What can your Mini excavator do?

/ What can your Mini excavator do? #21  
Agile? yes.
Harsher conditions I would disgree in many conditions. I can take my LB115 where a 10K ex would not go. There are some situations where a tracked machine is better, too.

Snow removal?

I agree BH may be better as an all around machine especailly if a FEL is needed. I still disagree that a BH can go more places, the ground pressure of a tracked machine is far lees then a tired machine. Plus the traction factor is better on an ex. Oh, and an excavator can plow snow as long as it has the blade setup, it may be somewhat slower that's all.

I'm still confused :confused: now you're comparing an LB115 BH {110hp and weighing in at 19000LB+} to a 10,000 lb mini. So I ask again why are we comparing a VW rabbit to a dump truck? I understand you love your machine and I agree the LB is nice but when comparing lets try to be real and get the numbers atleast somewhat close :confused:.

My nortrac dozer 30hp 6500lbs can easliy out pull my craftsman rider at 15hp with a weight less the 500lbs, but then again I can cut grass with the mower :p

/ What can your Mini excavator do? #23  
Like where?

Over large rocks. They will damage or untrack rubber excavator tracks.

Also over stumpy ground I have had tracks come off. I can also cross deeper water. With the dipperstick being able to push me up in the air along with my bucket, I can lift the machine over objects and ex can't go over.

/ What can your Mini excavator do? #24  
I agree BH may be better as an all around machine especailly if a FEL is needed. I still disagree that a BH can go more places, the ground pressure of a tracked machine is far lees then a tired machine. Plus the traction factor is better on an ex. Oh, and an excavator can plow snow as long as it has the blade setup, it may be somewhat slower that's all.

Now that I gotta see. :laughing: I mean come on, talk about apples to oranges... I can put a 16' pusher box on a backhoe and clear an airport runway. Is anyone going to even attempt anything more than a small driveway with a mini-ex? :laughing:

Traction? Well, once the going gets really rough, the tracks will come off the min ex. The backhoe will get over them.

I'm still confused :confused: now you're comparing an LB115 BH {110hp and weighing in at 19000LB+} to a 10,000 lb mini. So I ask again why are we comparing a VW rabbit to a dump truck? I understand you love your machine and I agree the LB is nice but when comparing lets try to be real and get the numbers atleast somewhat close :confused:.

If you go back and read/comprehend the OP's first post, which is the premise of the entire discussion, he wants a comparison between a 9-12K ex against something like a 580. Here it is in case you can't find it:
"I am in the market for a mini excavator. Most likely used, but we will see. I have never used one, but I have used various backhoes. I am looking for one in the 9000# to 12000# range. I was hoping to get some of you guys, to post some pics of your machine, and some of the more impressive work you have done with them. My biggest concern, is that this class will not have as much digging force as a full size BH, for arguments sake like a 580 "

I am comparing exaclty what the OP has asked us to compare. I actually have about 10,000 hours seat time in both the 580 & LB115 machines and a few thousand in min ex's, which is exactly what the OP wants compared. So yes, I feel I have some basis of knowledge here. Thanks.

/ What can your Mini excavator do?
Now that I gotta see. :laughing: I mean come on, talk about apples to oranges... I can put a 16' pusher box on a backhoe and clear an airport runway. Is anyone going to even attempt anything more than a small driveway with a mini-ex? :laughing:

Traction? Well, once the going gets really rough, the tracks will come off the min ex. The backhoe will get over them.

If you go back and read/comprehend the OP's first post, which is the premise of the entire discussion, he wants a comparison between a 9-12K ex against something like a 580. Here it is in case you can't find it:

I am comparing exactly what the OP has asked us to compare. I actually have about 10,000 hours seat time in both the 580 & LB115 machines and a few thousand in min ex's, which is exactly what the OP wants compared. So yes, I feel I have some basis of knowledge here. Thanks.

