What do you guy think about using a Rut Terminator XP mulcher on a PT1460?

/ What do you guy think about using a Rut Terminator XP mulcher on a PT1460? #1  

m5040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6040 L2250, JohnDeere 310D, Ford 841 Elenco, Ford 961, Trapmaster, PT180 w/LM bucket and 45" brush cutter, PT1430 Deutz w/grapple bucket, Antonio Carraro Tigrecar 6500. John Deere 5300. Former owned Steiner 430 max, Goldoni REV Maxter 7
They sell it with a hyd motor that is supposed to work with the flow rate. Weight is within limit, but since it is out in front a good ways I wonder.

1691060881931.jpeg

/ What do you guy think about using a Rut Terminator XP mulcher on a PT1460? #2  
I own a good 36" forestry mulcher from Rut, using on a Vio45. Your concerns are valid. My mulcher is within flow rate specs and weight limitations. Mulcher can only be used about 15 degrees either side of dead front, or excavator tips. Twice I've tilted enough that it was only the dipper that kept me from tipping over. For my use, I face the trees, do my mulching, then have to back away from the trees, move over at a 45 degree angle (with boom and dipper close to the cab), and face the forest again staight ahead. It takes a lot more time than what I had hoped. I'd also hoped in future to just drive down the forest border (the old fence line), and trim and mulch. I won't be able to do that - will have to face head on for any forestry work.
If my explanation is not clear, private message me and I'll shoot you my phone number for further discussion.

/ What do you guy think about using a Rut Terminator XP mulcher on a PT1460? #3  
They sell it with a hyd motor that is supposed to work with the flow rate. Weight is within limit, but since it is out in front a good ways I wonder.

View attachment 814100

A question, and two comments:
What are you trying to do that the PT brush cutter doesn't or won't do?

I have a front mounted sweeper that is only 1,200lbs, but because the sweeper is a good five feet out from the Q/A plate, it is right on the limit of what my 1445 can lift, i.e. sharp turns cause a PT pucker.

I have occasionally thought about a pushover bar on the front of the PT brush mower, but so far at least, I have been able to push over everything that I need. My PT brush cutter does 3-4" hardwood saplings, and a second pass over the same area tends to get the larger fragments down to something reasonable, but it isn't a chipper.

All the best,

Peter

/ What do you guy think about using a Rut Terminator XP mulcher on a PT1460?
Looking to do mountain laurel and small trees. The Mnt. Laurel is very hard wood, it cracks before it bends.
I only have the rotary cutter for my 1430 and I actually only used it on grassy fields. I didn't think it robust enough to run it into small trees or the Mnt Laurel. And I don't like the way PT has the pivot engineered as when I lift it off the ground, the discharge is pointed back at the operator and the machine won't curl enough to level or raise the front up. (Unlike my PT018 which can curl up like an airplane propeller).
I see a lot of these forestry products use the technique of raising over the plant and lowering it down to grind it up. The PT deck won't allow that.

/ What do you guy think about using a Rut Terminator XP mulcher on a PT1460? #5  
Looking to do mountain laurel and small trees. The Mnt. Laurel is very hard wood, it cracks before it bends.
I only have the rotary cutter for my 1430 and I actually only used it on grassy fields. I didn't think it robust enough to run it into small trees or the Mnt Laurel. And I don't like the way PT has the pivot engineered as when I lift it off the ground, the discharge is pointed back at the operator and the machine won't curl enough to level or raise the front up. (Unlike my PT018 which can curl up like an airplane propeller).
I see a lot of these forestry products use the technique of raising over the plant and lowering it down to grind it up. The PT deck won't allow that.
Hmmm...you might want to check with Terry. I can certainly lift mine, with the front lip of the brush mower lifting up. There are three mounting positions for q/a mount on to the deck of my mower. I have it as far forward as I can get it, which puts the rear of the mower closer to the tractor, and favors the front lifting. There are also fore/aft tilt motion limiter bolts on mine.

The modification that I had thought of, but not done above would be to bolt a bar between the two front wheels to make a push over bar to get more brush under the mower just by driving forward.

All the best,

Peter

Hmmm...you might want to check with Terry. I can certainly lift mine, with the front lip of the brush mower lifting up. There are three mounting positions for q/a mount on to the deck of my mower. I have it as far forward as I can get it, which puts the rear of the mower closer to the tractor, and favors the front lifting. There are also fore/aft tilt motion limiter bolts on mine.

The modification that I had thought of, but not done above would be to bolt a bar between the two front wheels to make a push over bar to get more brush under the mower just by driving forward.

All the best,

Peter
On both my PT rotary cutters, in reference to the selection of "three mounting positions for q/a mount on to the deck", I have them pushed forward (causes front of deck to drop when lifted) as I have found the front tractor wheels interfere with the rear deck wheels on rough terrain and when climbing hills.
This interference occurs even with the deck in front position if I keep it curled back so when I have to lift the deck the front will lift (PT018), or as close as possible to lifting (PT1430). When curled back, it brings the deck closer to the wheels, if uncurled they don't interfere.
Maybe that is the key, keep the deck rear-heavy so it tills up on its own allowing me to keep the curl forward. You might loose that if you add a push bar at the front.

When I change the "There are also fore/aft tilt motion limiter bolts on mine.", the deck wasn't allowed to till forward to follow ground contour in many situations.

And to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire, I found at what I think is a good price (so can sell if doesn't work with machine), a Skid Pro SP500-48" forestry mulcher. Weight is the SAME at 1500lbs but weight is much closer to machine then 5' rotary with bull-push bar in front?? Pressure and flow meet requirements.

Pic of SP500 on skid steer, looks like it is as close as a cutter can be to the lift point.
1691148104477.png

/ What do you guy think about using a Rut Terminator XP mulcher on a PT1460? #9  
Those forestry mulchers are pretty terrifying and amazing machines. The county here uses them periodically to mulch areas around here. I thought about buying one as a fuel reduction business.

If you think that the weight will work for your tractor and the flow is in spec for your machine, I would give it a try. I would plan on the skid steer adapter plate adding another 100-150lbs.

Keep us posted!

All the best,

Peter

/ What do you guy think about using a Rut Terminator XP mulcher on a PT1460? #10  
I think the sp500 forestry mulcher design is a better for the bigger trees (coming down from the top) than the rut terminator brush cutter design?
Guess it would depend on if you think trees will be slowing you down or if the heavy brush will be slowing you down?