Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,501  
Thanks everyone for pulling in the details of this wreck on 495. I was unable to get back on here yesterday to see the inquiries.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,502  
Man cited after historic bridge collapses from weight of semi

grand-forks-bridge-collapse.jpg

grand-forks-bridge-collapse2.jpg

grand-forks-bridge-collapse3.jpg

Anyone who blindly follows a GPS without thinking for themselves when things don't seem right should be charged the same as DUI or distracted driving. They aren't responsible enough to be allowed to drive.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,503  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,504  
Driving a 42 ton truck over a bridge with signs warning of it's 14 ton limit is beyond stupid. An $11,000 fine for a bridge that will cost $1,000,000 to replace.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,505  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,506  
Rural public road, and he ignored the bridge's posted weight restriction. I don't think GPS takes that into consideration.

Google Maps

Bruce

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,507  
Rural public road, and he ignored the bridge's posted weight restriction. I don't think GPS takes that into consideration.

Google Maps

Bruce

Exactly. But a responsible trucker should. My point is that you have to apply a layer of rational thought on top of things like GPS guidance. If you fail to execute on that rational thought part then you should not be driving a truck.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,508  
What of drivers who hit low bridges? Apparently the whole industry and it's drivers isn't what it used to be. Less money to be made and poorer quality drivers.

Coming back from Minnesota, I saw drivers in a Tim Hortons wearing Little Blue Tooth Headsets and wearing Flipflops! Are those really truck drivers?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,509  
What of drivers who hit low bridges? Apparently the whole industry and it's drivers isn't what it used to be. Less money to be made and poorer quality drivers.

There's a wooden covered bridge not too far from where I live that's been hit & damaged at least twice in the last 10 years or so by truckers following a GPS. You'd think a little common sense would kick in, but apparently not.

To be sure there's a big shortage of truck drivers...I guess the trucking companies have to take who they can get.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,510  
I almost got screwed by a low capacity bridge when I had my transport company, was driving down a 2 lane road and came across an obscured sign that all I could make out was a 3, I could see a large steel truss bridge up ahead and figured it was 30ton, which would have been more then enough for my almost unloaded truck.

Nope got almost to the bridge and happened to notice a tiny sign that was actually readable and it was a 3TON! That's right, a 3ton bridge on a fairly decent sized road. Luckily there was some guys doing roadwork that were able to help stop traffic and let me get turned around which was quite a feat as there wasnt a good spot and the shoulders were soft. And no I didn't use GPS at the time.

That said, if I rolled up to that bridge with that truck I probably would be thinking twice about crossing it.