2015 LS TRACTOR - Block heater cause fire

/ 2015 LS TRACTOR - Block heater cause fire #1  

gdog26

Tractor
LS J2023H
2015 LS TRACTOR - Block heater cause fire .... anyone else..??

The extension cord from the house to the tractor is from the manufacture, and basically named and used especially for "block heater"
The entire tractor is original by the factory
Plugged the tractor around 5pm ish and fired started 2-3hrs after...

Going at the dealership first thing tomorrow morning (Monday)!! NOT impress!!!!!!!
((Anyhow, thank you god!!! and thanks again to this good samaritan and his good old wife who stopped by to let us know that our tractor was on fire!!! My wife car was 2ft behind the tractor and brother in-law SUV was just 2-3ft beside it... this could have cause a HUGE boom boom with a mix of diesel, hydraulic and gas.))

A few video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpUv51wayfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YkaBHAZ6Rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHGIrbEwyL0

I'm hoping to see the dealership taking full responsibility, thoughts?
Also thoughts or suggestions on what could have cause this, and what should I be concern once they do the repair...

From what I can see... new radiator hose, coolant, block heater, cord are required, but I wonder if something else could have been overheated but i dont know...

/ 2015 LS TRACTOR - Block heater cause fire #2  
First, Welcome to TBN.............
Very sorry to here about your fire. Any idea what gauge wire and length the factory used for the extension cord? Sounds like either the cord or the block heater failed. Very lucky a good samaritan stopped to let you know.

/ 2015 LS TRACTOR - Block heater cause fire
First, Welcome to TBN.............
Very sorry to here about your fire. Any idea what gauge wire and length the factory used for the extension cord? Sounds like either the cord or the block heater failed. Very lucky a good samaritan stopped to let you know.

thanks..
sorry, but I dont know. I went outside to check the cord installed on the tractor which was plugged into the block heater... my guess is the length is near 12ft, and the wire gauche is probably 16 assume but again, both numbers are assumptions. How can I measure the gauche wire?

edit: btw, just read the entire operator manual almost.. and they dont mention anything about that wire or block heater

Last edited:
   / 2015 LS TRACTOR - Block heater cause fire #4  
Dealer installed option?

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ 2015 LS TRACTOR - Block heater cause fire #5  
Lower radiator hose not block and not an LS part I would guess. Either your dealer will step up or they will tell you to contact the manufacturer of that heater. It looks like a zero start heater and I had one melt. I attributed to it not being fully seated in the heater. Hopefully homeowners will cover it if the dealer does not step up. Since the damage is minimal the dealer may, but if would have engulfed the tractor sadly I think you would be out of luck.

/ 2015 LS TRACTOR - Block heater cause fire #6  
Is the tractor insured?

/ 2015 LS TRACTOR - Block heater cause fire
Dealer installed option?

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

I believe everything was installed from the manufacture. I doubt this is something the dealership are doing on each of them, but i could be wrong, i should know more tomorrow morning.

/ 2015 LS TRACTOR - Block heater cause fire #9  
I believe everything was installed from the manufacture. I doubt this is something the dealership are doing on each of them, but i could be wrong, i should know more tomorrow morning.
I would go for a block heater that is install in the block though a freeze plug. Maybe the joint at the hose clamp had a small leak getting antifreeze into the heater wiring causing a short.

/ 2015 LS TRACTOR - Block heater cause fire #10  
Be careful about what you post regarding who or what is to blame until you settle this.
You could be sued for defamation (not that your point fingers at this point)

When you do find out what happened we do want the details, but you need to look out for yourself.