Let me clarify my needs. I like the digging speed, and maneuverability of the Mini excavators. However You can pick up a very nice 580m used for around 25-30K A used Mini, in very nice shape in the 10000-15000 pound range, is 30-40K. I need to be digging out stumps, and digging ditches, and fixing roads. I find that the older backhoes I have used are very slow to maneuver. My tlb is very good for small stuff, like footings etc. But It wont handle the bigger stumps. I want to know from you all if a mini will dig say a 15 inch stump out, in a reasonable amount of time. So price, and transportability with a 1 ton truck are issues, but at the end of the day will a respected name brand Mini be able to handle the occasional bigger job, like a larger rock, or stump? I guess, I am trying to get the perfect all around "digger," at a reasonable price.

/ What can your Mini excavator do? #26  
I am in the market for a mini excavator. Most likely used, but we will see. I have never used one, but I have used various backhoes. I am looking for one in the 9000# to 12000# range...

I purchased a rubber tracked KX-91 (~ 7200 lbs, 24" bucket ) just for clearing personal land, not for commercial use. I recently fabricated and installed a thumb. I can tell you what I've done with it, but can't compare it to a 580 because I've never operated one, its also smaller than you mentioned, but close. I too have a small TLB, and the mini beats it hands down for any digging job.

Yesterday, I had two piles of 18" to 36" diameter 11' long logs that were sitting on the ground, I wanted to raise them up off the ground to prevent the bottom logs from rotting before I got them to the sawmill. I placed some trash logs along side the piles to stack the lumber logs on. I turned the cab sideways, reached out and grabbed a log, picked it up, keeping the cab sideways scooted the machine to the new pile and set the log down on the the trash logs, I did this for 38 logs. No other machine I know of could have accomplished it so easily. I wish I had some pictures, but was preoccupied. Some of the logs were too heavy for it to lift over the side at full or partial extension, so I had to work them in close where it would lift them.

I can scoot it right up next to a building and dig parallel to the building within a few inches using the boom swing and turning the house.

I haven't dug out many stumps with it, I usually attack the entire tree and use its own weight to being it down. The mini does not have the pushing power of a full size backhoe, so I usually have to dig on all four sides of a large tree - not just three sides - which is a little risky. Yes it will dig out big stumps, but getting them out of the hole could be a challenge.

I can get it in between closely spaced trees, and use the boom swing and turning the house to get at the trees to dig, its very maneuverable in tight spaces and can turn in its own length. Note that the cab sheet metal dents easily. Dragging them out and to the burn pile is another story, a tractor is probably best suited for that. The thumb is a must have for lifting logs to the top of the burn pile so they can dry, pushing up the pile while burning is probably better left to a track loader.

The front blade can do almost anything a full size dozer can do but on a much smaller scale, I've used it to cut drainage swales, scape back mud, and to back fill holes from removing trees. I also always lower it to help stabilize the machine when digging.

Yesterday I was operating in mud to the top of tracks, I was worried but no issues. obviously in the mud it could not push large amounts of mud. I've also operated over stumps and logs, no problems. The trick I learned driving tracked vehicles in the military is that when operating in any rough stuff is to make gradual turns if possible and avoid locking the tracks, the tracks will clear themselves of debris in most cases if they are allow to turn.

It really does not like wet metal ramps with the rubber tracks, the first time I loaded it my trailer in the rain I almost s**t myself because it started sliding sideways off the ramps. I ended up welding metal cleats every 4 inches on the ramps so the tracks would have something to grip.

Travel speed, even in high range its slooooow, not going to win any drag races.

Sorry to be so long winded! A few pictures below, the picture with the log is from last month. The others are after I scrapped off most of the heavy crud this morning-- awaiting pressure washing and servicing...

Attachments

• PC216431.JPG
    PC216431.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 895
  • PC216430.JPG
    PC216430.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG00068-20101122-1336.jpg
    IMG00068-20101122-1336.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 967
Last edited:
   / What can your Mini excavator do? #27  
I have a CAT 446 TLB. It has about a 25' reach with the extend-a-hoe. Problem is it weighs around 18,000 lbs. If you are digging on firm ground it is a real digging machine! We I also have a big snow bucket for snow removal. The snowmobile club I work with rented a PC50, 11,000 or 12,000 lb excavator. I picked it up with my 1 ton and a 9 ton tilt back trailer, no problem. After using that machine for 16 hours I would gladly give up my CAT! The hydraulics are strong and the speed and maneuverability are remarkable! It also had a manual thumb which worked very well also!

