acute the force applied by the narrow foot of a weld-on grab hook to the thin steel of the bucket. The other option I considered is just welding it to the nice 1/4” thick tab at the top of the quick-attach part of the bucket:

IMG_1085.jpg

Thoughts? Experiences? Opinions?

I’ve seen a lot of bolt-on options, and I’d be interested to hear from anyone who’s used one on a Deere HD bucket, but most I see are attached to their single-wall standard-duty buckets.

/ Hooks on JD Heavy-Duty 61” buckets #2  
Re: Hooks on JD Heavy-Duty 61 buckets

Just welded my hooks to that top bucket structure. Then don't compromise the integrity and strength of the bucket which you may need for the hooks to hold the load.

Hooks are very handy.. and use them often.

/ Hooks on JD Heavy-Duty 61” buckets #3  

My old tractor had a chain grab hook welded atop the customized loader bucket, which I used quite a bit for skidding logs of trailers, lifting logs with tongs, etc. I螢 like to install the same (maybe three of 邊洋) on my new bucket, similar to this image I found online:

View attachment 633162

standard-duty buckets.

On my 61" JD bucket I took a 5/16"?? plate the width of the bucket and welded hooks like this picture except in the center I put a receiver tube for hitch balls or loops or hooks or whatever else goes in them. Works great.

/ Hooks on JD Heavy-Duty 61” buckets

On my 61" JD bucket I took a 5/16"?? plate the width of the bucket and welded hooks like this picture except in the center I put a receiver tube for hitch balls or loops or hooks or whatever else goes in them. Works great.

Excellent idea! A hook in front of each loader arm, and a receiver tube in the center? I love it.

Has the tube ever been in the way of anything? Any regrets, or task that’s been complicated by it?

/ Hooks on JD Heavy-Duty 61” buckets #5  
I bought the bolt on hooks from TSC. I picked them because they are bigger hooks so works with slings and not just chains. Titan makes a bolt on hook for chains that is not a slip hook.

Either way, drill your hole thru for the bolt, then drill an oversized hole in the top and make a crush sleeve. Weld the top in, and good to go.

I also added a ball to the center. Just welded on a reinforcement plate with a crush sleeve and bolted the ball right to the bucket.

Reese Towpower Black Bolt-On Tow Hook, Rated Up to 1, lb., 77433 at Tractor Supply Co.

https://www.amazon.com/Set-Titan-Bolt-Grab-Hooks/dp/B074HJ75GJ

Either way, drill your hole thru for the bolt, then drill an oversized hole in the top and make a crush sleeve. Weld the top in, and good to go.

I’m glad you posted this, as this is exactly what I was working out in my head, but hadn’t quite finalized the plan myself. I think this plan offers the best of both worlds, bolt-on convenience and flexibility, with the strength of tying the top and bottom of that plenum together that makes the top of the bucket. With some masking and care, I think I could probably even do this without even messing up any paint that will show beyond the bolt-on base, not that avoiding paint is my only goal.

Thanks, again!

/ Hooks on JD Heavy-Duty 61” buckets #7  

Excellent idea! A hook in front of each loader arm, and a receiver tube in the center? I love it.

Has the tube ever been in the way of anything? Any regrets, or task that’s been complicated by it?

Never. But if I put a stinger and ball in it I can't backdrag with the bucket curled under.

/ Hooks on JD Heavy-Duty 61” buckets #8  

I converted my light duty bucket to heavy by welding 1/4" on top and sides. Then I cut one leg off some HF hooks and welded them on the top.

I had a 5' piece of 4x4x1/4" angle. I cut one leg off with a plasma cutter and left about 3/4" of the leg on.

IMG_0968.JPG

I laid it across the top as shown here, clamped it down and welded it.

IMG_0971.JPG

I used pieces of the leg I cut off to reinforce the sides like comes on the JD heavy duty bucket. Then welded on some forged HF hooks.

IMG_1049.JPG

Nice! This is such a great forum, I love the variety of ideas.

/ Hooks on JD Heavy-Duty 61” buckets #10  

Took a pic of my welded hooks..

Attachments

• Hooks_welded.jpg
    Hooks_welded.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 129