Two tractor plan: hitch category considerations

/ Two tractor plan: hitch category considerations #11  
+++^^^^+++
Amen to that.

I learned very quick to appreciate my QH. Now I'm adding T-n-T and three remotes. Telescoping anything just means a bunch of fumbling around when there's work to be done. A QH cuts the BS up front. And I don't just drive a lawnmower. :rolleyes:

3 tractors, 3 different brands of QH and different brands of implements - all interchangeable. Modded 2 implements to have standardized top hook height.
Ideas to make implements QH compatible | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

/ Two tractor plan: hitch category considerations #12  
+++^^^^+++
Amen to that.

I learned very quick to appreciate my QH. Now I'm adding T-n-T and three remotes. Telescoping anything just means a bunch of fumbling around when there's work to be done. A QH cuts the BS up front. And I don't just drive a lawnmower. :rolleyes:

I'm not just your average hack.
Everyone gets to have their opinion, you don't have to agree. If you think because I currently own "just a Scag" means I don't have over 50 years owning, operating and maintaining tractors and equipment (many years as a career) along with almost 25 years of dealership experience you'd be mistaken. I will say adding a hydraulic top link or top and tilt makes a QH more user friendly so long as one's implements are fully compatible. Too many implements are incompatible with QHs for me to ever have wanted one.

/ Two tractor plan: hitch category considerations #13  
Quick hitches are oversold and overrated for tractors under 75 or so hp. Telescoping draft links and telescoping tubular stabilizers coupled with an operator that understands how to use hydraulics and simple adjustments rather than his (her) back will go a long ways.
For Northern NY a cabbed Kubota MX with the dual category hitch would be well worth a look.

I can certainly agree with that,
I have used quick hitchs and while they do make some parts of the hooking up easier at times, some times they are worse.
And if the implement in question has a PTO to be hooked up I absolutely no use for a quick hitch.
Trying to reach in or around a quick hitch to attach a PTO shaft is an exercise in aggravation,
not enough room for me and PTO with the quick hitch.
I much prefer either the telescoping links or even better the hook style lift arms;
Lift Arms-Quick Coupling
lift arm.jpg

Attaching Implement
1. Adjust the lift arms to the hitching width for the specific implement by means of stabilizers (A).
2. With lift arms lowered, reverse tractor until the lift arm coupler hooks are below the implement hitch points.
3. Slowly raise lift arms until implement hitch points are engaged in coupler hooks and locked into position.

/ Two tractor plan: hitch category considerations #14  
Unless your 2 tractors are similar in HP, each will need equipment sized respectively. Meaning, the big tractor will damage your small disc and the small tractor will not handle the big disc.
Myself, use a 35 hp with backhoe, 7' mower, boxblade, Taylor Pasture Dream planter and irrigation pump. None of this will transfer to big tractor.
85hp has 10' mower, 8' disc, IH end wheel drill, 7200 drawn 4r planter, New Idea supersheller/gravity wagon and 2yd dirtpan. None of this will work on small tractor.
The only thing that is for both is a set of forks and brush bucket that is too big for small tractor and to light for big tractor.
I keep the yard around cabin mowed with small tractor, grade drive, move implements and mow a narrow levee around a duckhole. The bigger tractor stays in the shed until time to plant and harvest the fields, move dirt to maintain levees or moving big things with forks.
20180325_144520.jpeg
20191014_142703.jpeg
20180503_171618_001.jpeg

/ Two tractor plan: hitch category considerations #15  
You don't see very many of those older New Idea picker shellers anymore.
It wasn't that many years ago that we were still running a 2 row snapper unit for ear corn.

/ Two tractor plan: hitch category considerations #16  
You don't see very many of those older New Idea picker shellers anymore.
It wasn't that many years ago that we were still running a 2 row snapper unit for ear corn.

I ran one over 2-300 acres every fall for a dozen years or more. That's one part of farming I don't miss in the least.

/ Two tractor plan: hitch category considerations #17  
I ran one over 2-300 acres every fall for a dozen years or more. That's one part of farming I don't miss in the least.

I can recall being out on the Farmall 400 or the 560 at the end running that snapper all bundled up and that ol russian style cap with the fur lined ear flaps pulled down and snapped under my chin in a snow squall, at least we usually had the heat houser on by then.
Times sure have changed, quite often for the better :drink:

/ Two tractor plan: hitch category considerations #18  
Wasn't bad enough to do our hundred or so acres. I shelled another farmers' corn every year and often another odd job came up. Our silo wasn't big enough so we had to save some and refill just before Christmas......

/ Two tractor plan: hitch category considerations #19  
I shell less than 50 ac so its not too bad. Not enough to hire a custom cutter or even buy a old junk combine. Works for me for now.

/ Two tractor plan: hitch category considerations #20  
You made it sound like anyone with less than a 75hp tractor is just running a garden plot and doesn't need a QH. I bet 90%+ of the members here have less than a 75hp tractor. It's not shameful to want to change from a tiller to a cutter or driveway tender to do other work with your only tractor. Even if it is less than 75hp. A QH makes it easier.