/ What can your Mini excavator do? #28  
Let me clarify my needs. I like the digging speed, and maneuverability of the Mini excavators. However You can pick up a very nice 580m used for around 25-30K A used Mini, in very nice shape in the 10000-15000 pound range, is 30-40K. I need to be digging out stumps, and digging ditches, and fixing roads. I find that the older backhoes I have used are very slow to maneuver. My tlb is very good for small stuff, like footings etc. But It wont handle the bigger stumps. I want to know from you all if a mini will dig say a 15 inch stump out, in a reasonable amount of time. So price, and transportability with a 1 ton truck are issues, but at the end of the day will a respected name brand Mini be able to handle the occasional bigger job, like a larger rock, or stump? I guess, I am trying to get the perfect all around "digger," at a reasonable price.

Yes, it can, but it's only going to dig out an object that weighs equal to or less than the max lift rating of the machine. If you exceed that, the machine will either run out of hydraulic force or tilt forward. Taking into account that you are comparing a 9-12K machine versus a full size B/H, I'd say the backhoe will reach further, dig deeper and lift more. I'm going by the parameters you set forth. If you bought an 18,000lb excavator, then the ex would be considerably better at digging, but still won't match the versatility.

Older backhoes are slow to manuever, but the newer ones are much faster, especially powershift. An awesome feature.

If all you're gonna do is dig, it's a great choice, but if you're doing a lot of material shuttle, snow removal, then a BH might be better. I drive my BH right down the road. It goes 26MPH. Get in the cab throw the flashers & lights on and off I go. I've driven it 5+ miles to local jobsites. If I need it hauled I can use my dump, or have it moved up to 20 miles for ~$175.

/ What can your Mini excavator do? #29  
Let me clarify my needs. I like the digging speed, and maneuverability of the Mini excavators. However You can pick up a very nice 580m used for around 25-30K A used Mini, in very nice shape in the 10000-15000 pound range, is 30-40K.

Now, if your comparing a machine close to 15000lb it will out dig/work the 580 hands down, not even a comparison as far as digging. On the other hand if you need a road vehicle or FEL stick with a tire machine. Also check out machinerytrade you may find a better deal??? I understand money can be an issue, but getting the work done and not having monkey around time{getting stuck moving constantly etc...}may make up for what you think you're saving.

I need to be digging out stumps, and digging ditches, and fixing roads. I find that the older backhoes I have used are very slow to maneuver. My tlb is very good for small stuff, like footings etc. But It wont handle the bigger stumps. I want to know from you all if a mini will dig say a 15 inch stump out, in a reasonable amount of time.

Again if your going with a 12K+lb machine you'll have NO issue's poping stumps. 15" is not all that big, I have taken out bigger with my baby mini, it did take about an hr but it still did it. A 12k+lb machine will have less issue's then a 580 digging.

So price, and transportability with a 1 ton truck are issues, but at the end of the day will a respected name brand Mini be able to handle the occasional bigger job, like a larger rock, or stump? I guess, I am trying to get the perfect all around "digger," at a reasonable price.

If your not driving to walmart to go shopping and you're buying the machine to dig, the excavator in my HONEST opinion will never let you down. An excavator can do everything you have mentioned.

/ What can your Mini excavator do? #30  
I have a CAT 446 TLB. It has about a 25' reach with the extend-a-hoe. Problem is it weighs around 18,000 lbs. If you are digging on firm ground it is a real digging machine! We I also have a big snow bucket for snow removal. The snowmobile club I work with rented a PC50, 11,000 or 12,000 lb excavator. I picked it up with my 1 ton and a 9 ton tilt back trailer, no problem. After using that machine for 16 hours I would gladly give up my CAT! The hydraulics are strong and the speed and maneuverability are remarkable! It also had a manual thumb which worked very well also!

To me this comparison speaks in volumes a BH weighing in at 18,000lbs with a hp rating of 90+, compared to an excavator weighing 11000+lbs with a hp rating of 40. Hmmmmmm Thanks for your honesty Jerryjks