How to deter coyotes

/ How to deter coyotes #11  
Get a donkey, yotes will stay clear, or a 7.62 LOL

I've had yotes strip an animal away from a herd with a donk. The donk and herd was safe, but one animal was antisocial, and was standoff-ish a bit.. Made it a target

/ How to deter coyotes #12  
It's not uncommon for a donkey to cause as much damage as a coyote would. Jacks can be particularly bad on calves.
Electric fence alone isn't much help unless it's netting. They can go right through wires. It only helps when it's backing up a woven wire fence, where they have to finagle their way through and usually get shocked. Still, it's not guaranteed.

/ How to deter coyotes #13  
i've never had a donk cause a problem to anything but predators or human spectators... yotes and fox.. sure.

Well, I take that back. I have had a donk/mule/horse kick/stomp a chicken flat. :)

/ How to deter coyotes #14  
Many a newborn calf has been stomped to death by an over protective jack that didn’t recognize the new addition to the herd. Most ranchers won’t consider one unless it’s cut, which seem to cause less problems. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

/ How to deter coyotes #15  
mine's cut. and yeah.. even then when we add a new animal to the herd, we put them in a adjoinging feedlot that they can see/smell each other thru a fence for a couple days.

I learned that with horses... lets em figure out who the feedboss is before the ears pin back and the dust flies the first feed time. ;)

/ How to deter coyotes #16  
   / How to deter coyotes #17  
Is it true that a coyote stinks bad when you're up close to them?

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

if you don't bury them.. yeah...

/ How to deter coyotes #18  
Is it true that a coyote stinks bad when you're up close to them?

Depends, they are like any other dog so if something smelled nice and juicy they'll roll around in it. I don't think they have any scent themselves other than being dumpster divers.

/ How to deter coyotes #19  
I’ve shot some that barely had and odor, and some that would honestly gag you if you got down wind.

/ How to deter coyotes #20  
Maybe a dumb question but how do you distinguish a coyote from a dog?