X595 alternator upgrade

/ X595 alternator upgrade #1  

IamDave0887

Tractor
JD X595
Hello guys and gals.

I'm new here and looking for a bit of information.

My father picked up a 40 amp alternator to replace the little baby 20 amp on our X595 JD tractor due to adding lights and an in cab heater. The 20 amp can't keep up.

I've read the 20 amp is externally regulated, and the 40 is internally regulated.

What i'm searching for is a wiring diagram, or at least the location of the external regulator. I'm thinking it's the little metal finned box that i can see when i remove the left hand(when sitting in the seat) plastic screen panel.

Am i on the right track? I'm trying to figure out what i have to re-wire to make the internally regulated 40 amp alt work, and still have the dashboard warning light. I know there's a jumper that'll take the guess work out, but our only local JD place had their license/permit to sell JD stuff pulled because it's a little hole in the wall place(which is filthy by the way) that treats it's customers like pieces of meat with cash instead of human beings. I hate going there, so i refuse to give them my business.

Also i know this is off topic a tad but the fuel filter housing had the barb for the fuel supply line rattle out and it's been held in with bailing wire for a while. It leaks a few drips, but nothing serious. Is there a way to repair this or should i just pick up a new filter housing? Can the housing be had online anywheres or is it something i'd have to go to a JD retailer and order?

Thanks in advance!

There is no longer a warranty on this machine so i'm not afraid of modifying the wiring harness. It has just over 1300 hours on it, and runs like a champ.

- Dave

/ X595 alternator upgrade #2  
that little metal box with the fins is the external regulator/rectifier combo it should have 5 spades on it they should all be marked if not some of us can find one for you you can take it out and hook all wires 1 to 1 and this will remove it from the system. can you supply the alternator number you put on the tractor if is a denso unit they are 2 of the smaller denso units that you can convert to a one wire 'self exciting unit' when the corrrect regulator is installed it will charge by simply by hooking the battery wire to the battery post on the alternator this is all based on you having a denso alternator. just repost what you can about this

/ X595 alternator upgrade #3  
is this a gm alternator or? what.

if it was a gm 10/12si alt, 3 wire, you can run charge line to bat hot, jumper charge line to #2 spade on alt, and then run power from switched side of ignition thru dash lamp to #1 spade on alt

this gives you idiot lamp and charge starting at about 400 rpm or so...

not sure what alt you have though.. etc..

ig a smaller gm like a cs130, you need 15-45 ohms resistance in it's exciter line

soundguy

/ X595 alternator upgrade
It's not a 10Si or 12Si alternator.

It looks like the factory 40 amp alternator option that came on the larger tractors that used the same engine.

I can get pictures and/or the part number off the box if needed.

I was debating putting a 10/12Si on, as i rebuild those all the time and have many parts laying around for them.

/ X595 alternator upgrade #5  
probably what I would have done :)

common, cheap.. easy.. :)

/ X595 alternator upgrade #6  
dave if you can please supply the part number you bought we can figure out from that what you got.

/ X595 alternator upgrade #7  
Pictures and part number would be awesome for other members.:thumbsup: I've considered this for my jd2320 as I run six lamps but useally not all at once and not for long. :drool:

/ X595 alternator upgrade
probably what I would have done :)

common, cheap.. easy.. :)

That's what i told my father, but in the end it his machine and his money, not mine.

It would've been much easier to wire in a 10Si, and by the looks of things i think it would've fit.

The alternator i have has the same plug as the little 20 amp alternator. One horizontal and one vertical spade in a "T" arrangement.

Part number is 12188N.

Here's a few pictures of both the alternator and the X595 itself, with a few attachment goodies too.

I'm guessing the forum really compresses the files, as they were much higher quality before being uploaded.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20120304_002051.jpg
    IMG_20120304_002051.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 1,208
  • IMG_20120304_002102.jpg
    IMG_20120304_002102.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 2,043
  • IMG_20120304_002129.jpg
    IMG_20120304_002129.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 1,286
  • IMG_20120304_002153.jpg
    IMG_20120304_002153.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 1,582
  • IMG_20120304_002200.jpg
    IMG_20120304_002200.jpg
    969 KB · Views: 1,342
Last edited:
   / X595 alternator upgrade #9  
yeah.. a 10si would have likely fit.. and a cs130 would surely have fit...

soundguy

/ X595 alternator upgrade #10  
now that we have picture and thanks for buying this from a georgia company have dealt with these guys for over 25 years you probably did it all by the internet. the 't' plug is set up like this if the plug looking at it in the shape of a 't' the top spade is the igniton wire the other spade is the the light if so equipped if you would rather not do this call your local rebuilder ask him to get you a transpo self exciting regulator number in254se by installing this all you have to do is hook up the battery post and off you go no wire need to be hooked up to the 't' plug. also the denso number for your alternator is 100211-4530 or 100211-4531 which by the number change only means denso did a cosmnetic change to the alternator and any rebuilder can rebuild this unit has a very good life expectancy. if you want to do this and cant find the regulator just repost i will put you in touch with someone who will sell it to you soory the 'l' terminal drive a choke for vehicle with electric choke does not run the light

Last edited: