Woodworkers? Help!

/ Woodworkers? Help! #1  

WVBill

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sold my Kubota B6100 when I moved to WA
We have a formal dining room set. Table is mahogany veneer top.
We made the mistake of putting a cheap vinyl/foam table pad on it after we used it last a couple of months ago. Getting ready for holidays last weekend, my wife took off the table pad and found that it has left marks in the gloss finish of the table everywher a dish/bowl or whatever was sitting on it for those months.

Basic furniture polish or oil did not remove the marks - they appear to be from some kind of reaction with the vinyl/foam.

My main problem is that I don't know what kind of finish is on the table top: laquer, shellac or poly.
Any ideas how to figure out what the finish is?

Short of stripping and refinishing, any ideas on how to approach removing the marks (I know it depends on what the finish is).

Thanks.

18-32378-billanim.gif

/ Woodworkers? Help! #3  
How old is the table? That will be an indicator of the type of finish - as long as it hasn't been refinished.

If the table is older, there could be a buildup of wax. You might be able to strip off the wax buildup and save the finish.

It's a start.

Terry

/ Woodworkers? Help! #4  
Stripping the table is not as hard as a lot of people think, they make wonderful chemicals these days. just make sure you use lots of tape where you don't want to strip. Perhaps a light sanding with some 4 O steel wool and a thin coat of polyurethane can be tried and if that doesn't work you can strip it.

Good Luck, PTRich